Re:Positive Merits - HotS "Honor"/Commendation instead of MVP screen?

Melke seems to have deleted his thread before I got to read it, but its title did get me thinking. We really should have some sort of tangible positive merit system in HotS.

LoL has a system where you can “honor” one of your teammates after a game. You basically get to give one player on your team one of three commendations (leadership, friendliness, and level-headedness). Being honored enough increases the player’s “Honor Level,” offering tangible in-game rewards which help incentivize cooperation.

How about we do something like that in place of the MVP screen? The MVP screen doesn’t really lend much to the game, especially with how inaccurate it often is.

I’m thinking something like this:

• When the game ends, you get to give one of your (non-party member) teammates a commendation for either skilled play, good leadership, or being friendly and/or a good mediator. This is optional, and you can opt out.
  • When you get a commendation, you will be notified what the commendation was for, but not who gave it to you.
  • Having a high commendation level could increase exp or gold earned from games and earn extra shards and/or cosmetic rewards on a regular basis (like every quarter-season or so).
  • Players with high commendation levels get fewer games in leavers queue if they end up DCing or leaving a game.
  • Your commendation level decreases whenever a punitive action is taken against your account (warning, silence, suspension, or ban) or you leave a game.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Attitudes are kinda infectious; a jerk being a jerk to someone is likely to upset them and then they’re a jerk to someone else; or similarly, when someone starts laughing at something, other people are more prone to laughing at it too (provided they don’t have a loud and obnoxious laugh)

Some studies suggest that positive rewards are a better deterrent to negative behavior and do better to prevent bad stuff more than cautionary or punishing actions can be (provided there is a concrete knowledge on why the reward was given)

So in those regards, it would be better id there’s more an uplifting system instead. HotsLogs has an update in that they’re trying to have a similar system on their site (register your account and give accolades to people from your games)

Anything to help improve positivity.

What i dont like about overwatch is that votes feel disingenuous because people are throwing them around just to get xp for themselves.

Speaking of positive stories ive got one for you.

Enemy team’s liming shredded through our team like some kind of joke. After the match (we lost) i wispered the enemy liming and said ,“nice liming play”

Being complimented by someone from the opposite team really made them feel good and invited me as a friend.

In-built mvp or honour system be damned, i play with this player all the time now and enjoy many a wins all thanks to being a decent human being who shows respect to fellow players.

1 Like

Pretty similar to what League has, so I like it. League’ system is pretty efficient.

1 Like