Tychus stutter stepping

Over the past few weeks I am seeing a lot of Tychus players that stutter step pretty much perfectly. Has anyone else noticed this?

Is a stutter step cheat possible? (Not saying it is, but it got me thinking) Or is it not actually that hard (I don’t play Tychus, just don’t like him). I know if you are good you can stutter step with him, but this is near every Tychus player I see.

EDIT for clarity: it is not overkill.

1 Like

You can stutter step with Tychus, but as opposed to other AA heroes. You always lose dps doing it. Though it’s still less damage lost than if you stood still the whole time.

3 Likes

If you have a movement speed bonus over the target that is related to your firing interval, it will look like Tychus is moving in increments while firing automatically during a chase. This was most easily observed with high stacks/completion of his old Dash quest at level 1.

He requires a semi-significant movement speed increase over his target for this to happen.

5 Likes

This is true, but the level of consistency I see is a little ridiculous.

Huh. Did not know. This could be it. Ill keep an eye out for it.

Maybe you’re looking at players who have “Dash” as talent.

Maybe you mistaken stutter stepping with Q. Which allows him to move and shoot at the same time lol

You can stutter step with any hero, but if your attack speed is too high you will lose dps while doing, for example Tychus and Tassadar lose dps while stutter steping.

At 0,25 seconds per aa and the SC2 based client polling up to 10+ commands from a player in a second it is completely doable with a low ping. Some humans could even do it if Tychus attacked 6 or 8 times per second.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/18y0qi/til_highest_apm_recorded_was_818_w_t_f/

With imperfect ping (not in a tournament hall) you will probably lose damage trying to do so.

There is a user who has done it at least in Try mode which has zero ping.

1 Like

It’s not about click fast enough only but meaning your hero moves in every 0.25s interval so basically your hero almost doesnt move because the time window is too short.
It’s not effecient enough to stutter step at that speed because your movement wont be sufficient to dodge things or keep people at bay, which is the key point of why stutter steping is good

1 Like

His Q is his “Stutter Stepping”.

True, same as with Fenix if you get the Warp Warfare talent (especially with the further +100% bonus at 20) you will do more damage standing still than stutter stepping because your AA speed becomes so high. If you move between the attacks you’ll start losing damage.

He still loses ton of damage with this 0 ms ping.
Just watch the damage on the dummy, there are plenty of moments where it doesnt do damage as often as it should.
Stutter stepping on a 50%+ slowed target does have value if you can do it well but otherwise you will spend too much time attacking and a non slowed target will be able to reach you

1 Like

I know, it’s inefficient and not worth doing on Tychus. But OP asked if it’s a cheat, it is doable even by people with slightly higher than above APM. No cheats.

Fun fact: Old HotS replay files used to record APM as a saved data metric. Hotslogs chose not to use it. You could view the values in replay extractors (arguably a pointless metric for this game) like Rivsoft’s Hero Replay Manager.

2 Likes

Of course it’s worth doing, your trait only lasts a set duration, besides which damage you avoid is often worth losing a bit of dps.
You can only stand and shoot them if they’re extremely out of position, or your allies can CC them big time.

If these are enemies, then they might be AI players. The AI stutter steps with Tychus like a god, when it actually bothers to attack anything rather than running around aimlessly.

After going mini-gun, why not just Q? It’s moving while dishing out damage in an aoe DPS, which can specced into getting a range, slow and damage upgrade. After it’s done, then you can try and stutter stepping it. I find him awkward to stutter-step, but his other qualities make up for it.