Storm League Match Making broken

I was matched vs a 5 man premade party using voice coms. My team: 5 randoms. This happened already several times. They should be matched vs other 4/5 man but not vs 5 randoms. The matchup is extremely unfair and when they not play as 5 they will drop in rank. Either way this ruins the fairness/fun in the game.

1 Like

It’s not a bug. It’s only very unlikely to happen statistically. Not impossible though.

It happens roughly 5 times out of every 8410 matches (a full solo team going against a premade party of 5), which is a probability of 0.05%.

(Will happen more often on Australia/South America/Singapore server due to lack of players, the simulation above is for US/EU)

As you can see from the chart above, the matchmaker does everything it can to avoid creating matches like this.

Well it does everything it can, but that is still not enough. If you get 2 x 2 premade on your team and they get a full stack than it is still unfair as ****. And for this match up chances are much much higher than 5 out of 8k. If they don’t have enough people playing in Australia/South America/Singapore they should probably think about splitting SL in 2 game modes. 1 for premades and 1 for solo. How about that? I think this is an awesome idea the devs of Blizzard would never ever have. I guess more people would play SL if the game mode was more fair and hence more fun. omg …

That is a very different scenario with a much higher likelihood. Your initial post mentioned you were in a full solo team against a full stack.

they should probably think about splitting SL in 2 game modes. 1 for premades and 1 for solo.

This game had two separate modes for solos and premades. It was called Hero League and Team League.
There weren’t enough players left to sustain both game modes, so they were merged into Storm League.

Another game 4 premade in voice coms vs randoms with a 2 man premade. How the heck does Blizzard think this could be fun? I don’t care at all about triple the waiting time! I want a real game and not this b&%^s&$^! @Shapeshfiter I know about this. I think it’s time to be sarcastic. I think it’s time not a single person gives money to Blizzard any more. This company got lost to shareholders. To hell with these capitalists! Take away all the money from your shareholders and give it to the developers. Shorten salaries of managers. And try to read a book. Maybe something about a guy called Jos de Blok. Get someone like him and hire him as the only manager in Blizzard and send all shareholders to hell.

Ah, one more thing: I will keep reporting 4/5 man premades which go up against randoms as cheaters. It might not be according to the real meaning of the word cheat but the outcome is still the same. That’s what counts to me.

Nice: 2 games out of 3 today were vs a premade 4 man. Honestly I am pissed as hell. Ofc my team had only one 2 man premade in each of these games.

I cannot tell how pissed I really am. This is complete bullcrap. Give people a check box: “I am okay playing vs parties of 3 or more for shorter queue times.” I think only a few people would agree to this - possibly by accident.

Complete match history of today: 5 games: won 2, lost 3, 2 of the losses account to bad match making (3 randoms + 2 man premade vs 4 stack). Who would not be pissed? I can go on and record party statistics for every game. 80% of losses are just due to this crap match making.

1 Like

If you’re against 5man premade, likely your teammates have higher MMR to make up for the comms.

1 Like

@Droggo69 lol! Likely they have even worse MMR. In todays game random vs 5 stack the stack had a level 57 silver 1 player with 85% win rate. My team made up for it by losing in 12 minutes. Even though we had a 2 man premade. Oh wow this 2 man had a real chance man! They both were the worst players in the game. … Well tell me that this level 57 guy is not something like a master smurf and now tell me that is not cheating. Because it is. It is encouraged by Blizzard. Apparently the like things being like this. Oh well, the overall MMR in terms of rank points should then be several 1000s higher than my team was. Probably something like 10k? Oh yeah, fair enough.

How can you know they were in voice chat?

1 Like

I can’t but typically when they chain cc correctly without any miss, and when they are just coordinated on a level which I doubt is possible without voice chat chances are they are on voice chat.

Today’s 2 premade vs 5 premade I won. Well, I kinda carried it because they had to send 2 people top to compensate for their bad solo laner which I bullied. But honestly Blizzard that is the price they pay. They get bullied in the solo lane because my MMR is to low. And that is also my new strategy: I play solo laners. This way I most likely win the solo lane, so I allow my team to be worse because they got more xp or they play 4v3.

Next game vs a 4 stack + 65% win rate guy. I don’t get it. How can you call this fair? Come on Blizzard!

Next game: 3 smurfs in a party. This game is just broken. They were not even that good, just my team was a few k lower MMR. I mean, there are probably absolutely no ways to prevent smurfing. I see that. It is the same in every game from any vendor. Everywhere smurfing. ^^ It’s the same as stacks vs solo. There is just absolutely no way to implement a solo playing mode. It’s not possible. And anyway there are maybe 0.1% of people playing solo. There is just no reason to do something for these people.

its a very small chance of happening, usually 5stacks get matched with other 5 stacks or parties. Also unless you’re a really pro team playing together, or having a really good player shotcalling and the rest 4 listen, 5 stack doesnt really give you an advantage. In fact 99% of the high masters and GMs got up there by solo queuing, only people who are stuck in silver/gold/plat/diamond plays in a party and have you noticed they can’t really climb?

To be honest I don’t agree with this statement. Everytime I play US servers I get match against teams when I play in my home region (ANZ) I don’t get as many 5 mans and if there is one (and I’m solo) I normally just wait them out after the match.

Edit: Didn’t realize this was so old but I guess I wasn’t the one who necro’d

Oh, I meant the probability of facing a 5 stack (as ANZ has less players, so the matchmaking criteria aren’t as strict, the game can even have players from all ranks on the same team).

As the reddit link shows above, this happens 1:2000 on EU/US. On ANZ it could happen five games in a row if there was a premade online.

But now that you mention it, I realize there might be very few (if any) premades left on ANZ playing the game. Most aussies probably go solo now or in smaller parties.

(Example: On ANZ, a gold or silver player might face a Master/Grand Master multiple times in a row in SL. On US, this would be a 0% chance)

Yeah I know what you mean but I always get at least 1 when I play in US. 1:2000 doesn’t seem right to me as I only play 1 game in the US and I seem to get it.

But yeah I know what you mean though it’s not as bad as you think. Though sometimes if your a stack and you match with another stacks you’ll get matched with them 5 games in a row (Is actually quite fun).

Also most master in ANZ SL etc no longer play their mains and instead play smurfs so they don’t run into those issues but instead cause unbalanced MM for the rest of us (Plats playing with Bronzes is the biggest rainbow match Ive seen in a while)

1 Like

That also happens on US/EU during late night/early morning hours. While not a bug, it can be a really fun little mini-rivalry. Of course, the higher the player’s MMR, the more likely this is to happen during off-hours (only two premades online, going against each other repeatedly).

Sure is Just make sure you let the other team win 1 or 2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: