Reduced CPU Power Detected

Yeah I don’t intend to call the person who said it a liar, but I have to admit I’m incredibly skeptical. This error was reported on day one, finished assembly of my PC on 7/7 and have seen this error with every bios including the original May bios my CH8 shipped with.

I think it’s an algorithm issue related to how to gams is detecting CPU usage and I’m uncertain how a bios or chipset driver would alter that.

It’d be nice if we just got an in game option to ignore error messages.

More likely it is detecting the behaviour of Precision Boost 2 as CPU throttling. Precision Boost 2 works more like a modern GPU boost algorithm rather than the traditional CPU like ones Intel and AMD have used before.

A traditional CPU boost algorithm raises the core multiplier up to some maximum boost amount. This maximum is determined by the number of active cores and the type of workload (AVX has lower maximum than non-AVX). A GPU boost algorithm raises frequency based on current and power usage with some maximum frequency. In the case of Zen2 each core has its own maximum frequency and operates separately. Traditionally power or current limits were a sign of throttling, e.g. on a laptop running on battery.

Sure, my point in all of this from the beginning is that this isn’t something AMD can fix I don’t think, this isn’t like the Destiny 2 issue, it’s a nuisance fault.

I find it nearly impossible to believe they can’t simply disable the fault, and honestly I’m not so certain as to why this game cares to even report it, I’ve played 30+ different games since the launch of Ryzen 3000 and only here in Heroes do I have any CPU “problems.”

The error was added to help diagnose performance bottlenecks and problems when running Heroes of the Storm. For example if you were running an Intel laptop and get “Reduced CPU power detected” with abysmal frame rate that usually means that your battery, your power profile or your power connection are limiting CPU performance. There are many such detectors for faults like I/O speed, memory availability, network connection, e.t.c.

The problem appears to be the way the detector is implemented. Something about AMD Zen2 is causing a false positive for reduced CPU power detected when there is no reason to show it. Yes my 3900X is not even boosting to max when playing HotS, but that is because my GPU is bottlenecking performance at 160 FPS so the CPU does not even need to run past 3GHz on average.

I am hoping next major patch will solve this, as AMD should have published their performance measurement APIs which could more accurately detect a reduced performance state for Zen2 processors.

I really hope this gets fixed soon, haven’t had much motivation to play because of it.

That is kind of a weak excuse. The warning graphic is tiny and already way outside the prime viewing area where most of your attention is focused. I often forget it is even there, even if it is slightly annoying when I do remember.

I’m having the same issue on a ryzen 3600x

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/dfyrf4/reduced_cpu_power_detected/ They’re saying it will be fixed in the next major patch.

This will likely tie in with the Winter event.

any updates if this is going to be fixed as still happening ?

Next major patch… Which is either the one containing Deathwing or the one containing the winter content.