Starting gold and gems

Hi all!
So I have a friend who started playing HOTS when all the heroes were free, so she tried Deathwing and really liked him. But now that the free heroes event is over, she can’t play deathwing anymore. And i thought i’d either give her some help or have her play enough to buy him with gold. So what’s the starting amount of gold and gems when you start playing at first, just to give me an idea?

2 Likes

None, I believe, but you can buy gems with real money, if she thinks it is worth it.

Unfortunate. Though we did play a couple of AI games so maybe she did the daily quests. I’ll have to ask her

Also, i think the starting amount of gold and gem should be enough to buy 2 of the least expensive heroes in my opinion.

1 Like

You earn gold pretty quickly when leveling. Make sure she tries out various heroes when they are on free rotation, does the quests, and she will get 500 gold for each hero she gets to level 5. A few of those, and you can buy some of the less expensive heroes. Good luck to you both!

4 Likes

I completely forgot about the level 5 gold rewards. Maybe it’s because most of my heroes are pretty high leveled already (i’m level 587 as of now).
Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

The other thing to note is you get 150 gems every 25 player levels. That’s the only non-paying way you get them.

Also, keep in mind you level slower in vs A.I.

1 Like

This isn’t quite true. VS AI provides you with the same experience as if you lost a match in QM. So you miss out on the 50,000XP but depending on circumstances this can be almost inconsequential. Actually, you may level faster in VS AI if:

• You lose a lot of times against players (losing against AI is rare even as a newby)
  • You specifically farm AI and run a hour-long match until you reach level 30

In case of the latter you could acquire over a million XP per match. It’s quite a monotonous activity and almost counter-intuitive in style but it’s effectively the fastest way to level, still.

IMO, both of those claims are true: QM in general is faster than playing normal AI’s, but if you do join 1 hour farm groups (an unusual way to play AI mode) then yes AI will be faster, plus you can get a huge First Win of the Day bonus after you complete the farm.

But you are not guaranteed to find AI farm groups every time you log in, it depends on pure luck and whether you are on the right chat channel.
There are also set tasks for each party member in a farm group you can’t deviate from even if you find it boring, or they kick you out.

Please dont forget the refer a friend option. Its still valid untill lvl 20

1 Like