🦀 Hero bans aren't happening! Second Crab

Second-best news I have heard all week! Thank GOD we ain’t actually getting heri bans, because boy we really don’t need the game to be even more restrictive when it comes to, y’know, playing the game

21 Likes

as someone who’s against 2-2-2, thank god hero bans aren’t in as well. Crab.

5 Likes

People need to realize that we have nowhere near enough tanks/supports for hero bans to not wreck the game.

Banning main tanks alone literally destroys 1/3 of the compositions in the game.

13 Likes

I also feel we’d need a lot more overlap in utility within the tank and support roles for it to work too. Right now, if we had hero bans, and we banned Lucio, there goes any team-wide speed boost. If we ban Ana, there goes anti-heal. If we ban Mercy, there goes beam healing and Rez. If we ban Brigitte, there goes any temporary armor.

And out of the tanks, Orisa is our only bunker main tank. D.Va is the only off tank that can really contest high ground.

For tanks and supports, if you ban one option, you could very well be banning an entire niche/playstyle. Banning Orisa completely rules out bunker. Banning Lucio makes deathball much more difficult to run.

Meanwhile, for the DPS, if you ban one hero, they’ll almost always have another option.

If you ban Widow, they have Hanzo, McCree, and Ashe as other options.

If you ban Doomfist, they have Genji and Tracer as other options.

If you ban Bastion…well, you really won’t be doing anything since nobody plays Bastion right now.

The only DPS hero really affected by it would be Sombra. No other DPS hero can disable abilities like she can. But just about every other hero has alternatives.

5 Likes
1 Like

I feel like hero bans have places in OW, like in arcade game modes like MH or CTF Blitz. Honestly, I just tried CTF Blitz and there’s a Mei in every single game. If you’re Mei-less you’re doomed. If the enemy team has 1-2 mercy mains on MH, gl getting rid of them as they res everyone, preventing death penalization.

As for the actual core part of the game, I don’t feel like OW is prepared for hero bans. The healer/tank pools are way too small and hero bans will inevitably cause players to lose, not because people are unskilled but some counter play strats would be totally unavailable. Like I’ve been telling people since the birth of OW, that the tank/healer pools need more heroes; stop adding more DPS heros THAT WE DO NOT NEED.

1 Like

I’m actually pretty happy about it. I was worried at first and kind of accepted it would come eventually. But knowing it’s not, it’s a strange sigh of relief.

4 Likes

Sad Crab. ;-; I wish I could choose not to have doomfist in every game.

1 Like

Same. I was pretty much convinced that hero bans was going to be announced by the forum. Quite happy that it’s not.

1 Like

I think hero ban may work at pro tournament levels, not casual.

1 Like

One tricks: 222 and hero ban will restrict out freedom!
Also one tricks: Restricts self to playing one hero all the time.

5 Likes

I used to OTH, then I started to flex suddenly the game is enjoyable again lmao.

Reality Crab. Learn how to counter him yourself if he’s such a big problem, and then punish him until he switches.

To also quote papa jeff, Overwatch is about mastering multiple heroes.

this sucks would love to ban that slutttt widow every game

1 Like

Boy are you right with this one. Seeing Papa Jeff shoot down the idea and telling us that almost all of them think that it’s a bad idea is very good news for the game. The best news though are the upcoming balance policies that they’re going to start following from now on. The big announcement is 4-6 months late because I know that they’ve been planning this from last fall and were going to make changes, but let’s hope that they post-poned it just to give us a “polished experience”

1 Like

I wouldn’t jump for joy yet because the new system could be seasonal hero rotation.

It’s going to happen eventually.

Especially with 5-10 new heroes being supposedly added once the sequel drops.

Hero bans would maybe be interesting to try out

You got off lucky moira mains, you really did.

How am I supposed to counter him as Zen? Or Bap? With Bap I have immorality, but then my team doesn’t have it. And Zen literally has to ult. There is no countering him as most non-mobile healers.