✅ Fixing BarrierTanks and OffTanks

I feel like that would need be some playtesting.

But pretty much anything with a SpeedBoost would work.

And besides which, lower ranks have trouble getting 1x barrier, much less 2x barrier. That actually coordinate.
And even then, PharMercy could probably wreak havoc on that.

Could even throw in some Symmetra buffs.

Even with the reduced health I’d be concerned if I’m honest- especially if “dive” is the intended counter.

As far as dive is concerned- I feel the devs have done too much to make dive too difficult as a whole. So many heroes on their own now counter dive pretty darn hard. Heroes like Brigitte come to mind. Stuns, displacements, armor time those you dive. Damage that goes through the defenses of all the dive tanks.

And while the tanks in question have less health and may be more susceptible to damage-

Upping their damage, in combination with how strongly dive can be shut down- might double up against dive as it is.

Especially in regards to the dive heroes who aren’t tanks themselves.

For example even with less health - at 80 a swing rein is 2 shotting tracer.

It’d be scary to dive for so many reasons-

And I have my concerns the game would just go further down a “let’s just shoot at barriers” path

1 Like

Well he already does.

1 Like

Well it might end up being something like a Winston/Ball/Reaper/Doom dive.

Also I added Mei to the Tank pool, which means she can’t Peel against Dive/Speed comps for DoubleBarrier.

Which in particular makes Hammond Dive a ton more viable.

Orisa with 350 health and 20% fortify would be pretty terrible, even with large barriers and a damage bump. She would legitimately be the easiest hero in the game to kill.

2 Likes

If it’s too much, they could always scale it back a bit.

But it’s not like you would expect the counter to doublebarrier to be at medium range, where you have to burn through 2-3 barriers before you can begin to damage the tanks.

So making them counterable at close range is the answer.

If the worry is about getting run over too much. Then an offtank would help with that.
(Which is kinda the point, making it be a “problem” to not have an offtank)

1 Like

Thank you for mentioning me.
OffTanks and DiveTanks kind would be more of an advantage since BarrierTanks would have to be way more cautious about their durability if they don’t land their shots or when without their barriers. It’s like bringing an OffTank as a security guard for the BarrierTank will be more advantageous than having 2 BarrierTanks.

1 Like

I think the better option is to accept that the current Rein+1 state of things, and the results of when Rein was banned show that the rest of the tanks are fairly on par and can be played sufficiently well together to offer more diversity.

With that in mind I feel like it’s better to re-balance Rein so he’s less barrier and more akin to where the rest of the tank roster is now and more focused on the rest of his kit.

Orisa could still use another 100 on her barrier though.

1. That makes barriers really weak, without solving for snipers, bionade, earthshatter, or Ult charge feeding.
  2. Even if that could balance tanks, I don’t think it would make them fundamentally more popular.
  1. I think a more mobile, spread game makes those things weaker by default. All those thing, ES and BG especially benefit from standing around and clustering up.

Being forced to move and spread using map cover keeps snipers on their toes and offers a lot less fat, slow bodies to feed ults with.

1. Being more brawly/fighty might actually help, people tend to gravitate toward those considered off tanks or fat dps as it is.

But more fundamentally, I think not-tanking is a bigger gameplay mindset decision, and has less to do with what’s on offer or how it plays and a lot more to do with dps having more social prestige.

I am sure it will. People want to pew pew, if all the tanks would be a big fat pew pew and players won’t be pressured to play rectangles instead of being pew pew, more people will try more different flavors of pew pew.

Rein will never pew pew.

Allow him to shoot hammers!

2 Likes

As someone who never plays Reinhardt… this would make me play Rein. Just give him a Shao Kahn skin and we Gucci.

1 Like

Also, I play Guild Wars 2, a fantasy MMORPG, they have a Revenant class. Sort of a shaman warrior. So revenant can use a hammer as ranged weapon and shoot ghostly hammers with it.

1 Like

Doing some math (using approximate numbers) for a custom game mode:

Here we have to raise Orisa’s health by 50% to obtain a 900 hp barrier, but increase damage received by 93% and increase healing received by 93% to make her get a 350 hp durability.

Raise Sigma’s health by 45% to obtain a 1300 hp barrier, but increase damage received by 66% and increase healing received by 66% to make him get a 350 hp durability.

Raise Rein’s health by 12,5% to obtain a 1800 hp barrier, but increase damage received by 40,5% and increase healing received by 40,5% to make him get a 400 hp durability.

Nice. And that’s also one of the features I was going for with this.

Almost entirely stuff that can be done without a code change patch.

Should be able to get most of it into a workshop.

You’re going to make people redundant by doing their job for Blizz for nothing.

2 Likes

I figure he can join the club :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, feels like this is one of the few Tank Fix ideas I’ve come up with that really helps OffTanks feel more relevant for Tanking.