Serious discussion: Do people only play QM because of short queue times and would way prefer draft if it had the same queue times?

Except in draft you also have some responsibility to draft a sensible team. While it’s technically true that you can rush 1st pick, take whatever you want and let the rest of the team sort out the mess, that’s still incredibly selfish and ruins the entire point of draft.

Additionally, if you can do it, why can’t your teammates? Do you really want to reduce draft to a ‘who clicks fastest’ competition?

10 Likes

You say it ruins the entire point of draft but that’s missing the point. The only reason draft has this “point” is because it stands in contrast with quickmatch.

Without quickmatch, draft would just be the only mode and there wouldn’t be a “point”, you can play whatever you want if you wish to

I play QM when I’m drunk or high. It’s the game mode just to have fun and fast are nice.

1 Like

If ppl would only play QM because it has shorter queues, they could simply fix this by starting to play ranked. Because the gamemode with the most queuers is the quickest.

I play QM so I can play whatever I want. I don’t need to pick something else, ppl don’t ban/steal my pick and I like its chaotic nature.

Plus I heard there are ppl who don’t play ranked because they fear their rank. Either to get it or to start falling.

QM should stay.

7 Likes

How is it any different from a selfish perspective when you play QM amd Force your team to play with whatever you pick? At least in draft they can adjust their own picks around your selfishness.

QM is the epitome of being selfish… if you just want to play your own hero with no regrets you should be playing vs AI. The being said, the recent AI changes make this beyond painful, so I’m not actually advocating that be the long term solution unless they correct AI first.

3 Likes

Pretty much this. Simple freedom of choice and/or people afraid of their (low) rank being rubbed in their face every game. Telling yourself you are high ranked/“master level” player because of QM is easier.

Because it is expected in QM, so people will not cry or throw because of your choice of hero. Everyone is selfish in QM, that is part of the charm of that mode.

8 Likes

The problem is that new players are forced into a game full of selfish old-timers who don’t even like the game. It has been hurting HotS’ growth for a long time.

You’ve even admitted your motivations are basically selfish. You can be selfish and have reduced guilt because people will blame Blizzard’s matchmaking instead of blaming you.

Congrats.

1 Like

Nobody is forced anywhere. There is no problem here.

You literally expect people to hammer a key and tell the rest to deal with it in the draft modes.

You do not like HoTS. You hate it with all your soul. How do i know? Same way as you do.

Wrong.

4 Likes

And how would forcing those same new players into a draft mode, where the same selfish player base would tell them that they get to fill, then yell at them for being a crappy tank/healer help anything?

Like I said, in QM it is expected, so there are fewer hurt feelings. Don’t get me wrong, I like playing draft modes, too, and will always fill when necessary. However, there are also times when I want to be selfish, play Diablo, and to hell with what anyone else thinks about it. And as I said, I like the weirdness of QM, including the mirror matches and no-healer games. Those to me are just as enjoyable as the “everyone draft meta or we lose” draft games.

6 Likes

Draft mode is how the game is balanced by the developers and how it is intended to be played.

Right now new accounts are basically forced to play either Vs AI or Quickmatch until they grind enough to play the actual game. By that point many new players are just giving up due to poor game quality. There are literally hundreds of posts on this forum consistently that support my argument.

You are selfish, that’s the only thing you have. You even claim it again with your Diablo argument.

2 Likes

The difference is that QM doesn’t expect you to coordinate with your team. The whole point (charm?) of QM is that everyone IS allowed to pick whatever they want. You’re not hurting anyone by picking a Hero you like, they can still play whatever Heroes they like. There’s nothing wrong with (only) playing Heroes you like in QM.

This is not the case in draft, where your entire team is supposed to cooperate to build an effective team comp. The main problem with selfishness in draft isn’t that you’re making people play with the Hero you like and picked. It’s that you’re limiting your team’s freedom to pick Heroes they like, as you’re forcing them to adjust their picks around you (or risk playing at a major disadvantage). Obviously you’re always going to adjust picks to each other, but it’s supposed to be give and take. Not just take as you’re suggesting.

Not really. There are QM complaint threads, true, but I haven’t really seen any from new players. It’s mostly (selfish) people that prefer draft that then conclude that draft should therefore be the only game mode.

6 Likes

Essentially irrelevant.

There is no actual game. If you falsely refer to draft modes, TL und UD do have no/very low restrictions.

3 Likes

Agreed, but that doesn’t mean modes such as QM or brawls aren’t fun, regardless. There is no reason that just because the games is optimized around one mode, the other modes are suddenly invalid.

New players can play brawls, unranked draft, and Team League. They are by no means forced to play only AI or QM. The only mode they cannot play is Hero League. In addition, I can find as many complaints about any of the draft modes, particularly when it comes to having new players forced to play with experienced ones, and vice versa. Giving them more options rather than fewer seems like it would help alleviate some of the issues.

Personally, I feel like it isn’t the available modes that makes the game tough for new players, but the lack of training/learning opportunities either in the game, or linked from obvious places within the game.

Sometimes I am, sometimes I am not. I may be strange in that I actually enjoy variety, and I am not always in the same mind set every time I play the game. Selfishness isn’t the only driving argument, so saying that it is the “only thing” I have is a misinterpretation at best, and argument by character assassination at worst. One argument is that QM is the best place to be when one is selfish, as that attitude is expected. The larger argument is that QM gives more freedom and variety of match experience than draft modes ever will. While this can create rough matchups, I like challenges such as those.

4 Likes

I recently made a new account on Asia when I moved to Korea. I am talking 100% from actual experience – not pontificating.

You cannot play draft modes until you have leveled up your account and unlocked enough heroes. And even then, UD is 1200s+ queues on Asia so is not playable – especially on a new account.

1 Like

People should then play a mode they seem not to like so that you can play your favourite mode with short qeueus ?!

4 Likes

Saying a particular mode has a long wait time on a specific region is a completely different argument. I had a friend from EU start an NA account, and we could queue into TL immediately, even though he owned exactly two heroes, and had access to a smaller pool of weekly free heroes than a higher level account does. He was in no way limited to AI/QM only.

2 Likes

You need to have 16 heroes not including Cho’Gul to queue for Unranked or Team League. And for Hero League, your 16 heroes have to be over level 5.

I’m pretty sure your buddy lied to you.

1 Like

I went playing TL after a while, it was fun but sometimes i want to play a more diverse set of heroes and QM allows me to do so without being too selfish in a draft.

In draft you are forcing 4 people on your team to play with whatever you pick. In QM you are forcing 4 people on your team to play with whatever you pick. It is the same amount of selfishness, you just don’t notice it as much. It is poisonous to new players and they don’t even realize it.

If QM was marketed as being like “Wild” is in Hearthstone, it wouldn’t be so bad. The game could have Ranked and Unranked which is advertised as being the “way to play”, and then “Wild” would be more like Brawl as an alternate and odd mode with disclaimers on the load screen telling players that the game is not balanced around the mode and it is not intended for regular play. Then I would be happy.

1 Like