Serious discussion: Do people only play QM because of short queue times and would way prefer draft if it had the same queue times?

Most replies here are about you guys wanting to pick the hero you want to play.

The simple solution to it is to remove bans from unranked draft modes and it would be the new quickmatch.

That way, if you want to play a hero, just first pick it, no one will ban it from you.

That is exactly how dota works and no one ever complains they can’t play the hero they want to play.

The best part is, NO ONE EVERY COMPLAINS about team comps anymore because people know they are responsible for their own comps

1 Like

Hi all, I just downloaded the game last week, and still don’t even have basic mastery of 1 hero, nevermind all 49854784754 heros in this game. The idea that I could be presented with some random hero I have never played (because my 1 hero either being banned or taken by someone else) and be expected to contribute to my team is laughable.

So, if you want another reason people would tend to stick to QM, its because we’re new, and have to learn 985984758475847584 heros first before we can even attempt draft mode. That will take people like me 14,000 years. Hope you enjoy that queue time… not joking.

4 Likes

I play quick match to play the hero I want to play. Sometimes I’ll rotate through preferred heroes such that I’m choosing the one that has a lower wait time. Throwing a draft phase into QM makes absolutely no sense in that regard.

I don’t play ranked draft as much these days because solo queuing in a team game is a clownfiest of frustration and incompatible teammates. If I’m going to play the game with teammates who don’t really understand how not to play as an individual only looking for their own personal glory and rank, I might as well play that game in the mode where I’m not really concerned about my standings on a ladder.

The only time the drafting meta-game is of any usefulness to me or makes any realistically strategic sense is during a tournament or as part of a ranked team (as oppose to a ranked individual) ladder. Any other time it just seems to be pandering to players who want to believe that the experience and their contribution to it are more significant than they really are.

1 Like

Yes, the main reason I play QM is because of the shorter queue time. I don’t have time for peeps to dodge a draft and force me to re-queue all over again.

Secondary reason, it is nice choosing the Hero you want to play (I’m flexible though, so it’s not that big of a deal for me).

I play QM because I want to play Genji 50 games in a row. I will deal with the bad matchmaking and comps.

Draft has no appeal for me anymore because if I’m going to spend the time and effort to draft a comp I want it to be a balanced comp with skilled teammates. This almost never happens for me in Unranked.

i like to play only QM because I dont want to play competitive. Also i like playing the hero that i feel like playing and not a support every game

1 Like

The reasons many play quick match are as follows:

1. The biggest draw of QM is being able to play a pvp game with your hero of choice no matter what. They will not be pressured to change for the sake of comps, filling roles, or forced to pick meta only. As long as multiple people can not play the same hero in draft mode, QM is the only mode 100% of players get to play what they wanted to pick.

2. In addendum to reason one, it is the only pvp mode people can practice with a specific hero or to be able to gain experience for that hero consistently.

3. So they can get a quick game.

4. Some people actually enjoy wacky random comps and playing with and against non meta heroes.

5. There is a segment of the game base that refuse to play certain roles or characters. A good chunk of which go to quick match since they are never pressured to play something else. Draft modes also have some people that refuse to fill no matter the situation, and removing quick match at this point would probably drastically increase the number of such players or they would just quit playing altogether.

6. QM is usually much more casual then any of the other pvp modes.

3 Likes

My issue with draft modes is that people can lock bad or troll picks after i have alread locked. Being unable to adjust to a poor draft results in a frustrating game. QM can shield you from that by starting with much lower expectations and much more freedom. This comes at the cost sometimes of balanced games and teamwork.

1 Like

No, queue times are irrelevant. I play QM because I’m guaranteed to play a specific character so I can practice them.

Remind me, how many people get to pick first? Im pretty sure just 1 and if you’re not that one then you still might not get to play the hero you want. The advantage of QM is everyone picks at the same time and the game just makes sure that no teams have two of the same hero on it which is as fair as you can hope for.

Also if you don’t get to pick first you are expected to fill in the roles. What if the person picking last wants to play an assassin they become stuck with either filling a role they don’t want to play or leaving their team without someone in one of those vital roles making the rest of your team angry and liable to report you

1 Like

I used to play hero league but I have largely moved away from it. I find draft modes more stressful. Enforced meta, people more likely to yell at each other if something goes wrong, people generally taking the game way too serious. Also, drafting itself takes quite a long time to get through and I would rather just play more games with more diversity in characters.

Ultimately, draft modes feel like work. QM is just fun. I work long hours during the day, the last thing I need is more work when I am trying to relax.

As everyone’s mentioned, people play heroes they wanna play.

All draft mode can’t make that happen every game, draft mode indeed adds complexity and strategies to the game, so dev team do the balance and gather their data from these mode to make sure no composition or individual hero are too powerful or out of control in overall, since you can form preferred style/combo according to the map.

Quick match, on the other hand give no info in advance at all, you go with your hero and it’s up to your performance, “individual performance”. It’s random but not that extreme, even it is extreme but it rarely happens. Player need to know what are strengths and weaknesses of their comp and what is the best way to win the map, so it requires a lot of knowledge and awareness in this chaotic environment, the wild environment.

I’ve been stating since the old forum and I still insist on my idea that, QM does not and will never suit for any very new player/amateur, I have seen many people say that you have to play with real people not with those AI because AI teach you nothing and you get bad habit from AI, so new player rush in to play in the playground that they’re not ready to be in.

like it or not, QM is the most play mode. If you want all draft mode to be the “absolute correct way to play the game”, then you need to promote, persuade and encourage people, not whining and complaining that people don’t play it.

It is called “customer need”, neither Blizz nor you can stop people from choosing QM over draft games.

I used to play draft exclusively. Nowadays I only play QM because it’s not going to take a billion years to get a game.

This definitely should not happen though. IMO Unranked Draft should be cut when HL and TL get rolled together.

1 Like

You did the math wrong. You need be comfortable with about 6 ~ 9 heroes.
2~3 main tanks, 2~3 bruisers (off-tanks) and 2~3 healers. You don’t need to be comfortable with any assassin because there are too many assassin out there. Also, it actually takes more time to learn the basic an macro skill than learning a new hero.

No.

On, so you can screws your team by rushing to lock in? Yeah, that really makes a good experience.

Nailed it!
And I say that as someone who usually does fill. Generally not an issue, but at times very annoying.

I’ve met some of those. lol.

QM as it currently stands will attempt to ensure each time has someone of the same role. Be it both teams have a bruiser/tank, a healer, or a support.

Screwing around in draft you can literaly make it so your team loses due to composition.

It can happen in QM, but QM attempts to nullify it to a degree that just picking “whoever you want” in draft does not.

lol.
If HotS did not have QM I would probably never have left DotA (WC3).
Same for lots of people.
If QM gets removed, you won’t see a migration to draft, well. Maybe a little. Say… 5-15% of QM games might end up in draft.

There is hilarious “blind draft” that I see people peddling awhich is just pointlessly adding complexity for basically no gains and potential abuse.

Agreed, the people who want to “fix” QM by drafting are not the target playerbase for QM.

lol.
I made an account recently to practice a hero… practicing in draft is important.
I had forgot that TL does not require levek 5+, but as a player level 60ish… I got into games in 1-/ minutes to finish placements in TL.

I draft you have to assume your enemy will draft a competent draft.
In QMyou can assume the teams will be roughly similar compositions.

What is so freaking hard for you to understand?

I see people ban heroes someone is showing even when we have first pick… wish I was joking.

6 Likes

Something about wanting to any hero I want and going in quickly into a game is pretty satisfying.
It’s a gamble sometimes, and there are times the MM drafts are pretty decent.

1 Like

I only play QM, because I can play the hero I want, no matter what, and can’t be flamed for my choice.

4 Likes

I play QM because I can play the hero I want and don’t have to conform to a meta. I’m pretty much a flex player and will always fill in draft modes, so QM gives me great freedom just to play a hero I can’t pick in draft for whatever reason.

4 Likes

Serius discussions smh

1 Like

For some reason this reminds me when I party with some friends… another one is like me.

I swear sometimes we fight over trying to get the other one to pick the hero they want and not to fill as the tank. (They almost always bring a friend who loves to support, so that is filled).

1 Like