Why do I have to play with blocked players?

Because I want a functioning matchmaker. It sucks to be matched with people you didn’t have a good experience with, but it’s a necessary evil for the system to just work. Creating special case situations just for you might be okay, to create it for everybody would make the system break down.

You choosing to not play with other people doesn’t just affect your games, it affects the other games of other people that can now no longer be created, and it compounds for every single other player. You create this extremely complicated tangled web of restrictions and it can even be exploited.

2 Likes

The fact that some people do not see problem in a possibility of avoiding players because of their skill, not lets say behaviour, is quite honestly baffling.

2 Likes

Knowing the petty nature of hots players especially in low elo they would press the avoid, report abusive chat, hacking and report for terrorist activity all in 15 seconds after losing to a 20-0 player.

Some even get as salty as sending whispers to that player after a loss. There is zero reason to give these people an avoid option.

If you wanna avoid real legitimate trolls, open whisper dialog on them but don’t type anything, then wait until they start another match. I do it all the time
(If you are desperate - you can even do this against players who single handedly killed your team 1v5, your choice)

1 Like

Not actually that important. What you say is true, but the performance hit is negligible, especially considering that the database doesn’t really need to search THAT often.
Finally, you could store your list of ignore locally and only update it from the server periodically. That’s what addons in wow that expand your blacklist do.

Use occams razor here, I’ll bet half their block lists are made up of enemy players. They’re dishonest just like the complainers who say “I suddenly got 4 leaver penalties, I have no idea why”.

They want this system because they got caught by surprise after being matched with good players they blocked. They use ‘blocking trolls’ as a strawman.

4 Likes

I’d settle for not being matched with the same people, for an hour tbh.
That’s like 2-3 matches, it only really bugs me when someone blatantly ruins a match, then I re-queue to have them ready for ruination 2.0

1 Like

I’d settle for not being matched with the same people, for an hour tbh.

I always liked that suggestion and have lobbied it for ages. So we don’t have to manually do the whisper trick and wait for them to log out or begin another match.

It also wont break matchmaking since it’s just one player for one hour, and it could have a cooldown (like being only usable once on a single player of your choosing per 24 hours, so it’d have to be used very wisely).

It wouldn’t even stop you from being matched with that player later on in the day, it’d just let you que in peace for 1 hour without him/her. I’d even be happy with 10-20 minutes.

1 Like

This has nothing to do with the size of the community. We asked for this feature back when the game was in its heyday, and Blizzard didn’t want to do it because it can obviously be abused (block all the good players you don’t want to play against, or all the bad players you don’t want to be allied with, etc.).

Yes! Give the Player an ability Dodge with a large cooldown.
Blizzard if you’re listening you could even Sell Cooldown reductions for Gems

lol, you’re asking for a pay to win feature, bro

2 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t go as far as requiring gems or shards for it. It’d need to be a free for everyone kind of feature. And a large cooldown for every single user, be they a millionaire or f2p pleb horser.

No, a pay to not stab my eyes with the keyboard feature, bro

…fiiiiine, just trying to lay down some :honey_pot: for the :bear:

Remember that one time back in OW in 2016 where best players were stuck on endless queue because everyone blocked them? What a time.

Avoid as Teammate can be explored though.

1 Like

Are you asking me? Because i just explained exactly that. ONE GUY at Blizzard can look at the guys reports, see that he has none, and then make him “avoid” immune. OR you could just… only get avoided if you have been reported at least x times. And again, in case of report abuse, HAVE A FREAKING GM LOOK INTO IT!

If we didn’t need humans to make decisions, then why do we have law enforcement and crap like that? You can’t just let a computer do everything, because that’s what leads to crap like the current report system.

Edit: @Sami WAIT WAIT WAIT… i didn’t even think about that yet… Blizzard let you avoid someone AS AN ENEMY??? WHY??? This is insanely stupid… I know it is pretty obvious in hindsight when reading this thread, but holy crap… I didn’t think that Blizzard was THIS incompetent. OF COURSE the avoid thing should be ONLY for teammates, NOT enemies! Holy crap Blizzard… What is the point of avoiding enemies except EXACTLY what people did and avoid people that you lose against??? Blizzard literally ASKED FOR THIS! I can’t believe how dumb this is…

Hey Blizzard, i have a great idea! A surrender option… FOR THE ENEMY TEAM! If you vote yes, the enemy gives up and you win! That’s exactly as stupid as letting people avoid enemies…

They don’t even have a working ticket system anymore (except for declined card payments and other money related issues), it all redirects you here from the support page.

Things like Abusive Chat reports are also fully automated. So it’d be a stretch to think they’d hire a lot of employees to check whether avoids are valid.

The live chat mods will still check whether a silence was deserved, far as I remember (so that channel of human appeal still exists). But it depends on luck, they can also give a copy+paste answer and close the chat.

As i said in the other post. ONE PERSON, that’s all they need. It’s not like this happens every day, it could literally be done by ANYONE in their studio or office or whatever, that has 5 minutes per week to spare.

Also, they CAN use copy and paste? I have done like 1000 appeals and literally NEVER saw anything but “This ban is legit, never contact us again, EVER!”.

Do keep in mind they haven’t even updated forum avatars since Imperius (still missing Anduin, Qhira, DW) and that was over a year ago. A couple dozen pixels and three png files.

We have no idea how small of a shoestring budget the HotS team is on.
Hero trailers were disabled because they cost money, as were old Brawls.

1 Like

But they still have enough money to add garbage to the game that nobody ever asked for…

Pretty sure their problem is “priorities” and not “money”.

It can be abused. The potential is spelled out for you people in every single thread this complaint appears in. Its obviously problematic, so if you dont get it by now then you aint gettin it period.

This is a complete mute point. The reporting function is in the game to identify griefers and if it worked, could assist with supporting the reason to block a player.