Why isnt HOTS doing cross promotions anymore?

They did cross-promotions with OW for Genji and Dva releases, and I think it was very successful at bringing new players to the game. Obviously you don’t want to do it so often it gets obnoxious, but I feel that we’ve largely given up on cross promotions. For instance, Blizzard could offer a Hearthstone card to people who complete a set of quests in HOTS. They could do another exclusive skin event. There are a lot of cool things that blizzard could be doing to increase the HOTS playerbase, so I don’t understand why they aren’t anymore.

21 Likes

I fully support this, they have D2 Remastered or whatever coming, here is a perfect opportunity to make an exclusive skin tie in with HOTS. The audience returning for D2 may be players who either have never played D3, or have been away for a long time and aren’t aware of HOTS.

I’ve been saying the same. I understand they may not have any budget for advertising, but I remember how successful the Overwatch crossover was in bringing in new players. Cross promotion should also be very cost effective compared to traditional advertising.

10 Likes

I joined bc the original Overwatch Cross Promotion, never stopped, because it’s such a great game. I wish they would do more Cross Promotions :frowning:

14 Likes

Baffles me. Like it seems to be a no-brainer to me. Maybe I just don’t understand something and I’m actually wrong to think this, dunno.
But it’s likely that the reason is HotS’ “classic”-status. Which is rather sad.

5 Likes

It was a WoW cross-promotion that brought me here. I wanted the mount, and ended up loving the game.

6 Likes

My guess is that it’s risky to do.

WoW still makes them a lot of coin. To bring them to HOTS could open doors to mobas in general and may push them towards Dota or LoL as well. If that’s the case they could lose customers which at this point, they do not. I’d assume same goes with the other games.

This is my guess. I don’t have the actual answer.

1 Like

I agree WoW is in a weird spot, but the answer to that would be a fairly priced Blizzard subscription. Prices of Youtube Premium and HBO GO vary between 30-50% of the US price here in my country, and that’s comparatively (wage equality) overpriced, a little ($1000 a month is well above average income). $5 a month for all Blizzard, no content fees (expansion), no MTX and I’m game forever.

I basically stopped WoW because I play other games. I remember earlier on when I wouldn’t play other games because I had to play WoW so as to not waste the sub. But then I found good things and now it’s the other way around.

3 Likes

Cross promotion helps a lot, but I believe they should be advertising HOTS and WC 3 Reforged more, especially on youtube. Recently I’ve seen WoW Burning Crusade advertised on youtube and it’s been advertising a lot! At this point, they’d be able to pump HOTS numbers up through youtube.

As long as it needs the players to win games, I’m cool with it.

Don’t make Oni Genji skin event again when they just had to play something like 15 HotS games to unlock a skin in Overwatch, and those morons only afk’ed to unlock their skin.

1 Like

One time that we got their Overwatch spot that the fans account got both Genji & D.Va as heroes & announcers (the letter are to buying during Hanzo patch notes) as recently 2 OW heroes is still best even with D.Va rework.

As I can seek to owned I already owned D.Va meanwhile Genji is still want to buying after Junkrat as I can buying.

Because the people that crossed over would flood the game and do the minimum to achive their reward then bail on the game making overall game quality even more garbage than normal.

Basically the conversion rate of “other game players” to HOTS wasn’t big enough to warrant the hassle of pissing off the existing player base.

HotS doesn’t do advertisement. Must be against the religion of whoever’s in charge.

3 Likes

I fall into the camp of, “I came here for free stuff.”. Once I was done collecting things for my account, I went right back to games I enjoy playing.

Doing cross promotions is really good. If I remember, they were all events that gave away free stuff. You think they are still willing to give away stuff? I mean, they charged an enormous amount for Blizzconline.

2 Likes

You can’t pay B. K.’s 200 Million Bonus, if you spend money for advertisements /s

1 Like