The real problem with QM and solution

Right now, I am not having Fun in QM and that is because of the current Culture and skill level of the current playerbase.

It seems that Blizzard refuses to acknowledge that there are simply too many new and bad players who play and barely know how to operate a Computer. I get constantly matched with players with sub 20% win rates who just walk down mid till they die and ignore every thing else. Every single game has at least 1 or 2 of these astronomically bad players and they get matched with people like myself with 75% Win rates. I am assuming for “Balance Purposes”.

But here is my question. Why is the system like this?

No Offence, but I have no desires at all to play with any of these people with sub 50% WIn rates, I want to improve and I want to play with and against others with 75% Win rates for once. Not these Half and half teams that I always see every game (1-2 Good players with 2-3 Potatoes and an afk player.

I do not care if games take an extra 30 seconds to find, but I cannot take this game seriously anymore and neither should anybody until this clownfest is over in QM.

Solution:
New Accounts only play Vs new accounts, till they played at least ~100-200 games to get rid of their “new account status”
Low win rates only play low win rates
High Win rates only play with other High Win rates
Returning players should also be placed in a special category for a game or 2 just to make sure they are not just dropping in for 30 min after 2 years to ruin my game (It happened)

Basically, there needs a sense of consistency in QM or you will keep having this current “I don’t care, I do what I want!” Culture in your game.

Have a system to assess skill of a player on each hero and use that to match:
Something like:

• Number of games played with the hero this patch in QM
  • Skillshots landed,
  • Damage per burst/fight that leads to a kill,
  • Time Spent dead (deviation from the team average),
  • Time Idle (When waiting for the enemy/Team to do something and wasting time instead of doing a camp or clearing a wave or getting in position for Obj),
  • Effectiveness (# average of team/role and other players on that hero and matchup),
  • Team Fight participation,
  • Camp participation,
  • TD participation,
  • XP per minute while behind in XP or ahead,
  • etc.

You could easily program that and who cares if people try to game the system because of they do all of these things their chances to win will just increase, making them better gamers (Another thing Blizz failed to do, teach people the proper way and etiquette to be part of a team in Heroes of the Storm) because this is a numbers game at the end of the day as well as skill and strategy and teamwork.

1 Like

Another person suggesting solutions that partially exist and don’t work great due to a lack of enough new players to make them viable.

Along with dumb ideas about using winrate for matchmaking.

7 Likes

Clarification: The win rates is only for new players, after their 100-200 games are completed, they get placed based on performance. This is to give time to get a decent sample size of this player’s skill, it doesn’t let new accounts ruin the games of veterans and it enables new players to learn in an environment more suitable for their current skill/experience level.

This separation is to retain the good kind of new players. Right now they are not treated properly and end up being part of the “I don’t care, I do what I want” Culture. If a new player wants to be invested in the game he needs consistency and the game needs to reward him when he improves (Winning games).

Right now this is the new player experience:
Gets into his first QM game: Has no clue how to do anything and is vs 2 Diamond Smurfs who completely Obliterates him and his entire team is yelling at him calling his trash so now this player gets emotional and mad because he is trying but there is so much he doesn’t yet understand about the game that it overwhelms him and this player quits and never comes back. So if that player has a 20% Win rate he should play with and against others in his boat to give him a chance to learn at his own pace and not be subjected to unfair games that are simply not any fun because the option to win is not there for that player.

That doesn’t solve the issue with this:

Using winrate as an analog for much in a matchmaker is silly.

Especially as if you continue to win a lot, you just restrict the people you can play with. Increasing your queue time.

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

But WHy is this bad? Why would people rather a bunch of quick mediocre games over waiting 30-60 seconds for a better experience? Why are you even playing Video games if you cannot afford to wait 1 extra minute? You play it to kill time and because you enjoy it. Right now it’s a miserable experience and everyone knows it they just don’t have the time or need to post about it.

If you were the #1 Player in the world, you would want to play with the 9 other top players, not the bottom 10% Right? It’s like if We had Michael Jordan and 5th graders vs LeBron and 6th Graders

Because in the end you will end up finding no matches at all for long period of time since the playerbase of Hots isn’t the biggest. I even heard that there are areas in the world, where people struggle to find a match at all, because the queue time is rather large.

If you’re #1 player in the world you should be totally capable to carry and mentoring the other players though and carry them to victory or at least an challenging and exciting match.

Why do you think the playerbase is so low? It’s because the game is NOT ENJOYABLE. There are problems and the biggest problem is the players themselves yet Blizzard refuses to acknowledge this or attempt to remedy it. (Prob because they gave up on this game)

See this is what you fail to grasp. Why should the Top player be subjected to lesser players? As you improve you should play with and against better opponents not have lesser skilled opponents to see if you can carry them…

1 Like

Because you get to a point where either:
A. You make the range of difference in what winrate are acceptable is like 30%. Which makes it pointless for people.
B. The odds are if you just added this winrate thing to QM, queues would explode in duration.
C. A good matchmaker will attempt to match you against players of your skill, which over time should push you towards a 50% winrate.

There is more, but, a system using winrate is doomed to take much longer to find games, or allow such a wide range of winrates, that it isn’t going to accomplish your desired goals.

As someone who played with the #1 GM player, against number 4&7 towards the middle of the last HL season… no.

The #7 GM carried their team as Medivh, our #1 GM played a meh tyreal and didn’t communicate at all despite me reaching out.

Also you seem to make it think that those are the choices.

And, uh, how often are the top 10 players on the world online?
Do they just never play unless they’re all online?

Because that’s pretty much showing the issue of has in regards to queues.

Because many players have the mindset: “Oh, there is no competitive scene! It’s dead!”.

1 Like

I’m able to, at 5am, generally find games in <60s on NA in QM, and the majority are enjoyable.

Maybe 80-20.

Hardly the plague you suggesting.

Could it be better? Yeah. ALWAYS.

But are you in games with 1-2 absolute potatoes every game though? That is the problem, the game seems to have no way of telling how skilled a player is and it seems to not care that most games are ruined by having these players in it. (I’ll assume you are a decent player in this case)

I’ve come to notice that The Top player has minimal impact in this game, but the worst players has the largest impact. Therefore this game is centered on the principle of Whichever team has the worst player, is probably going to lose. It’s also kinda my strategy playing QM now, I hunt down the idiot and get 400 meat as Butcher because their KTz has no idea how to position safely where I can just E him while he is alone trying to kill a 4 camp

Nope. That is not my experience.

I would say I play with someone like that 10% of the time, rounding up. Probably closer to 5%/less.

It has been that way for me since late closed/early open beta. :man_shrugging:

How many games must I win until the game stops placing me with bad players? They are in never single game, without fail. I just want to play with similar players, not GM Smurfs, not Complete donkeys!

By bad players, I don’t just mean trolls, I mean people who seem like they have no clue what to do and how to play… Like eventually, my MMR should place these players in a No-go zone for my account no??? But instead all it does is puts more of them on my team the more I win… It’s really not a good experience.

Is playing as 5 stack really the only way to ensure good games? Wait nope… I did that too and we were only faced by other 5 stacks with Cheesy strats and Master Smurfs vs Silvers, oh and the games took over 5 minutes to find as a 5 stack

Personally, I feel it is because people are moving on from Mobas in general. Now that is in no way saying that LoL and Dota are “dead”, but I do feel they are less popular than they have been in the past.

1 Like

Because qm has something called mentor system that make you play with less skilled people. That goes for both teams btw.

1 Like

They need to remove that… that right there (if true) is the problem. I have 0 desire to carry noobs

We should team up if you ever rank

I’m doomed to almost never find a game if they remove that.
I play solo QM and have one of the best MMR in both of my accounts, next to all these cheesy 5 stacks Koreans.
My queue time is around 40 sec. But, to find a balanced game like in SL, I would have to wait +5 min.

Winrate in this context is meaningless. Winrate tells the story, but the mmr is what matters. Ppl need to realise that you can have a 20% wr player and a 80% wr player on the same mmr (range) thus they’re getting matched together.
If those ppl don’t belong together in reality tho, the bad falls lower, the good rises higher or both.

1 Like

Winrates can also be farmed in ai mode so what happens if you get 10 players with 80% winrate but only 2 of them are actually good and deserve the winrate he has by winning games in qm and not ai mode.