This game dead yet? Should be

Kara linked a bar graph that people made from the data that Devs posted in 2018.
There’s also numbers posted in a 2019 ama: https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/cmf25v/comment/ewcjhg8/?context=2

Bronze: 14%
Silver: 25%
Gold: 28%
Platinum: 22%
Diamond: 10%
Master+: 1.15%

B + S is down, G + P remains the same, D + M increased (percentages); overall silver and gold went down at the ends of the population grew, but ranked is also more a ‘feel good’ projection and is intended for pliability that is apart from the “MMR” itself, which is why games tend to use visual depictions of something that isn’t as dynamic as players want for their understanding of matching, ‘skill’, and playerbase distribution.

The 2018 numbers also had other bits posted by Travis McGeathy, so for people that don’t recognize the 2018 chart at a glance, a number of sites have the numbers/visuals made, such as this one:

Of the numbers posted, those were snapshots as it has been pointed out by devs that the distribution shifts through the season: select players play more at the start of the season and settle at that rank, while those at the lower end keep playing.

Rank distribution has population goals, so areas that aren’t within the intended ranks may have more/less points awarded in that stretch; that stands out the most at the ranks below bronze 5 where points are well below the ±200, esp since players can intentionally drop their rank, but can’t increase it at the same pace.

2 Likes

I guess I’m speaking from someone with years of experience. Wouldn’t mind being in bronze if I was new but if I landed in bronze after all these years, I’d just quit the game.

Of course, I’m not implying someone in bronze SHOULD quit the game but I definitely would.

That’s data from 5 years ago.

Lol, I can’t even :joy:

While not explicitly stated, I did say the “then Devs” and that rank spread would look different “now.” So yes I know that is old data.

1 Like

Yeah I’d be laughing too if I had 2 brain cells and don’t understand that pulling old data is completely irrelevant now. But go ahead keep laughing.

I had a retort to this, then I remembered something that made me laugh a bunch and I feel this might be a better choice because of three extremely important points:

1. When I happen to check this thread again, I will see the linked video and get a laugh.
  2. It will remind me how the video seems to exemplify the situation I’m going through with this post.
  3. If people happen to want to watch the video, they might also get a laugh out of it. This is probably the most important part.
1 Like

LoL, imagine thinking Blizz would change the ranking cutoffs for no reason and then not tell anyone, because…

For some reason you decide to think of the more outlandish explanation that changes the status quo, and somehow you think Karabars is the crazy one.

1 Like

Are you obsessed with me or what?

Not intentionally, no. I just point out the silliness in people’s arguments. Your posts just tend to have a disproportionate amount of them. But if you’ll notice, I also don’t respond to many of your posts because they’re not always bad. I’ve also called out Karabars when he’s made silly posts too.

1 Like

What would you say, how did I react?

well, you’re not drothvader :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Its not silliness, but usually when you want to post based on facts, sources help you out here. (in another thread you came at me for, I showed evidence based on what patch notes had said and I was met with anecdotes and somehow found wrong? Lol) I was only calling out Karabars because all I saw was a picture of a graph that looked like a 12 year old used it for his school project. No link was posted in his thread to where the information of the graph could be verified. Excuse me for not reverse google searching it beforehand.

I never stated that Blizzard would change the ranking cutoffs, that is something you came up with so you could make me look stupid. Also, I never had an outlandish explanation. I simply said the data was old and that his picture couldn’t be verified due to it simply being a picture of a graph with no links alongside it to back it up. Fact is that data is old. Lots of changes were made in 2018 and so data collected prior to these changes is now irrelevant, and we see that in the follow up post on reddit. where the values changed, bronze doubled in percentage for one. Usually when people post sources, they at least are up to date. 5 years ago, with changes in 2018 is anything but up to date.

Had he posted a link explaining where he got his information beside the picture… I wouldn’t have said anything.

They aren’t disproportionate. People here just don’t like being told they’re wrong or that the game is the issue not the player. Its ok, they’re free to feel that way. However I don’t think my posts are worth as much criticism as people throw at me.

Most of the time the same thing I say, someone else says and doesn’t receive any criticism. I’ll be told I don’t read posts properly and when others do it , they aren’t held accountable. Its stupid. I’ll use patch notes as evidence and it gets rejected because apparently anecdotal evidence trumps it. And I find it funny its almost the same people who have been attacking me for my posts. They think they’re smart enough to psychoanalyze me yet can’t seem to see patterns in things other than me.

Its very easy to dislike someone when they’re in my position and I admit I have picked fights with many people here. I get why I’m disliked, there’s no issue understanding that. I just expected people who have been on this forum for a long time to be able to hold themselves accountable. I guess I was wrong in assuming they would.

I’m gonna assume that’s a joke… because it actually looks like one this time lol

it is referential; back in the active days on the forum, droth and volun and some back-and-forths that iirc droth thus assumed volun must have an obsession with them

1 Like

Since drothvader doesn’t seem to be here anymore, maybe volun needed someone to fill his void.

The initial graph indeed looks kinda janky, but you could have easily did your own research to confirm whether the information was true or make a rebuttal based on new information. Then, instead of having some humility when presented that it was real, you doubled down saying it was old data (without finding any new data corroborating Karabars is wrong), which implies that there’s a possibility that somehow Blizzard might have made secret changes for a system that had been working fine. You were so desperate to be not wrong, you end up looking more pathetic to concoct outlandish theories to justify your bitter response.

You can feel whatever you want to about your posts. But if it seems like I’m calling you out because you say a lot of not so smart things, I’m not going to give you a free pass just because you keep doing it.

2 Likes

I never said he was wrong, just that the pic alone wasn’t enough to prove his claim. Hence why I said “trust me” was the source. And it is old data is it not?

Blizzard made changes to ranked in 2018, but you can’t seem to do your own research either. Since changes like that could affect where players currently sit is it not reasonable to expect outdated data to not be valid anymore?

I’m not making things up. You’re just accusing me of things I’m not doing and saying I’m desperate not to be wrong when it seems like you’re desperate to find things to come at me for. Not anywhere did I say blizzard secretly did anything. It’s public. Go look for it instead of calling me out for not reverse searching the pic karabars posted.

What’s pathetic is you are wrong about your accusations and still insist I’m making things up because you can’t look things up and say I’m fabricating it.

1 Like

LoL, I was AT the Blizzcon where they presented the data of the rank breakdowns. And then Blizzard had multiple, yes public, information to show the changes in rank spread, but it never did after that. So, yes I knew about it lol. The only reason you would dispute Karabar’s data is to think that his data would have changed after that point.

2 Likes

It did change! Bronze went from 7% to 14%. You just want to keep the narrative that I fabricate what I say so you can keep attacking me and you’re not even right in your accusations.