Why is the experience so bad?

i made this account to play diablo 4. while i was waiting i decided to give this game a try, since i’ve played dota 2 and i enjoy the moba genre.
i played a few aram games, and i had the worst experience i’ve ever had in a game so far.

first picks trolls in the draft. those who had tk or healer, chose assassins.
people just said “this s a just dead game”
In QM, match making is totally broken.
I had a game of 3 brusiers 1 assassins 1 tk vs 2 tk and 3 assassins.
the answer to my astonishment was the same
“this is a just dead game”

not to mention that the queue for new players is full of smurfs

it’s as if their own players have given up.
sorry for the small, loyal player base that has to put up with this, they can always come play dota2 or diablo4 with me :grin:.

I could see that this game has a very special team mechanic, dota is taking some concepts from hots.

I just wanted to tell you about my experience as a new player.

2 Likes

yea, the new player experience not good since anyone can reroll and troll/smurf without much consequence (if banned, they just roll a new account)

“Typical” games aren’t that bad if you climb/endure out if the new-player-mmr, but most dota-like games tend to need friends to get out of the crap zone anyway.

3 Likes

This is your first couple of games and somehow you already know about ideal comps to complain about? I’ve played thousands, and I still rarely complain about them. And you also somehow know what constitutes a smurf?

I mean assuming that this post is not a troll and of good faith, the new player experience is obviously going to be poor. That’s going to be true of most any game that is many years old that requires many players to queue up with.

6 Likes

it’s true. that’s why in dota you can enter a clan for new players, managed by a mod.
this helps somewhat, although it is far from ideal.

I just wanted to try it, the compositions are very similar to the other mobas, (not sure about the difference between brusier and mele assassin or the difference between healer and support) although I could notice that the team mechanics of this game is special, I think it is designed to stack. playing solo can be difficult, or that was my impression at least.

already bought Diablo 4 and we are counting down, so I just “went through here” :grin:

Prepare for a mediocre D4 experience. Heroes is a really good game that predictably didn’t get the support it needed.

salmaik is that you?

1 Like

I believe the HOTS community is just toxic and trolly in general. There’s decent people but so many players are around who will act like they are some sort of moba guru and you need to listen to them or else. Losing a game in ARAM? Chances are someone will fling insults or at least blame a random person.

https://streamable.com/igdsdu

I was a pretty solid healer (can see stats in my clip) but got smack talked by this Hanzo. He’s the guy who as anyone can see on replay is AFKing constantly or doing mercs slowly when we have enemy down 5v3 and only core left. The problem may just be the community at this point. If I see this happen again I’m just alt+F4ing rather than even trying to talk sense into them just like I do with my 10 of the same matches. Why get trolled by clowns when the game is in such a state?

Diablo 4 cannot come soon enough!

Isn’t this account a smurf to?

This is a very competitive game with a DEEP gameplay system that takes a LONG time to get good at. You’ll play a character for a couple of years straight, and STILL be learning new stuff with them.

And Noobs arriving tend to get Destroyed/Demoralized quickly. Again, because the game is so competitive, players are out for blood in every match, etc.

Stick with it and you might be surprised. But this is not a game you can play for 2-3 months, and expect to clean house at a high level. You’ll still be getting your butt kicked horribly. It takes a lot of time and sheer battle experience to be a competent HOTS player.

I agree that this game can be difficult to pick up.

But so are the alternatives, I tried DotA 2 but I figured there is a really steep learning curve before I can become somewhat useful. Grubby said that after 500 hours he feels ready to say that he’s okay.

HotS is a lot easier, but there needs to be some sort of player guidance on how to start playing. When I started, the leveling process was so much in my face that I felt compelled to do the “new player A-Z”: play all free heroes on rotation.

In the end, you need determination for this genre.
Games like D3 or GW2 can be easier to pick up as they have plenty of beginner content.

I think your choice of role matters a ton regarding your initial experience.

I would say ARAM is a really bad place to start, for the same reasons as Ranked. You are expected to know your hero choice, you are expected to know your teammates and opponents, the synergies, and to top it off, you can’t just participate by collecting XP or (helping out with) camps, but you have to brawl, and so without the option to replenish your health or mana. With a bunch of heroes and talents disabled.

I’d recommend what we did in 2015. Pick a hero that you seem to like and play a bunch of quick matches. Repeat.

3 Likes

MM where you solo que against ANYone, especially in the MobA genre… is the same, because the unpredictable factor is always the player him/herself.

Why the MM feels “broken” is because HotS is a team-based game, meaning unlike the other MobA games, you have to rely on allies and if allies are bad you will have to factor in their weaknesses aswell which is very hard. The game is fast, fluent and VERY punishing for every mili-second that you fail to react.

HotS offer the highest quality of MobA gaming currently and it’s at the equal matchups that you will experience this. I’m talking about when you face opponents that are as good as you’d expect them to be in your own level.

This mindset has worked for me. If the matchups are random but you notice the difference in team is like 60 to 40% win chance. You can still use these matches as practice to hone your own skills against stronger opponents.

Because in any Moba you will face stronger opponents all the time… these are challenges that will improve YOU if you manage to handle the situation.

That’s why i see chaotic matches as the best of matches. Don’t think interms of winning or losing… any win you do in that losing match gives a lesson for the next match. Can’t win 'em all.

1 Like

Aram is not a draft mode. Everyone just picks one of three heroes. Some players have the expectation to build a comp, but that’s not what the mode is for.

This is not imbalanced.

1 Like

If you keep spamming ARAM queues you do get a game you enjoy eventually, even on a bad day. Since Diablo 4 is coming soon I just play HOTS until I win one or two then log off.

2 Likes

I don’t think the new player experience is significantly more toxic than in any other MOBA but maybe I’ll check it out some day. That being said I also don’t think Diablo IV is going to have too much longevity. To me it felt like a downgrade: imagine Diablo 3 but with worse and more limited skill system, given a shiny new coat of brown mud and dirt. And dear god I hope no one pre-purchased.

I guess one major problem is the small playerbase that is left, at all mmr, players are the same, just different accounts and the expectation is that you already know everything about the game and advanced timers and rotations.

Another is how team focused HOTS is comparatively. Theres an event every few minutes that demands your presence.
You then engage in a fight over the objective where good team engagement is absolutelly vital… It has to happen or you forfeit it. Often times people go in, theres no coordination and then a few players realize this one is lost, and the rest have no clue what is going on and simply move in to the flashy thing and feed.
HOTS just flows a little different, less about YOU, and more about your team and if anything its not well explained.

Matches are so much about good laning and correct and fast rotations early, and good team combo engagements every few minutes that anyone new is going to be lost and doesnt even have enough time to figure out what is going on.

I also visited another region and my account was basically fresh and i noticed that the free character selection is extremely bad. You have Uther which is by far the worst choice to have as a free healer because of his high cooldowns and low “easy heal” potential.
Your other healers is reghar, one of the best in the game. A strange matchup of one of the best and one of the hardest to make work.
Your mage can be Jaina, which is great or Mephisto which you absolutelly should not have as a new player.
Your melee was samuro which requires decent gameplay to avoid constant feeding and a new player will not do well with him.

Now i dont know if these characters rotate since ive had all characters for years but i just thought the selection was partially terrible.

2 Likes

welcome to the world of MOBA games .

Imagine being excited for a $70 game with the same monetization as Diablo Immortal.

2 Likes

“There is no the dark or light Force, there is only the Force.”