Reporting does nothing - please fix this

I get the question all the time after a game:
Do you feel like reporting does anything?
The answer is always a resounding no
because it does nothing.
People will afk and actually say “report me, it wont matter”
I do report them…
and guess what…
IT DOESN’T MATTER
because blizzard doesn’t actually do anything with the reports.

PLEASE blizzard, if everyone on a team reports someone as afk - ban them for a day or 2.
Especially if they say in chat “reporting doesn’t do anything”

3 Likes

All the people that would come here and complain about silences/bans seems to indicate that reporting does something, but since Blizzard has always had a policy of not commenting on whether they took action on someone’s account because of your report, I don’t see the purpose of this survey question. We the players have no insight into whether the reporting system is working or not so we can’t really give educated feedback on it.

The whole post-survey question system has always seemed very questionable to me as far as a useful tool for Blizzard. What they are (possibly unwittingly) measuring is just mood after the game (win = higher scored answers, lose = lower scored answers) than what the question is actually asking.

And for some of the questions, I Just don’t understand how any answer is useful to Blizz. If I rate how well our team worked together as a 1 out of 5, what can Blizz do about that?

I’d like to hear what kind of actions they take based on the feedback they’ve gotten since introducing this system. I’d have a lot more confidence and reason to give as accurate an answer as I can if they could demonstrate how it helps them.

1 Like

You didn’t notice longer queue times?

3 Likes

No, they implemented an email system that lets you know if they acted on your report.
No other details are given, just that there was action.

And then the player gets on another account and trolls your HL match.
Congratulations. Now you know you did something. You should feel proud OP.

I do believe the surveys help - as someone interested on all big-data things… all the information and feedback from those surveys goes to a database; so it’s there ready to be checked… and likely speaking by itself.

I agree with you that when those ‘innocent-poor-souls-never-harmed-anyone-I-only-insulted-once’ come here complaining that they were banned after X, Y and Z… it’s only confirmation that the report system DOES the work.

However, you are completely right that as we don’t have any feedback and/or reference from Blizz whether using the reporting system is doing something… it’s hard to trust a ‘ghost’ mechanism that has an important role in this game.

At this point… any dev or analyst querying that DB must get a big ‘NO, we think it doesn’t work’ … that has to be pretty much the answer they get…

How… or whether Blizz uses that information is where we have no visibility… and may be we shouldn’t… but we def need to witness more actions.

1 Like

Fair enough. I haven’t reported anyone in awhile.

It’s very possible a survey system could help but I think there needs to be evidence shown to us people taking the surveys that they have value. Otherwise, as I said, I think what they have is a post-game mood indicator rather than legitimate feedback to the questions.

And I don’t necessarily mean about the reporting feature, there’s several different survey questions that seem like they have questionable value. “Did you enjoy the last match?” A lot of the time this is probably being answered depending on whether the person won or not. But even then it’s possible that someone won and didn’t have fun or didn’t win and but still did. So what conclusions could someone analyzing the data draw from how someone answers that question? There’s many factors that go into whether you had fun in a given match. Maybe you don’t like that map, maybe you don’t like certain heroes you had to face, or the players playing them. Without being able to break these reasons out, the general answer to the question seems useless.

This is one of those things I wish they’d discuss with the community more often.

2 Likes

Hey tell us how you enjoy the game so much when the player base drops even more so and the queues get up to 2 hours.

Reports do work, but there is a certain amount of tolerance in it.
It’s kind of required.

People occasionally lose the internet connection. It should be fine.
People can get upset during problematic loss streaks. Going on a rampage isn’t the correct answer, but happens. In real life, if people mess up your game, you can handle it. You have a coach, timeouts, replacements. From your perspective, you’re encountering an idiot.
Also, there are incorrect reports. There was a topic a couple days ago, someone claiming to report 300 people for not being at a lower skill level. Another topic where someone advised a new Abathur on how to play, turns out it was about 70 on Aba.

I assume Blizzard calculated the numbers and decided for an optimum. If too many reports are acted upon, the game might lose all players.

The game already lost its players.

1 Like

I made a post somewhat similar to this a while ago. I’m sure that the reports are doing something, we just need confirmation that it actually is. At this point, I genuinely feel like report people is pointless. Alas, I do it anyways out of a tiny hope that the system actually works

Reporting does do something it made me stop spending money

3 Likes

So the winners for reports doing something we have the following so far:

1. trolls / griefers
  2. smurfs or combo of trolls/smurfs
  3. game losing players
  4. people not spending money
  5. Oh yea and a bunch of really bad players who got boosted in their absence.

Reports definitely do something.

It’s been said 1000 times.

Reports do nothing to the people that actually need removing from the game. If it did we wouldn’t have such obvious trash in every single game.

It only penalizes anyone that plays enough to get flagged and banned by the troll report spammers. That is all.

2 Likes