Reporting System

We all know the reporting system doesn’t function like it should, unless you get mass reported within a specific time you could literally get away with harassment on such a extreme level leaving your allies depressed with suicidal thoughts and Blizzard still wouldn’t lift a finger unless you could find 5-20 players to report said person. I came across this one player who really got under my skin and needed to be reported. We were in a winning game and he actively hindered our progress by repeatedly getting himself killed, actively staying away from team fights, killing merc camps and leaving them uncaptured so the enemy may get to them. As well as insulting the group a few times through out the match. If I could i would list the persons name here but i’d rather not be account silenced for breaking the Code of conduct.

Knowing that the report system is extremely flawed i went to try to submit a ticket with the match recorded for which ever GM got to see it. But no matter what catagory i picked from in-game issues, to account, to technical, there was no way to put in a ticket through with HOTS, i would have to send a ticket to the wow team just to actually get a ticket in and i know that wont work. Is there anyway possible to meet out judgement for people who actively ruin the game by feeding and such cause this is just completely different from up right leaving the game.

Also to note: Map was blackheart bay, the accused was a healer (tyranda), and it was a tight match even with our healer doing what he did. So it would of been a win if the healer played as normal.

1 Like

Accounts are free, so punishments mean little.
Whether the system worked or not, accounts being free is awful for it.

:frowning: well what do you think Blizzard could do to help with the toxic parts of the community? IP ban? Ban specific computer ID?

Honestly? Not much. For a paltry sum people can have VPNs which annuls this problem. There’s not much they can do, and a sad byproduct is just people who are awful.

You know? I picked up League again recently and have had much better luck with players there. In HotS, we’ve backslid to people being fussy and toxic about bot games.

League is so unfun and so harsh for new players, smite and hots is the only moba games i really like and hots has all my fav characters :frowning:

I agree, Smite is especially neat these days as they get into more and more out-there religions and pantheons.

Still, all you can really do is report, leave a full detail in that report, and then take a five minute break to make sure if you requeue, it’s not with them.

I don’t think any one company has a good answer to this, although Smite’s slow progress to buy characters might be an example of soft dissuasion.

i bought like a $30 special deal and have all heroes free well at least on the xbox >_>

Yeah I did that too like six actual years ago and I still get to benefit from it.

Unfortunately for MOBAs, not just HotS, the free accounts are a large part of their successes. That means for toxic players, the recourse for being punished is to just make a new account. Sadly, this does mean reporting really only can accomplish so much.

it sucks that you had such a sophisticated game thrower, but nobody is ever going to get banned from a single game. it’s just not going to happen, outside of maybe IRL death threats.

what they have now is the best system. you don’t get punished unless you get a certain number of reports in a certain relatively short time frame. We don’t know the specifics, but that’s the gist of it. so nobody gets banned by getting 10 reports a month, or 120 reports a year. people who get banned are the ones who get 120 reports in a week. something to that effect.

the reason why this is the best is because it allows for everyone to have a bad day or to get reported by a malicious team of 4 a couple times without getting banned. and it captures MOST of the toxic people, because most toxic people just can’t help themselves, and will no doubt meet your threshold number of reports. what this threshold is is obviously very important, it could even be a trade secret figured out by a host of complicated algorithms.

The toxic people who don’t get banned are a minority of sociopaths who like to break the rules and be toxic, but also have enough self control not to do it very often. OR, they build up a complex array of alt accounts, shifting between them constantly. I see that a lot, people with 10 accounts, shifting around. And the accounts all have similar names. What can be done about these devious trolls? It’s hard to figure out. Maybe someday we will crack the riddle…

1 Like

Computers have identification codes, so maybe temporary bans with accounts associated with that computer code? So if you want to play the alt game you better have more than 1 computer which is a lot harder to do.

LOL
I got banned (for 1 month) for “abusive chat” with my chat desactivated for more than 2 months (so no writing at all, not even in draft) .
I opened a ticket but nobody cared.
Best system… haha !!

Your reason is false.
Because you just need to play much to get much report. It doesnt matter if you talk or not.
You play 10-20 games per days, you get as many report.
You just need one action in game to get someone to report you.

Defending a keep after having pinged.
Being late 2 sec because you were on the other side of the map.
Pinging back lvl 9 vs lvl 10
Etc… etc… etc…

If you play 2 games per day the cumulative reports won’t be enough to ban/silence you, but if you play more than 15 it will be enough on the long term.

Reporting system is worst I have ever seen, A system that only bases actions on numbers of reports and fails to even investigate them is gonna never work.

People shouldn’t write as if they know definitively how the report system works, because Blizzard has never told us. They never will tell us for the very good reason that people would then abuse the system with ease.

It seems to be volume reporting based over a certain period of games, but we don’t know. It is clear that more people are banned for chat offenses than for AFK or other categories, so you could have different criteria for different categories.

Yes you get people who try to circumvent it, but outside of death threats, I don’t think someone should be banned because they said one wrong thing. This is from someone who rarely uses chat and has had all kinds of abuse come my way over the years.

In the heyday of HOTS they had few GM’s to deal with tickets, so I’m very doubtful you will get personal attention now due to budget cuts.

What we do know is they have said they use “machine learning” to judge abusive chat, so that can’t be a good thing.

Either way its a bad system. They want the game to die and that is ok. I had fun while it lasted.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if they really want the game to die. From personal experience I have friends who left the game because of the report system.

Well they continue to leave the report system as it is, Ranked is a dumpster fire and still isnt being fixed. Bots and leavers are still being ignored so I dunno whawt else is left ya know.

1 Like

Ranked is a dumpster fire. I play a lot and literally 8/10 games I recently played had at least a troll in every single game. Someone that purposely throws, is toxic on purpose to cause strife, or they go afk and cause a loss. Reporting does nothing. It’s terrible. In bronze they have nothing to lose so they do what they want. If Blizzard cares about this game at all, they will fix this issue. Reporting is crap because it hurts active players more than it hurts trolls. They never verify reports for validity. I’ve been banned for AFK and haven’t been afk even once.

Suggestion - have GMs monitor games throughout the day. If they find a toxic player ban for for a day or two and give a warning.