Tanking 101 - A Short Guide to the Basics of Playing a Main Tank

I’ll do it when I get home. Great guide by the way. I really liked the video aspect to show what you meant.

1 Like

On which server are you all playing.If i can i would like to join and play a few games because most of the time when i was playing i would play alone and i always wanted to find a group in which i can play

1 Like

I still tank with Yrel. Am i a pariah ?

Both, although I am on NA more frequently. Feel free to add me on bnet. There is usually a group of people from the Discord server crashing around the Nexus.

1 Like

This is something that really annoys me that people don’t get. If you are at a 100% health as Kael, and your tank is at 5% health. Guess what, you can take a few more hits than your tank, and if that gives your tank enough time to disengage so your healer can stabilize his health, and you all get away, then that’s actually good a lot of the times.

One of the great things about QM games is you learn that without a tank, everyone has the capability and the potential responsibility to tank for a short amount of time.

2 Likes

Without a doubt. A lot of the tips I listed, although they are given in the context of tanking, can apply to any hero. For example, the tank doesn’t have to be the one to scout, if you have a hero on your team that can do it faster, and more safely, such as Medivh, Lunara, or Abathur.

It also teaches you just how effective a Prog Rock ETC can be as a solo healer!

1 Like

One other random note, don’t be afraid of a double tank comp. Several tanks work well in the off-lane, and having extra protection for the back line is never bad.

(No, this isn’t just a thinly veiled attempt to get more people to play Blaze. Honest.)

2 Likes

Do a blaze guide also!!

2 Likes

Heh, thanks for the bump. I will definitely consider it once I hit 100 on him!

Please do both off-tank Blaze guide and main-tank Blaze guide. Many thanks.

1 Like

Can do!

1 Like

Why till then? It will take forever

He is 84? 85? now, and I have been spamming him recently. Even my favorite Hierarch has been benched in his favor for the time being.

But why? He is easy enough to play without a guide.

E into 5 people
Stun nobody
Hit D
Delay death by 0.3 seconds
Die
Flame in chat

2 Likes

So a necro stuff for a very naive question. When I tank, I really like to eat enemy skill shots. I know about stutter stepping (which is really different from how I do it XD). My question is more about reacting versus predicting. I mean, you avoid skill shots with a good reactivity or is it because you “predict” stuff and path in consequence?

I love having a dominating presence but I dont like receiving damage.
You can’t predict damage 100% but you can look at what is being thrown at you and what type of damage it has.

Raynor deals low poke damage and W build chromie deals burst.
If you know how much you can take you know how long you can survive in a fight.

2 Likes

Hoku would approve of this necro.

1 Like

Good grief, this is an old thread!

Anyway, to your question, there are times you do want to eat skill shots, such as when a team mate is channeling an objective or to protect a structure/Immortal/low HP ally, but most of the time you don’t want to take unneccesary damage if you can avoid it. The best way to avoid eating unnecessary damage is to learn the timing on the major things that hurt like hell, such as Chromie’s Dragon Breath, or Ming’s Orbs (assuming she isn’t getting CDR and resets), and planning your positioning around them. Also note that minions are your best bestest friends against many skill shots, so letting them soak things for you is ideal.

Some things are easier to dodge than others, and if you are having issues, one thing I do recommend is if you have move speed options, such as Shed Exoskeleton on Anub’arak or Conviction on Johanna, they can definitely help with juking as much as securing kills. Personally, I am addicted to move speed talents on tanks.

2 Likes

ARAM players should take notes of this.

3 Likes

Excellent guide mate, should be stickied

2 Likes