šŸ“ Why are people posting about Hong Kong? [Explanation]

For me itā€™s actually been the only game on the Switch Iā€™ve wanted to use the online features for. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty of people like me that havenā€™t cared until now.

Also just for some added clarification, OW has been in Nintendoā€™s featured games list since it released.

1 Like

And the same reason they wanted Bayonetta (also a 6 year old ā€œfranchiseā€ with only 2 games so not exactly established) is the same reason they want OW, it appeals OUTSIDE the standard Nintendo bubble which they want.

Banjo Kazooie has not had a game at all in over a decade, and not a proper game in almost 2 decades and is not even the property of NIntendo (so any game that would be made would be exclusive to NOT them) and they STILL get a character in Smash. There is no hard and fast rule about characters in Smash. If people want it, and its popular, it will appear in Smash so a well-established franchise such as OW with a sequel likely to be announced at Blizzcon that will probably also come out on Switch with tons of very popular characters does not just scream ā€œPut A character inā€ it screams ā€œCan we maybe Pokemon this franchise?ā€

Rare was very close to Nintendo before Microsoft bought them, Rare even made a DK game, not mention a lot of other iconic games, such as Perfect Dark, Golden Eye and Conkerā€¦

i forgot about those games, thank you for reminding me.

The potentialy volatile political situation was forced upon them.

though, if you have noticed, until banjo kazooie, all smash characters were made in japan originally

Why I said try

It really couldā€™ve been anyoneā€¦blizz happened to have the incident

Odd you mention this, when OW on Switch is being pushed really hard in the UK. Adverts everywhere, including the sides of buses.

manā€¦the uk IS weird

SEGA DOES
What NINTEN Donā€™t ?

Nintendoā€™s eshop doesnā€™t offer any refunds under normal circumstances

I have gotten refunds on stuff I bought on their e-shop before. Now either I am the luckiest person alive or you can get refunds on stuff bought on that store if you go through a very tedious process. Nice of them to streamline it at least so I will give them credit for that.

Also donā€™t forget that Bayonetta won the character poll they had at the time.

Iā€™m fine with this. People have their opinions and I agree with supporting with your wallet. I would rather have the entirety of my blizzard account deleted than be tempted to support the shell of a company this used to be.

Again, Bayonetta had an EXCLUSIVE GAME ON THE WIIU; Did OW have it?
And Nintendo bought Bayonetta..

That is why Bayonetta is on Smash.

Search about the backstory between Nintendo and Rare (I canā€™t post links)ā€¦

Thatā€™s not true, otherwise, we would have characters like the Fortnite characters or Steve from Minecraft (both games are more popular than OW).

It is not a francheise if there is only one gameā€¦

Overwatch in the levels as Pokemon?

HA, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ULTIMATE FINAL MEGA EXTREME BIG BANG ROFLMFAO :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Oh god, my lungs are collapsing, I canā€™t breath, HELP!

Best joke ever, here, take this: :trophy::1st_place_medal:.

The Smash community wants Sora from Kingdom Hearts far more than any hero from Overwatch. And he has more credibility, with at least 4 Kingdom Hearts games having been on a Nintendo system.

Also for those of you arguing about ā€œrequirementsā€ for Smash heroes, just remember Cloud is a thing. While Final Fantasy has been on Nintendo, Final Fantasy VII (the game Cloud specifically is from) wasnā€™t on any Nintendo system at all until the Switch, and even then just recently. The only claim Cloud can have to being on a Nintendo system itself in any ā€œlegacyā€ function is through said Kingdom Hearts games.

1 Like

Youā€™ll have to show me that. Blizzard was originally a small American company not the international corporate juggernaut it is today, itā€™s far easier to believe these core values were designed with teamwork and cooperation in mind, than the idea that one day theyā€™d happily allow or even encourage gamers to make divisive political statements in the midst of ongoing violent revolutions broadcast to millions of viewers on their live public-facing platforms.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/23185888/regarding-last-weekend-s-hearthstone-grandmasters-tournament

in this statement they clearly address their ā€œprinciplesā€ and say that they still hold them, they didnā€™t say ā€œwe mean that from a game developing pointā€ they say ā€œyes we still hold that valueā€ when the point of it being a thing applied to people in the world was being pushed on them.

a quote on what every voice matters means, from the man J. Allen Brack himself

Every Voice Matters, and we strongly encourage everyone in our community to share their viewpoints in the many places available to express themselves. However, the official broadcast needs to be about the tournament and to be a place where all are welcome. In support of that, we want to keep the official channels focused on the game.

1 Like

It seems that even US politicians have written a letter to Blizzard, condemning them. Oh boy.

5 Likes

But again, even in the context of this official statement, itā€™s made very clear that those core values donā€™t support people using their public facing platforms for that kind of commentary. Even if the statement extends outwards to recognize value in the views of the international gaming community itself, it doesnā€™t inherently mean theyā€™re obligated to host those views.

Itā€™s weird because youā€™re referencing a quote that clearly demarcates those boundaries with regards to Blizzardā€™s core values as evidence of hypocrisy and inconsistency. Heā€™s basically saying ā€œyes, every voice matters, and there are appropriate places for you as a player to share your views that we encourage you to use, but our gaming/tournament platforms arenā€™t the appropriate platform for themā€. :man_shrugging: