Something Nice about Exp Globes

Something something, those super OP towers?

It’s the same, only different! :slight_smile:

It’s a buff to melee heroes without buffing their combat stats. That’s an elegant way to strengthen/weaken heroes when even small combat changes turn them OP/UP.

I wouldn’t say a massive overhaul on how xo works and has worked for years is elegant.

It seems like a better way could have been found and should have been tested first. If they announced this test in a public manner and made it easy for people to get in they would of have more data without messing up the game.

2 Likes

That’s fair; it all depends on how much one thinks that melee assassins in general needed a boost.

it encourages early pvp. I like the idea, in general, but it only works for games where a standard comp faces a standard comp. In QM or with odd heroes like abathur or TLV, game is incredibly one sided…

1 Like

Calling this exp change “elegant” is like calling living next to a very active train yard with no sound-proofing in your house “peaceful.”

Maybe by comparison to living at the end of the runway of a major international airport, but by the dictionary definition of the word? Nah.

1 Like

It’s even easier to carry when I’m better than my opponents now.

Played seven games last night and I was easily able to dominate 1-2 lanes while denying XP and exploiting mistakes for kills.

This is something the game needed a long time ago. It rewards superior play.

Oh, and buff Azmodan… he is hurting on 3-lane maps at the moment.

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Buffing melee heroes without buffing their combat stats is an elegant way to strengthen/weaken heroes when even small combat changes turn them OP/UP.

Seriously, I wasn’t going to bother to explain, but if the running tally seems to indicate that people are confused by a simple period at the end of a sentence and the word “That” at the start of the next . . .

1 Like

You mean, it’s even easier to snowball so the game is decided at the 2-minute mark and it’s pointless to keep going after that because you’re behind a talent tier and down 3 forts.

This is something that should never have made it past internal testing. It turns a fun game into a frustrating chore.

5 Likes

Um… no, that isn’t what I said. Snowballing is when one team gets a small advantage and is able to easily stay ahead despite being otherwise equal. In my games the teams were not equal and we just outplayed the other team.

The game wasn’t won because of snowball mechanics, it was won because it is now easier to overpower enemies who have inferior game sense and mechanics. This is something people have been asking for—more individual impact in games.

Or maybe you just got lucky after a few early mistakes and quickly gained an overwhelming statistical advantage over them, with no way to recover. They were, after all, matched in the same game as you. They should all be at around the same skill level as you. Ever heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

This change does nothing to increase individual impact in games, because if your teammates screw up in the early game and lose out on EXP, it’s all downhill from there, and skilled play will only get you so far when the enemy team has a 2-level lead.

I’ll just leave this here, a very relevant post by the devs made in March of 2019:

The devs spent years fine-tuning EXP gains so that the losing team would always have a good shot at making a comeback. Then they threw all of that out the window with this ill-conceived mechanic.

Before this change, it was quite rare for the losing team to be down a talent tier for more than a minute. Now, the winning team often has a 3-level lead by the end of the game, and the losing team spends a large portion of the match down a talent tier because they can’t safely farm EXP.

1 Like

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Man, it’s like people don’t even bother reading…

1 Like

FTFY.

That not what I said… and I was playing Zeratul for three if the seven games, Sylvanas for two, Garrosh for one, and I forget who for the last but it wasn’t a bruiser (Kharazeem maybe?).

Edit: was Kerrigan

I’ts nice they are trying things but this one is awful and pushes the game into more clone matches with clone compositions everytime, and those who don’t particularly enjoy clone matches with clone characters will leave the game.

Clearly that’s what hots needed, ha.

3 Likes

“something nice about exp globes”
There, I said it! =)

Honestly, they’re awful. They require that you get much closer than you used to have to. For people in lanes against lane bullies, you can be completely pushed off the exp, even if you’re doing what you’re supposed to.

You’ve got issues with anyone with significant ranged skills being able to get credit. The globes can disappear before they even close the distance to claim them (Ming, Chromie, and Azmo are ones I’ve personally had this happen with).

It’s just a dumb and unnecessary mechanic. It doesn’t make the game better and should be reverted. People should be getting enough of a visual indicator with the floating combat text that shows +exp when they’re in range. If they need more help understanding the importance of that, that’s what a tutorial mode would be useful for.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, “Freezing a Lane” to force someone away from EXP globes doesn’t happen. People can usually still wait for turrets to kill the minions, pop out the door for a second and go back inside. (I mean unless there’s actually 2 or 3 people outside in which case the enemy team is kinda messing up anyway).
And I don’t understand why you would even want to deny exp in this fashion to begin with. If you’re in a lane, not killing minions you are not doing your part.

This ain’t LoL. Lanes are not Islands. They are mostly pretty close and everyone has mounts. You get around really fast. The best play most of the time is to clear your wave, check the minimap for options, and then go help another lane or do mercs or go obj. Rarely is fighting your guy in lane 1v1 the best move.
And for exactly this play style, exp globes really slow you down. Cause you have to clear your wave, get the globes, and then go do your things. It’s just another step. It’s just annoying, even with relatively close range heroes like Deathwing I keep finding myself having to grab the damn globes before helping my team.
This is terrible imo.

The vibe I’m kinda getting from most of you is that this change was made while keeping storm league in mind. Is that right?
I really play nothing but QM. And I friggn love it.
You can tell me whatever you like about increasing your skill in SL and feeling good about being in masters and whatnot.
I just wanna get cooky games with weird team composition. There is even an mmr system for QM which even tries to be fair on some level.

Oh, how I agree. You can’t even imagine how much I agree.

That’s one good thing about it. I like them dings.

2 Likes

Whatever you say, Sir Suckup of the White Knights.