Remove Unranked, tweak QM

Sure, but people know more than one hero. We also know that due to the map pool, some heroes will have an easier time on any given game. People really enjoy being impactful and contributing positively to their team.

People play more than one match/hero each session. There’s a good chance you will play all 3 of the heroes you set up throughout the session, in maps that actually suit them.

When people queue up the really niche heroes, they know there is a chance 10 players will have a bad time, because it doesn’t match the map or ally comp.

I personally don’t see this destroying QM. It will give players a chance to improve their match quality. The “just ready up whatever” worked when there were 4 maps and 40 heroes. We have triple the maps, double the heroes now - it’s fair to need triple the options to keep quality of matches up.

How does this matter in anything? (Also, not everyone, did you ever see OTPs?)

Ppl can also enjoy having a harder time, testing limits, learning.
Or just the ability to play The Hero, the One, they feel to play atm, without any kind of restrictions or pressure from others cuz “meta comps, dude”.

But I want to play them “today”. Not X times through the years. I want to play them as many times as I want.
That’s what QM is for.

QM is not about the illusion of match quality.
“Meta comps” =/= match quality. You can have perfect comps in Bronze and it still won’t be “quality”.
Quality comes with skill. Not with comps.

Because you ignore the common desire in humans. To just play the things they like. To have “freedom”.

Even the ocmplainers… They don’t do anything for “quality”. They just want to get it. They want others to fulfil their dreams.

1 Like

Players will play more than one game “today.” There’s a good chance the map will suit your preference at least once in your daily play time.

If you just want to be that one hero, then only pick one hero. I’m fine with that.

(Removed a paragraph here because it isn’t very civil or needed to the conversation.)

Quality in this regard comes with feeling like your hero choice contributes to the team.

Since I’ve come back to playing, the vast majority of my QM games have been with tank/healer. I do that to improve the matches. I still end up with 4 mages and Kharazim (myself) on immortals.

On the Singapore server it’s nearly always a 3-5 minute queue at all hours for QM. When in the match, there’s a higher chance you face at least a 3 man pre-made, on a map where your hero is very disadvantaged. It goes beyond “being a challenge” into “well, let’s practice skill shots and think about which hero I’ll try next match…” I have tried changing preferred server to North America - I get a fast queue but 200ms lag - it’s not fair for my allies to have to deal with that. It isn’t their fault I’m halfway around the world.

Wait, I think I had another brainwave -

So you put 3 heroes in your bubbles - a primary, and two “expansions.” If the queue pops very early, you go with your primaries, just like live is now.

If the queue takes longer (and has to expand search criteria), you also get the option of expanding your hero selections by two. The system knows you may have a rough game coming up, maybe this is an option to buffer it.

I think more than drafting I would love an option to choose from:

1. Totally random composition of the team (like now)
  2. Tank + Healer + flex + 2 Dps (You gotta wait more until all roles are filled)
  3. whatever other popular options and same, you don’t mind waiting a bit more until all roles are fulfilled.

I like QM the way it is, I hate drafting and prefer the randomness of QM.

Should I start a thread and say take away UD because I don’t like it? I can simply not Q for UD cause I don’t like it.

Sounds like QM is the more popular mode, that you don’t have to Q for if you don’t like it.

3 Likes

QM is fantastic and my to-go mode every day.

But I can feel them when you get 5 dps teams and stuff all the time, it’s boring.

I think the randomness is good, but the option to choose a totally random composition and faster queues like now, or waiting a bit more without drafting, but some desirable roles filled by random heroes who fit in those roles (aka Tank/healer/flex/dps/dps)

That definitely wouldn’t destroy qm and would improve it for some of us.

If I want to play thirty consecutive matches as Nova, I have full power to play thirty consecutive matches as Nova without ruining anyone’s game. There’s no impetus for me to pick tank or healer, because the game either gives me one or it doesn’t. That’s the magic of Quick Match.

If you take that away from Quick Match, it will not “fix UD”. It will not encourage people to try Storm League. All that will do is make people quit. I know I would throw the game out in heartbeat if Quick Match was changed or removed.

4 Likes