Varian's nerfs seem too harsh

So does his armor shred. Jojo nullifies almost all of his threat herself for example.

He’s not that hard to kill if you pace yourself or use CC accordingly, my point of him having ways to mitigate his effectiveness even though he can change specs still stands.

Without his autos he’s easier to kill and loses on a couple hundred damage per second, and doesn’t reduce healing or break shields with his autos anymore.

King’s Quest just needs to go. A hero that relies on BA to heal, deal damage, and win fights is simply going to get too much value from a BA damage increasing talent.

It also makes Second Wind less appealing, which dominates the tier. (Second Wind shouldn’t be based on damage. Just make it 1% above 50% HP, and 2% below 50% HP.)

I think victory rush is fine depending on the map. If you are taunt, you won’t get much value from second wind so i like to go the lion’s fang one.

Victory rush would be fine if you would have it on number 1 as an active-able spell, just like Garrosh’s Body Check.

The every 30 sec is stupid, because sometimes it heals you when you don’t need it and it’s not ready when you need it…

Slows, Stuns, Roots, Displacements

To the post:

For TB Varian it was a - 45 dmg/ less than a sec? Too much, they just want us to forget Win Blades at all.

1 Like

i always took HKQ for consistency. The damage on Lions Maw doesn’t turn it into say reliable poke and the built in slow is good enough given the rest of varians tools. Overpower - while having the potential to outclass HKQ, really isn’t impactful enough given its tied into my very important defensive CD.

Lvl 7 is essentially the same, i chose consistency over unreliable, unremarkable burst healing.

Whats wrong really is that both tiers work the exact same way will all of his builds. You can do pretty well with victory rush on infernal shrines when on the obj, but only slightly worse with second wind literally everywhere else on any map, and lane sustain at lvl 7? A little late for that.

TLDR: The other talents aren’t good enough for their lack of consistency, and i DONT think thats because HKQ and SW are to good by comparison…

Dude… how can you just be so wrong?

He’s one of the best campers, solos any boss, one of the best duelist in the entire game and has auto attack and burst mitigation - as two banners that gives armor and spell power. Can destroy shields, reduce healing reduction, and titan killer. On top of that he demoralizing shout which is epic and glory to the alliance that makes some healers. OP.

On top of that he - has a short cooldown taunt which if your team works together, can most of the time kill that person at LEVEL 4.

Twin Blades is amazing but gets a bad rep because players a bad but is brutal to deal with and amazing on certain map objectives like Immortal.

And Smash just deletes squishies no problem which can talent into more auto attack damage with High King’s or more spell damage with Lion’s maw - which benefits from the Spell Banner. Which means if x hero has spell armor or physical armor can gets to choose on which damage he increases.

TL;DR

One of the best duelist, best campers, solos any boss, brings massive utility which the ability to reduce healing, shatter shields, titan killer, reduce damage, give armor bonus, give spell power bonus, gives a whole 50% increase to healing along with banner cooldown.

Can counter auto attack comps, can counter burst damage.

Yeah “He’s awful hero.”

God, Hailfail. I was really trying hard to be on your side but you just continue to say stupid things all the time.

The dude is fine. I’m typically pulling top damage (around 50-65k) and 30k healing a game in tank spec.

That doesn’t mean he isn’t outclassed by other bruisers

Taunt is ok, not the best CC in the world with the short duration. Twin blades and smash are pretty easy to shut down compared to someone like Leoric or malthael or thrall who are always useful

Overall he can be successful, but with high coordination a lot of what he has isn’t that meaningful.

Tb is good at doing things solo if you have a potato team. That is the main draw

Lol please don’t lie to me

I don’t have to. Barely anyone agree with you and those that do are your alt accounts. :thinking:

Also I thought your new turn over, you said you would stop making balance posts. Please upheld that.

I knew you were gonna say something like this. Any hero is easy to shut down with correct counter. DUH. Get less predictable. It’s pathetic.

By your logic, every hero is bad because they can get countered.

Factually incorrect. And since I play in unrank and actually play the game correctly and Varian is my most played hero. No. You’re just wrong. Varian brings more utility to the table than Malth, Leoric, and Thrall.

He makes mages even more brutal and makes healers OP.

If this was true he would not be such a meme of a hero at tournament level

I don’t remember anyone saying that, nor does it defeat the points that I’ve made and I don’t see any grand masters, masters, or diamond players talk badly of Varian.

He has a significantly lower playrate than thrall, malthael, and Leo, who you talked bad about but are actually some of the most powerful offlaners in the game

At this point I think Varian just straight up needs a rework. Accept that multiclass didn’t work and make him either a melee assassin or bruiser. Varian’s my favourite Warcraft character and I enjoy his playstyle, but he just doesn’t feel that good and it’s hard to buff/nerf him without risking making a different role too strong or weak.

Since when does this has ever speak on a heroes power? Again, you’re not defeating any points that I’ve brought up.

Some heroes have low play rates. It doesn’t mean those heroes are bad.

Did I talk about bad about them? I don’t think I did. I just said, Varian brings more utility.

Okay and? I never made the claim that Varian is a strong solo laner. So uh?

Can you actually disrupt my points instead of making up things I’ve never said. lol.

You can get your AOE apply it at level 1 now, and if resets trigger CD.

I’ve been loving stukov even more since that change, my next person to grind to get good at :smiley:

Look Varian cannot solo the core at level 1.

He is not the Core Killer at level 1.

Stop saying such things!

/Sarcasm

1 Like

No it is -24 damage a second.
I have no idea how you got -45.
(HKQ impacts base damage, which means the doubling of attack by Col smash and the -20% attack penalty of twin blades apply to it. Although even without that it would be -30 DPS, not -45).

Anyhow:
Old level 10: 88 base damage + 60 HKQ + 62 Heroic Strike = 210
New level 10: 88 based damage +48 HKQ + 62 Heroic Strike = 198

Or a ~5.5% damage reduction.

At level 20:
Old: 91 heroic strike, 130 base attack, 60 HKQ= 281 damage per attack
New: 91+130+48 = 269 damage per attack
~4.5% less damage.

Given Varian’s winrate is in a fine spot, and this was his strongest talent level 1… this seemingly makes him slightly under performing.

Except it also buffed some talents—which will probably make up some of that gap.

So yeah, I don’t see the issue.

It’s a pretty small difference unless you decide to ignore his trait.

If anything this impacts Colossus Smash more, as it only get about 35 damage per attack from trait.

Going from:
280+150+34 (464)
To 434, or a 7.5% decrease at level 20.

190+150+23 = 363
To now 333, or a ~8% decrease.

Add in that 30 damage becomes an extra 7.5 damage when you apply the Col Smash rebuff…

Yeah, it hurts Col Smash (and taunt, although I don’t think taunt varian worries about that damage nearly as much) worse than twin blades.

I’ve been saying this for a while. Blizzard has tried and failed at the Multi-Class thing everytime they’ve tried it.

Other “Multiclass” heroes include:

• Tyrande
  • Tassadar
  • Uther
  • Kharazim

What HAS worked is allowing heroes to do “Sub-classes” — that is to say, be primary at something and work in talents to do something else. I think Healers with a sub-assassin class have worked out best so far.

In Varian’s case, he has a sub-class in Tanking via Twin Blades and a primary DPS route in Smash.

I would honestly LOVE to see a pure Sword and Board hero take Taunt away from Varian and be designed similar to Varian with more focus on defense.

However, that being said, I think the only way “Multiclass” is going to ever work is when Blizzard decides to allow you to pick between a class and have a COMPLETELY different talent tree based upon your pick. The aforementioned heroes would still highly benefit from this strategy.

I think it would be really cool if Blizzard made a point to say “Each year we’re releasing ONE and only ONE Multiclass hero” — I think that would build some hype.

Related-ish — I think the same basic issue stops Cho’gal from being in a great spot. It would be neat for Blizzard to expand this by releasing one double hero every year as a Blizzcon “thing” (not a Blizzcon exclusive, but similar to how Cho’gal was originally released). It would certainly help to build more community. For a few weeks, Cho’gal was in such a fun spot — but that died off as soon as the excitement ended.

Holly Necro Batman…

I think HKQ was fine beforehand. Varian wasn’t IMO OP. He could be coutered quite easily.
But he was still quite good in the right hands and team comp.
In terms of the recent nerf, you had to focus on the quest to get it early otherwise you wouldn’t get in until the end. With the nerf I think they need to reduce the requirements, smaller buff but sooner.