Why play ARAM when you are unwilling to fill?

LoL, entrapment! I’m usually suspicious of a lot of people’s perception about their experiences, but if someone says they suck at something, I think that’s something you should just take at face value lol. It’s not something people will often readily admit, and requires a bit of self reflection and awareness to not be susceptible to dunning-krueger.

For me, playing a nontraditional comp the best you can is more fun than watching a train wreck that you know shouldn’t happen. Lowered expectations!

2 Likes

People who get pent up over an aram game are the worst. Its a ridiculous and a reflection of your mental stability.

Aram is a joke mode. Just pick something and do your best not to feed. Unless you’re doing a tournament draft doesn’t matter.

4 Likes

Because when the only tank is Stitches or the only healer is Malfurion, heroes I not only don’t play but despise the playstyles of and I won’t suffer through a game where even winning would drive me nuts as I’m wasting time trying to make work somthin I hate playing

I never played a single game of ARAM. Is it fun?

Healer is the only real gripe if your team isnt going full sustain because you end up just sitting there unable to do anything with low hp or you die a lot.

A tank is not necessary in ARAM at all and I dont care if we dont get one if the team comp works. In fact a lot of fun is to be had building a meme comp and smashing a vanilla try hard comp.

The only real change that needs to happen is someone always having only healer options.

Meme comps are why I play ARAM. 2 lilis, uther, valla, azmo or something like that can be a lot of fun.

Or dbl uther dbl valla kerri.

If you want a vanilla tank/heal/dps comp play ranked.

ARAM is memes and memes are life.

4 Likes

This post doesn’t make much sense.

There is more to ARAM than shuffle pick. Specifically the “AM” part of ARAM. Of course, that’s ignoring the fact that the “AR” part stopped existing a long time ago.

Just because someone doesn’t pick what’s needed or meta doesn’t mean they aren’t trying to win. The bare minimum for that is to sincerely try. Anything else is tacked on by others to suit preferences, playstyle or expectations.

We can flip this around and say if you care about taking comps that seriously, go to ranked.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting changes but tbh you can’t blame someone for playing the way blizz allows.

Also, good time to drop off this bookmark again

3 Likes

That’s exactly what they did.

You understand that if you had to pick a healer if you have the only healer (or tank or whatever), it’s no longer a choice?

I mean, you can get exactly what you want by playing ranked. Why play ARAM?

this is true. I usually fill whatever is missing though, but lately I see alot of players just picking anything.

And they 100% have the right to pick whomever, but this IS a team game. The teams needs should come as a priority rather than just yours.

Yeah it should but again really the only thing this is relevant to is if your team has a bunch of picks like genji/kt/gaz or w/e picks that have little to no sustain for hp and people refuse to pick a healer.

The match is basically thrown and a waste of everyones time. I cant remember ever winning a healerless match when the team didnt all have sustain options.

In fact I barely remember winning any healerless matches vs a healer team even when you get good sustain. I won one recently where I was TB varian and we had basically all sustain but even that was a lot of work to make things go right in fights.

Really you need one healer or the match is excruciating usually.

Tanks dont matter a whole lot if the comps right.

Yeah, but what are the team’s “needs”? Is it playing a hero that you have little experience with and are terrible at? People like to assume that there is the choice of between the hypothetical optimal choice and the worse choice, and misunderstanding that is often a fantasy, and that choosing the suboptimal choice is the less bad choice.

I mean we gotta use a little common sense here. Let’s say we need a healer, and you’re the only one with a healer, you should probably try.

IF we need a tank, and you are the only person with the tank, you should probably try.
also depends on your regions meta.

here is usually 1-2 tank 2 healers and a dps that can sustain themselves.

Another thing is CC. IF we have no CC and youre the only person who’s got CC you should prob pick it.

Double diablo is extremely strong in ARAM due to the flip stun charge and etc. I was just in a game with 2 diablo on our team (one was me) and we just walked all over them.

1 Like

Nothing you’re saying is wrong. But your post ignores the heart of my comment and attempts to go back to the hypothetical optimal situation. The danger lies in assuming that common sense is applicable to everyone’s comfort and experience level. You can wish that you had a capable healer or tank all you want, it doesn’t mean the person who has the option, will be good at it though.

Nope nope nope, there’s no obligation to fill any roles in ARAM. People will fill if it is a tank or healer they WANT to play. Maybe they don’t like their teammates names or the heroes they are picking? I get bad vibes a lot on this game at character selection. I won’t always fill …depends on what I got going on. The game before I picked Murky over a tank I went tank and people had good choices and we ended up with 3 healers (one didn’t even show his pick), no good damage and one healer who kept chain dying.

So yea, why keep repeating insanity by always picking the tank or healer to fill? Murky popped up and I went with it. The meta DPS players (nazeebo, li ming, Azmo) cried that I didn’t pick a tank. Guess what? We stomped the enemy team and I called them all out at the end.

Don’t even need to fill roles when it’s random b/c you have no clue what the enemy team will be. If you got OP steamrolling type heroes like Junkrat, Azmodan, Li Ming, Nazeebo, KT…just overwhelming damage, you can safely go whatever you want and have a high chance of winning. That’s because these dudes will be topping damage while staying 2-3 screens back, they might not even need a tank or healer depending what random heroes you are up against. If people aren’t picking what you want, then just pick what you really want instead to counter them/get some enjoyment out of the game instead of policing our picks.

1 Like

People don’t realize the ARAMs used to be Brawls, which was a silly mode that doesn’t even matter and is more about having fun. It got changed to ARAM for some reason though, and people now compare it to either a one-lane match or ARAM from LoL. People really should start taking this mode less seriously. Its not like the game mode was made to be balanced anyway, since the choices you’re given are purely random.

Adding in factors that ensure decent comps defeats the purpose of ARAM. Sometimes you’re given a hero you know and like, sometimes you’re not. Its random. If you want matches where you will have certain roles filled (at least more often than not in QM) then play the other game modes since they’re more geared for that.

1 Like

ARAM from the beginning was you joining a ARAM lobby and que up random man. Then you were given a random hero to play. New brawl force out a semi draft that force some people into roles they properly are bad with or dont want to play. And that forced draft was later on enforced by elitelists that report people for not picking the only healer/tank option his team had.

Those players force people to play meta comps or they wil just afk if they dont get what they want. But that is just human behavior.

1 Like

The problem is literally in the question.

Why play ARAM when you are unwilling to fill?

ARAM means All Random All Mid. The mode HOTS offers has nothing to do with that. It’s a tryhard mode for many people who pick the best comp out of 15 heroes. This is completely against the idea of ARAM and a game design problem. Another game design problem in that mode is that certain spells are not nerfed there. Several ranged abilities or talents are just broken there.

Still, the community should not blame people who thread ARAM as it should be - random. Even thought it will be most likely a loss. Ranked is for Tryhard.

Blizzard never understood the problem in their game.

I think that’s the heart of the issue. The hero selection screen gives the illusion of a “draft” where really it isn’t as you have no idea what the enemy is taking, but the illusion is convincing enough that many players expect people to “draft” and “fill”, where ARAM is supposed to be random.

It doesn’t help that the hero selection will often highlight a healer (I think sometimes tank?) if you’re the only player to have that role. The highlighting further helps to reinforce the idea that ARAM is a semi-draft mode.

It is a draft because people draft the best team out of 15 heroes…
Very for away from all random.

Because it’s really funny when you win a game with three Novas vs a “meta comp”.

1 Like

I personally missed the old days of QM where one team might have a tank or a healer and the other might not. It makes victory all the sweeter when you overcome the odds, and defeat more interesting since you get to explore new team comps and strategies as the ship goes down in flames.