šŸ”· How the "5 DPS instalocks" problem could've been solved

Yeah, and? As soon as you switch from tank it stops being 222, what are you talking about?

OQ is not and will never be balanced. It is not and never will be fair to play. It should not receive the same rewards for being a valid competitive mode. SR is enough.

And iā€™m talking about the day after freedom [smirk] queue was implemented, where you can get a genuine, meaninful measurement of the playerbase. I noticed you didnt answer any of the questions as to the integrity of your stats. Iā€™m going to assume you cant, so my evidence that DPS is a far more popular role that you can test RIGHT NOW for yourself is far more meaningful.

Iā€™m saying 2-2-2 isnā€™t always the best way to go

Your bias is showing. Every alternative competitive mode has given CP.

You asked where I got them and I answered

Nope, in fact you might have had it a few times, the thing is you donā€™t remember the times you didnā€™t have it. Same thing with people saying theyā€™re only losing over and over again, they donā€™t remember the wins.

It was such a myth I played VS AI for nearly 1000 hours. Just to never play in QP.

And? Just because 222 wasnt the optimum comp, doesnt mean its not the most acceptable for good quality games.

Oh, yeah, sorry - i meant if OQ was permanent. Iā€™m cool if its just a temporary mode like all the rest.

I asked these questions also, did you miss them?

• Tell me exactly how those stats were calculated, please?
  • Do they take into account role switching?
  • Which ones were actually playing the role they wanted?
  • Which ones were just swapping because they felt they had to, and werenā€™t actually any good at the role?

while this thread is alive iā€™d like to share this post here, thank you

I admit that may be the case, does that make it any better when it happens?

Thatā€™s what you want the matchmaking system to do.

Many problems with this.

What if I want to play a different role? Suppose I play support for two days, then want to DPS. How do I do that? Sounds like I just have to throw games for a while as a third DPS to get queued properly.

What are you going to do when there are more DPS players available than other types?

What if a teammate refuses to play the role the system thought they would?

Where do people who play multiple roles go?

1 Like

No.

I primarily play tank and healer, but there are somedays where Iā€™m fed up with bad teammates and go DPS. This change would basically force me to flex tank/healer forever.

Do you mind explaining why I had 5 dps in my last 5 ques?

5 Likes

It also always relied on flex players to sigh, give up playing what they wanted to play, and play tank. I hated that. Iā€™d go on big streaks of games where I had to tank regardless of what I wanted to play simply because nobody else would do it. Solo tanking too, natch.

Dont give me ptsdā€¦shivers

The problem isnĀ“t role queue.

Main problem is how the game is built from the beginning. They gave us shields, not simple shields that are used to block when it matters but shields that you put down and that has to be melted down by heavy force. This makes for a slow paced shooter.

The issue this creates is that the shield placers canĀ“t also be dps, they have to be limited to being a ā€œtankā€ or else the game wont be balanced. This means barely anyone wants to be just a ā€œtankā€ that canĀ“t carry your team and go on a kill streak. Most satisfying part about shooters is killing people and getting streaks. This is why dps role is most popular.

Same goes for support. They provide big heals, built as main healers/support and there for canā€™t also at the same time be able to deal big damage (with the exception of moira, this is also why she is the most played support). So a support canĀ“t carry the game either, they are a little bit more fun to play than tanks though because you feel like you are doing a lot more in the game, it feels more rewarding.

This is why a lot of people are hyping up Valorant. A hero shooter that is fast paced and doesnā€™t have the whole main tank/main support thing going on. There are heroes that provide a tank or support role but they are still able to dish out the same damage as everyone else whilst providing tank or support abilities.

Since Overwatch is built as a slow paced/strategy kind of shooter the main problem is that the game lacks tanks/supports and also more interesting ways to play a tank/support.

TLDR;

Tank role and Support role in Overwatch makes the game slow paced and more strategy based rather than a fast paced shooter. This makes players go for DPS role since it is the most fast paced role and is able to carry games which is the most satisfactory part of shooters. Since Overwatch did not go for the fast paced shooter approach they need to provide more tank and support roles to give variety and more interesting ways to play the game as a tank or support.

definitely not a myth?

Honestly, the problem with tanks is just balance.

Barrier tanks are too good. They do not have enough removed from their kit to be equal to the non barrier tanks. Nobody would ever say Roadhog is equivalent to Reinhardt, or even Orisa.

Alright. So if 5 DPS stacks never happened, why is 2-2-2 a problem if there were never that many DPS in one match to begin with?

1 Like

But the 5dps instalock issue was solved ages ago: GOATS

Agreed but they need to get rid of hero bans in that queue. Itā€™s still too restrictive for supports or tanks.

Hero bans were what killed comp for me. Not 2/2/2. Some supports just wonā€™t work with certain team comps. Other times if no one is swapping for one hero there might be only one support in the roster that can counter that enemy team pick.

Hero bans have been the most miserable pick for such a small roster

5 dpsinstalock was not a myth back in the day. In fact, it was common and frequent. I imagine it still prevalent in Arcadeā€™s hell hole that Arcade is.

1 Like