The Change to Maiev’s lvl 16 talent Cruel Chain feels like a mistake

This change is a substantial nerf to her W build which is a nerf to Maiev’s already weak lategame and it removes the most interesting talent interaction of her kit while lowering the skill sealing of this playstyle by simplifying her combo.

The entire reason you would go W build in the first place was to get access to burst damage and solo kill potential after lvl 16. Contrary to what is written in the patch, Cruel Chain was arguably the most impactful talent in her entire kit(and one of the more interesting talents in the game imo) and marked pretty much Maiev’s only powerspike past 10.

Not only is the max damage bonus now reduced by 30%, the way in which you reach that maximum is also way more unreliable and doing so has less to do with skill and execution then it did previously. On top of that it now gives you zero bonus damage vs single targets, where before you could nearly one shot backliners.

This change also completely removes the interesting synergy that this build created between lvl 4 Blade Dance and lvl 7 Elune’s Wrath which you would pick to get the extra procs of damage for the increased Crule Chain bonus. Now in order to get the maximum burst you have to bind 5 people which is extremely unlikely to happen and not something you can realistically and reliably achieve.

This talent was also the most fun to play with because it increased Maiev’s already high skill ceiling even further, you had to think more about the ordering of your abilities and sometimes change the way in which you engage. It took a lot of practice and time to consistently use your abilities in the right way to get the full bonus damage, but the reward was potentially huge and you could decide games by executing it successfully.

But maybe the main reason for taking W build was that this combo was her best tool to have an impact in the lategame outside of her raw engage potential which always is completely depended on your team being able to follow up and in general is greatly diminished in the later stages of the game where the map is more open, there is less roaming, more 5-maning and the enemy likely has a lot more tools to deal with your engage.

This change makes one of Maiev’s biggest problem even worse, that your lategadme is very one dimensional and lackluster. Off the top of my head i now can’t think of any hero that has a less impactful 16 and 20 talent tier.

If the goal of this Change was to break the necessary combination of her level 4, 7, and 16 talents then i would argue that simply removing the synergy between them and simplifying her talent tree in the process is the wrong approach. instead maybe give more of her talents at 4 and 7 some form of additional damage proc, so that depending on the situation there are several combinations to choose from when you want to go for a Cruel Chain combo playstyle.

In any case, i really hope that we won’t be stuck with this new version.

much love

3 Likes

what

both other 16 were/are in line with this too, and did u see how they buffed vengeful knives ???
Maiev was never designed for single target burst, hence this change to cruel chain imo
and also all of her 20 have “an impact in the late game”

stop da bs

I don’t think so, though maybe it’s this, but imo it’s because Maiev was intended as a situational AoE dmg dealer

also stop it, Maiev has tons of buids diversity, you can go straight up for 3 “main” builds, Chains / Q / E. And you can build on-the-go to adapt to the situations, all her talents are worthy picking, so no stop stop stop and stop xD

Majority of Maiev players used to only play her for this very build, and it’s now cut-off. Pitty, yeah but maybe the percentage of players who used to play this build is as high as the percentage of other options Maiev can build in so
I as well did not want this change and would be happy to have the option back, but I don’t want the new option removed neither

1 Like

Are you a quick match player? I have not any logical explanation to what you write every time concerning maiev. Im definitly talking with varag

1 Like

Maiev needs full rework. Melee assasin created to cut the crowd but without sustain and without one target damage? Sound really stupid. Devs said she had to counter high mobility heroes yet she doesnt have any tools for that. Its easy to keep distance and kill her, her blink is easy to predict (unlike Zera).
Now she is more like support. She provides allies with the opportunity to deal damage, but her own is difficult to implement, q range is small, no slowing down, self healing (I hate to go b after every teamfight in qm, even Samuro has selfhealing now!) And here is my main complain: she has 0 choice on lvl 13 talents. I mean, choosing between armor, armor and armor is not a choice, its poor design. It made sense when she had baseline armor tho
Blizzard dont know how to balance melee assasins. In other moba games melee assasins do a lot of burst dmg and have a lot of mobility or sustain, their job is to destroy fragile targets quickly.
Zera and Qhira are much better in every situations then Maiev now

I apologize for my poor eng language

1 Like

As a lvl 143 maeive who tried both talent. Im not even mad. Im just done with her sinds they removed master queue. I dont agree with the dev comment and im not sure why they made the dmg in order, you grab the outer heroes first thats mostly the squichys.

So again they punish veteran players…

2 Likes

They punish skill based mechanics. I think it was the real intention

2 Likes

She was already very niche. She has one of the best engages in the game but almost nobody knows how to follow up on that.
Not they made her even more teamdependand (sorry for spelling, its late)

1 Like