Whitemane's legs are unnaturally long

Honey you know how these guys have a history, and you also know their own posting history. Just sit back and enjoy the popcorn, but hey no real loss from a thread like this it adds much needed value.

1 Like

This thread is very amusing.

1 Like

This thread should have died yesterday, but no I guess.

i think you’re operating under a very different interpretation of this definition than… probably most people

the ordinary course of nature generally means something that happens without human interference. albinism, for example, is not unnatural because it can and does happen without interference. it only becomes unnatural if outside interference causes it to become more common. e.g. if a population of tigers is naturally isolated by geography (such as living in an enclosed valley or on an island) and they develop a higher rate of albinism, that would not be unnatural; if an unethical profit-driven zoo decides to breed for albinism, that’s unnatural

2 Likes

I think it’s supposed to look that way, like shes sharp femme fatale and give impression her legs are literally spikes or smth. There are actually two characters in LoL that has literally spike/scissor legs, elise and camille.

Probably my favorite example would have to be Crystal Maiden from Dota 2. A spellcaster with a staff like whitemane. She has a few skins where you get more of a view of her legs and feet. She has a tad bit more calf and thigh muscle in her legs which makes them appear a bit more thick and normal.

I’d be completely willing to chalk up the weird look of whitemane’s legs to simple optical illusions created by her high heels and lack of leg width.

your quote

The op’s use of ‘unnatural’ (and emphasis on “real women”) would suggest that proportions like whitemane’s ‘don’t exist’ “naturally”

The Op’s responses to how ‘unnatural’ the character looks.

I’m pretty sure real women don’t have 5 feet long legs

As an objective outsider, I would say they look, to use the term, “freakishly long”

I mean there do not exist women with that body type in real life

While I have posts replying to you, the portion you quoted of me was pertaining to “The op’s use of ‘unnatural’ (and emphasis on “real women”) would suggest that proportions like whitemane’s ‘don’t exist’ “naturally””

which is reinforced by the replies given outside the OP (that clarifies their perspective) However, you chose to “challenge” that and posted your search attempt to find legs akin to whitemane’s (emphasis on the ‘skinny’) so the basis of what you were suggesting was your ‘interpretation’ of the OP (despite my posts being particular to the ‘reality’ of what they meant) and you going off on different parts of legs to suit what you wanted in that regard, and not really that of what the OP was saying. To reiterate a bit, one of the links I did post was for stocking sizes for account for variations of both leg-length and calve thickness as ‘skinny calves’ do ‘exist’.

Now if people wanna talk proportion/real/etc then they sometimes pull up di vinci’s “Vitruvian man” since that set the ‘standard’ of an adult body portrayed as 8 heads of height, and legs being 4 heads long.

For stylistic functions, different amounts of head proportion to leg/body ratios will be used to emphasis different aspects of the character – this can even be seen in movies where actors like Tom Cruise will use shoes or stand on boxes so the particular height they’re shown in any given scene suits a particular narrative. Similarly, articles of clothing can try to mask or emphasize other aspects of high or body proportions (ie, wearing certain cuts of skirt to suit certain lengths of leg)

I digress a bit, but the above could be pointed out that the picture i did above shows that whitemane’s legs suit the ‘standard’ of the vetruivian man and suit the head/height aspects even with heals.

What can be ‘unnatural’ is the smaller torso she has in relation to her total height (though the fixation could be placed more on the legs as they’re more pronounced) but even then, as i pointed out with real-life examples, its not "non existent’ to see women that have even longer proportions (so those would be more the ‘rare/unusual’ cases in my books, and less so what whitemane depicts)

That said, the likely suspect in all this is the length of her femur. While some people don’t realize they can conflate Iliac height and subischial length (the different between sitting and standing length of legs) typically the thigh and calf+foot are about the same length (with some lee-way for the knee) By wearing heels, she has an elongated foot height, the hike of her body suit, and somewhat the obscurity of the knee can all contribute to a ‘optical illusion’ (as you put) that offsets the usual indicators someone would use for visually dissecting the parts of the leg.

Overall though, specific parts of whitemane, and any hero in HotS, are going to have different parts be squashed and other parts stretched as compensation for the whole of the character to suit the in-game viewing plane. Thats part of why topics, just like this, bring up other heroes in relation to the front view pane instead of rotations of other angles, or in-game views and instead they want to scrutinize and fixate on one position, one viewing point, and deride what they ‘see’ with little comparable experience to the function of the ‘deformities’ they glimpse.

So long as they don’t consider something beyond a specific perspective, the details, deformities, or visual phenomena don’t matter to what they “see”.

“taste” or ‘attractiveness’ is an acquired thing, so some of the words I’ve been using have ‘’ or “” to indicate when I may be using field jargon for the sake of how the terms are used for various groups that have an “image” of body standards they want to sell, or have associated with particular things. Since the game is stylized art, some of those aspects of fashion/science/etc influence the expectations people put in their visual interpretation of what they see – which could be contrasted against the real named women above compared to whitemane – and despite some of the audience outrcry in other topics (like with arthas) were blues have occasionally posted in the past that stuff would look “worse” or more “unnatural” if the proportions of arm/leg/body/etc didn’t have some give and take from ‘expected’ esthetic demands from a complaining playerbase that doesn’t know the difference of form and function XD.

1 Like

with long-post being long here’s a tl;dr for the topic:

stylistic variation (how stuff looks in art vs reality) typically has to add or exaggerate some details to make stuff look better than it would without.
Look up a bunch of lip-biting emoticons for various expressions to depict a variety of emotions: coy, anticipation, frustration, and so on. The ‘lip’ being ‘bit’ is made visually apparent by lines used to represent wrinkles that don’t actually show when people bite their lips. However, without those details, the expressions look flat and confusing compared to a myriad of other facial possibilities.

Stuff like whitemane’s leg length or body ratios fall into a similar area of certain details being used for visual clarify to suit the function over the ‘reality.’

2 Likes

Was planning to repond with my usual lengthy response until i read this and smacked my forehead.

If you hold this position and acknowledge that her model is unrealistically stylized on purpose as a form of art, why are you trying to debate back and forth with me about the reality of long legged women?

My position is: “Whitemane’s legs look weird” and you just self admittedly acknowledged that that is the case because of a development design choice, which would actually be you agreeing with me. Meaning this entire debate is pointless.

If you admit that her model looks unnatural due to stylized art, we really have nothing more to discuss here.

1 Like

I know only of the Rehgar thread where things seemed to get personal, I didn’t know they had a history beyond that. It’s a pity, I’m that weird kind of person who likes everyone to just get along. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can easily check with the profile yourself, since its not set to private, with their post history and top replies. It pretty much paints a very obvious picture, although you probably wouldn’t want to given the wall of texts you’ll see LOL.

1 Like

not really. I post walls, for topics/posts for a variety of reasons and the change of forum had Oj take the ‘zomg, this sort of thing makes people feel bad’ when i posted a few in topics they had made. Otherwise, previous interaction on the old board was fairly sparse with the closest thing being an alignment on an argument regarding mekkagoo’s posts.

Cuz her legs are fine – my previous post was pointing out that the issue is her torso and then trying to describe why people think its the legs, and despite contrary evidence, they’ll fixate on the details that they want rather than explore other possibilities than don’t have contradiction between evidence and claim.

Her legs suit the length of the dimensions of her height,
pythag approximation of the hypotenuse of her foot (to get the length when not in heels) matches the length of her forearm (cuz the foot size is length from elbow to wrist)
(also, I just drew a line, rotated it, and copy/pasted to double check)
which is also ~6 lengths of her height –
(which suits the “ideal” portions of the Vitruvian man) –
the whole picture i did in the first place (headlength)
said she was about 7.5 heads tall,
so… the scrunch is in her abdomen,
and that is offset by raised heels,
which is why the hands, bust, arms head and knees align with the proportion pictures,
but the glutes don’t.

But since you saw that I wrote something about ‘stylization’ you wonna toss details out the window to suit the demands of your claim rather than the content present :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

This just affirms to me that you are skimming my post instead of getting into the meat and details. I literally said that I would be willing to chalk off the appearance of longleggedness to perspective/illusion created by either her high heels or, as you said, exaggerations in her artstyle.

Also the bit about me wanting to toss out details makes it sound like you believe that because I won’t go into the incredible amount of research and mathematics that you do that my argument is weak. I’m assuming it’s not the case and if it’s not, please feel free to set the record straight but trying to knock me out of the debate because I don’t feel like commiting as much resources to such a petty topic as you do comes off as incredibly arrogant.

In fact I would argue that the amount of time and effort you put into making a screenshot, editing it with an image editor, and researching mathematical proportions and human anatomy diagrams reaffirms my theory that you have an infallibility problem. The thought that anyone would dare challenge you means that you have to dedicate time and energy to put them in their place.

Or were you just hoping that I, like many MANY others, would be offputted by your walls of text and just exit the thread, leaving you as the default “victor”?

None of the measurements, research, or diagrams you have presented are going to change my mind. I look at Whitemane’s model, something looks off about it that gives it a jarring appearance. That is my opinion. Call it an illusion, call it a vagary of perception, call it whatever you like. Maybe it’s everything above working together, but her appearance does look abnormal and strange and it’s not because of the heels (I see hundreds of women in heels on my way to work every day).

Maybe the fact that you are so dedicated to prove me wrong hints that you have beef with me unlike any other forum poster you come across as I’ve rarely seen you try this hard (with the only exception coming to mind being Mekkagoo).

Go ahead, call me ignorant for not wanting to get down and dirty with the details like you do. Call me whatever you want in order to make yourself feel better. If I wanted to get into the details with you, it would be about a topic I was more invested in such as game balance, company practices, developement decisions, ect. I simply don’t feel the desire to research this topic as extensively as you do. My opinion is my opinion, leave it at that.

Whitemane looks abnormal to me. End of story. There is no “change my mind”.

It takes two to tango, which is what the forms are for discussion, but…

The only problem I see is you’re both wasting your talents debating a post that is mostly likely a troll post, currently sporting a single like. You are both perhaps providing some level of satisfaction to the OP, but really, as I said, it’s a waste.

Both of you are more interesting and have devoted too much time to a thread that simply doesn’t warrant it.

I wouldn’t fault anyone for not noticing the extent of what sort of “dedication” I’ve put into wallwars, but you’re certainly not top 10, and might not even be top 25 for the stuff I’ve done. It literally is nothing personal from me. However, lot of your replies do fall into tropes of repetition :confused:
…and I’d notice that cuz… I read a lot of posts through their entirety before I even begin to attempt a reply.

I have admitted on a few occasions that I save some of my posts and i recycle content as one means to skirt the amount of time people think it takes me to make these sort of walls.

Links and pictures? I did that on the old forum too.

eg: Jan 30, 2016, I did a similar mock-up on arthas regarding head/proportion. I have other cases on that too, some of which I didn’t ever post either.

I’ve similarly done math, dps calcs, theory-crafting plugs, and a number of other stuff that took considerable more time than copy/pasting a few images and shifting opacity on a layer.

The capacity to which I choose to include links/pictures and the like is an effort to try to engage different audiences with different mediums to see what actually connects with them (cue that ‘common ground’ bit I posted before)… esp on this forum since I can outright post pictures instead of links. Kinda odd you assert the fixation on “proving you wrong” when… a lot of the material has been posted in the context of hailfalls replies.

btw, the whole soapbox rant on your assertion i have to be ‘right’ seems pretty silly when you then go on to espouse your crusade of not-changing.

That’s pretty much the sort of position hailfall, kagome, rational, eigenscape, and a number of others take. You might set yourself apart on topics particular to hero balance per your experience and teamwork coming at a higher tier of play, but you’re making the same sort of topical assertions that stem pretty much from arrogance-based conviction that’d see the world burn before they consider anything apart from a view that doesn’t suit the self-imposed horse-blinder vision.

and iirc, I’m not the only poster that has pointed that out to you before.

I’m not here to magically change opinions in a means that I already posted isn’t going to happen: you think something is ‘off’? Cool, I made a couple of posts to point out why they might be the case; I made posts pointing out where there is an issue (but one people overlook) and I provided material people could use for comparisons (even if they actually aren’t going to so do)

What I put into these posts isn’t about being “right”, its about my being ‘honest’ and allowing myself to be subjected to peer review. Months, or years from now, I’ll come back to posts like these, read them through, and challenge myself to see if I still agree with my intent and execution and see if I’ve learned something more to change or improve what I may have esteemed before. I’ve ‘shown my work’ so other people wll more experience/knowledge/etc can correct where I may have erred, even if t just ends up being myself at a later point in time.

1 Like

Too long, didn’t read.

Threads like these is why moving to Discourse (Or whatever the !@#$ these forums are called) was a mistake with this community.

No sarcasm here.

Nothing weird about that.

What’s weird are people actively trying to make other peoples lives miserable.

1 Like

There is a legal tactic known as a “Document dump” wherein one adversary requests information from the other and they respond by giving them an absurd quantity of information that is extraneous to the issue at hand, usually given in a hostile or inflammatory manner with the intent of wasting your opponents time or overwhelming them with an overload of information.

I.E. Dump all of this information on me about mathematical measurements, anatomy diagrams, scientific research, and more in the hopes that my feign of interest will result in me be overwhelmed and thus depart from the thread leaving you the default ‘victor’ again.

We’re talking about a thread of an animated video game characters leg proportions for god’s sake. You are either A) Way too interested in this subject than a normal person should be. B) Have a compulsive need to be right and control others, most likely a personality disorder (OCD) C) Inability to back down from an opponent (Hey I have that too!) or C) A combination of all of the above.

Yeah, you’re real concerned with peer review aren’t you? How funny and ironic that your posts are almost always followed up with:

If you were really concerned with peer review you would present your information in a more condensed and focused manner that is easier to read and gets your point across quicker but you don’t, so don’t pull that card with me and say it’s just you being “honest”.

It is possible to condense the gist of what you’re saying into a few paragraphs with the overall point and relevance of said point being remotely the same. Instead your posts are more often than not, jam-packed with extraneous information that is too much of a headache to dissect in a reasonable amount of time (the main reason why document dumps are so effective).

I imagine eating some fried egg off of Whitemane’s gorgeous gams on a sunny beach. I mean, we are both relaxing with shades on. The fried egg is just there on her legs and we’re just snacking.

I swear I’m not weird!!! :see_no_evil::speak_no_evil: