What are design and balance goals these days?

Competitive play? QM? Fun? I can’t really tell where they want to go with this game from the last balance patch or what were trying to accomplish.

The only thing I can consistently glean is “talent diversity” but other than that it feels like this game has no direction the last few patches.

1 Like

In effect balance changes tend to be about refreshing things, not much of a grander design. What HotS developers seem to do is look at numbers and try to change them. Better than nothing at this point.

1 Like

Not sure what is it, but I like their approach if the Cassia remake and Hogger release are any indications.

The game is balanced around Diamond+ SL with concerns towards QM. And since this is a game, it tries to be fun.

2 Likes

1.) There seems to be relatively few matches at “Diamond+ SL”

2.) There is an extremely wide win % difference in those bracket levels (not to mention pick and ban rates as well), which seem to indicate fairly poor balance.

It’s like they picked the wrong target and widely missed their mark at the same time.

…heroesprofile.com/Global/Hero/?timeframe_type=minor&timeframe=2.53.1.83716&game_type=sl&league_tier=master,diamond&hero_league_tier=master,diamond

There are more matches in D+ than shown on HeroesProfile or Hotslogs.

Banrate is often meaningless.
Winrate is not accurate on HeroesProfile.
And balance is not equals in everyone is close to each other in winrate.

They picked the perfect target. Ppl with skill.
The game needs to be balanced around those who can play well because anyone can learn how to play, so issues that can be fixed with improving are not real issues.

It’s a matter of proportion. There are proportionately fewer D+ SL matches than QM by a long shot. Heroes Profile, though not having absolute numbers, should be an accurate reflection unless QM folks upload matches but SL folks dont (but I doubt that).

Also, you don’t know internal stats any more than anyone so your statements are just as baseless anyone’s. At least HP has something reasonable to refer to.

I usually read whatever the devs post (reddit, patchnotes) and sometimes they do post from their internal stats, and it’s often not accurate with the third party sites such as HeroesProfile.

For example: Cassia -according to HP- was at 58% wr pre last nerfs.

But according to Blizz, she was at 53%:

This is just the most recent difference.
Over the years I saw a ton.

1 Like

Cassia remake just made her op and the #1 marksman

I see, sorry I havent played her since the remake, I am just glad she has more identity now that war traveler talents are buffed which is the point I wanted to make actually.

With skill levels dropping (no proof) I’d say only mid-master at this point and higher are decent. There are people unlucky enough in lower elo but for generalization sake most players are garbage at the game

First, numbers are pretty similar and it was obvious that Cassia was strong, that’s why she has had consistent nerfs for several patches. HP and Blizz consistent in same direction. +1 HP.

Second, you don’t know if the HP and Blizzard denominators are the same. Blizz could have weeded out parameters that you don’t know of. Quote:

Developer Comment: Cassia is slightly overperforming at a 53% win rate and is seeing a high amount of participation. We’re slightly reducing her baseline numbers to bring her more in line.”

53% of what numeric set?

The devs said themselves, that it’s Diamond+.

They also said that hotslogs (pre shutting down and reborning from ash, which had more stats so more precise data than HeroesProfile) is ±5% off.

Further discussion seems to be meaningless. I answered your questions. Feel free to disagree with it :'D

This addresses my initial question, though indirectly. Exactly what is Blizz going after (if not win rate % being relatively balanced)? It’s not clear to me and the game seems a bit schizophrenic on this point.

That said, you contradict yourself implying win rate % does not equal balance then turn around cite Blizzard nerfing Cassia because of her 53% win rate % in order to balance her.

1 Like

That seems so because you missed my point.

Because I didn’t do that.
I just shown her actual winrate vs her HP winrate to prove two things:

• HP is not that precise
  • ppl can know about (some) internal stats

(Sidenote: also dev statement: their major range of balance is between 45-55%.)

2 Likes

Yes, you did, even if you didn’t intend to.

1 Like
  1. How can I contradict myself if I didn’t intend to say what makes you think I contradict myself?
  2. Cassia at 53% is balanced according to Blizz guidelines yet she was nerfed nonetheless, supporting what I said, that winrate =/= balance.

And this is the point when I’m out.

How hard is that to understand?

I’m pretty sure they are mostly for win (and play) rate % being relatively balanced*, just with side goals of occasionally sprucing up talents for more varied gameplay.

(*Do note that ‘relatively balanced’ does not have a fixed definition, and perfect balance is essentially impossible anyway.)

The reason you don’t see any direction is probably that there isn’t a single unified goal for patch notes to work towards. There’s multiple ones, just like there are multiple things to do in the game. QM balance, competitive balance, fun etc. all matter to different players, and patch notes try to cater to all of them.

Thanks for this information.

Looks like Cassia is a very balanced hero to me with her 53%.