Why is there a "HET!" emoji?

I dont understand. Is this supposed to be “het” as in “heterosexual”? I really dont know what this is supposed to mean.

if it is supposed to be a heterosexual emoji i dont think it should be in the game, considering the developers havent added any gay pride emojis or skins and people get their pitchforks and torches out at the very request of these things. In addition, the heterosexual emoji might be used in hateful ways.

So im just hoping for clarification on what this is supposed to mean exactly?

Нет! , also known as the No! Poster, is a Soviet Russian anti-alcohol propaganda poster featuring an illustration of a man refusing a drink by making a dismissive gesture towards a hand offering a shot glass, which has been widely photoshopped into humorous messages on the Russian web and elsewhere online.

10 Likes

Strange. I had never heard of that before

4 Likes

Also I thought the Russian for no was “nyet” not “het”

Also those looked like Greek letters in the game. The E was definitely a sigma

if you type in “HET” for google translate, it just mirrors it back. But if you type in “no” and translate it to russian, it responds with нет so the alphabetical differences evidently matters. HotS needs a magical mid-character to 1) reference the poster 2) but still be set apart from it while 3) alluding to russian having like 4 ‘e’ characters in its alphabet, so…

it’s bigger
Than [у] and /e/ is not [E]
The lengths that I would go to
the distance in your eyes
oh no I said too much.
I set it up

2 Likes

Russia uses the cyrillic alphabet, not the latin one. There is no such word as “nyet” in the Russian language.

Saint Cyril brought the Greek alphabet to Russia (or early slavic speaking territories - there was no Russia back then as a country, but various principalities like Kiev or Muscovy) in the 800s and slightly modified it - which is why the two still have many similarities.

4 Likes