QM gives one side 3 warriors, why?

There’s a lot of pieces in this puzzle that you don’t understand that make or break that equation that aren’t just pure “will this composition work”.

People don’t want a middle ground. They want 30 second queues.

People like you who want drafts but refuse, ardently, to ever play any draft modes, are an objective minority and QM will not be designed around those standards. Even in your humble scenario, it’s just going to be another set of complaints and problems with no actual objective improvement.

What you want is really a separate queue and I think at this point it’ll probably make it in, since it would be easy and would satisfy two demographics.

This is true. It’s a classic case of wanting their cake and eating it too. They obviously wan to to pick whatever hero they want but also want everyone else to magically pick the heroes that complement their choice.

Why does people expect all this perfect match making in quick match. its QUICK match. Aka you are looking for a fast match meaning you should have little expectations.

You want a proper comp then you got unranked or ranked to go play. I never understand why so many people come on here bashing qm when it does what its supposed to do.

1 Like

is nova using her saber from covert ops now?
pretty sure she’s ranged.

Also, not sure how Abathur being melee really counts.

I wanted 4. 3 is not enough.

the OP has factually at minimum 1 wrong statements in their OP.
:man_facepalming:

I don’t get why people don’t seem to get this.
Most if not everyone on the forum here would like that.

But the majority of the QM playerbase could not stand it. :frowning:

go write your own matchmaker.

Factually speaking, fixing it in a manner that doesn’t negatively impact a large amount of people who play QM is not easy or simple. END OF DISCUSSION.

And again, remember the biggest issue is there is a massive amount of players who just care about queue times. Game quality be damned.

and like everyone has said.
The playerbase overall sadly is not.

They made the queue better in some ways similar/better than what you want.

Guess what, they rolled it back because the greater community hated it.

Do some research.

Becasue people dont want to waste 20 min of thier time playing a complete stomp game were they have zero chance of winning cause matchmaking gives one team everything while other team has nothing.

you never been on the receiving end of aba/nova combo in a 5 assassin match i take it when your whole team irange and 1 murky

As someone who spent hundreds of games playing Murky from 2015 to 2017, I probably did.

but “nova+aba” isn’t a combo. Well, it isn’t more of a combo than generic hero + Aba.

The fact is both teams had 1 melee hero. And the specific heroes is unfortunate, but "Murky as only frontline against “Nova/Butcher/Aba + 2 ranged assassins” is an utterly silly way of writing things.

It strongly implies that Nova and Abathur are meaningfully melee characters.

Ultimately, the “problem” here was butcher v murky in an 8 assassin game.

you are playing dumb when you knew what i ment and i’m not in the mood to argue about it just because you have free time on your hands sooo good day

I actually had no idea what you mean with nova being there.

If you said Butcher+Aba, that makes sense.
But Nova+Aba is nothing.

nova with anti armor bullet pretty much 1shots murky till about level 14-16 or so
add in aba murky is constantly free meat for butcher

your team has 4 range and butcher just charging in while your team is mow down 5v4
you cant split push effectively because of aba

its a miserable unenjoyable match and i had it happen bout 5 times in 2 weeks where ‘’ i’’ murky was the sole frontline in a team of 5 assassins it dont have to be nova samuro/zeratul or literally anyone

just yesterday i was playing murky and i fought zarya/samuro/tracer/aba/kt

and i was only melee as murky again we lost and maybe i should just play draft instead of making myself hate this game tbh

But that is the design of the qm mode. Its just a slot machine and shouldnt have any expectations. Ranked would be the better fit for those who want to play to win.

So again, people wont wait more than 30 seconds, but they have no problem wasting 20 minutes on a stomp-fest? Got it.

I am not asking for draft quality matches, I am asking for common sense. If there are 2 tanks on one side…(wait for it)… put 2 tanks on the other side! I can see how that complex logic would be impossible to code.

And who is going to complain about a more balanced matchup? I mean… give that scenario. The only thing you possible have as a rebuttal is excruciating wait times which is a complete canard.

There is a vocal minority on this forum, I’d be hesitant about proclaiming what “the community” hates. The very best players and the very worst (you know, the tails of a bell-shaped curve) will be affected more because there are fewer of them. But being loud or snarky does not a majority make.

I am not going to spend hours researching old posts in this to find out people with thousands of posts doesn’t like something. I already knew that. :slight_smile:

implimenting the new composition tightened QM matchmaking:

taking away a lot of it:

Now, why would an increase in queue times not be an acceptable trade off, unless it was making players engage less with the game.

Engagement is a difficult metric to track, but it is the most important metric for F2P games.

Why do you think they loosened it?

1. they just wanted shorter queues because “haha make your qm experience bad”
  2. people were playing less because of longer QM queues.

You mean the guy who would prefer they bring back this stricter system and it’s longer queues?

:roll_eyes:

Took about, well, 13 minutes of research BTW. How arduous.

Why don’t they do it, you ask? Not because it led to lower player engagement, but because for the last 2 years people come on this forum and love to declare HotS either dying or already dead. Longer queue times just adds fuel to that fire. Short queue times just make the game feel more popular, at the expense of match quality.

I have multiple friends from RL and who I met playing HotS who stopped playing because of queue times. One of them quit altogether (they were already sceptical after Activision-Blizzard’s announcement). The other came back for about two months and Imperius launched before leaving because they got bored with Imperius.

Because Queue times were like, at least for me, like, an extra 30 seconds. Which was terrific!

So in December 2018, the plan was to look at people two years in the future, and say “well, they’re sticking around, so we’ll lower match queue times”.

Here are forum response’s from people in the thread:
I kept out really long responses, as well as stuff about ranked changes. As well as posts that didn’t discuss their experiences on new/old QM at the time

okay, well, i’m halfway through, and i’m done.

But if you bother to read this–and i’m sure you will–you can see that people WERE NOT HAPPY.

Because it was better before. Losing Call of the Nexus enforced matchmaking was not what the forum wanted. At least not to the degree that it was loosened. And they never really changed much after that. So clearly they were satisficed with the results that their real data showed them.

I dunno man. Reading most of those quotes you posted looks like the primary complaint is match quality and stomps being a waste time. Which is exactly what i am saying.

If the last mmr change increased the wait times without increasing the match quality… then i hope it got rolled back. A good idea poorly implemented does not negate the good idea.

I’m not going to dissect through who said what, but some of this back and forth is the same thing that gets repeated in these topics, and they tend to ignore the same issues.

1. The “30 second wait” isn’t the extent of the issue. Some people weren’t getting matched at all, which did reinforce the concern of “dead game”.
  2. Enforcing specific roles, but not having enough players to fill those roles means there’s going to be a point where there’s not enough supply for the demand. If the matching system is reliant on a supply that doesn’t exist, then it creates problem for the demand.
  3. Some players that cater to the “options” (slider bar) demand are also the sort of players that pick Glass Canon Li-ming into Pyroblast Kael’thas. People like the idea of having “options” but they tend to not use them correctly, and when things don’t work out, they don’t accept personal accountability for their choices.
  1. Any flaw of a match tends to be placed on “The system”. In the linked threads, there are examples of players outright blaming the metrics for their loss. “Oh both sides had a tank, but our tank was bad” And that’s part of the consequence of not having enough of something; people may try to fill, but the complaint remain because people don’t make distinctions between the conscientious choice of others, and an automated system.
  2. Many (most?) people have such an aversion to the word “consequence” that they assume it has to be bad, and try to hide/shift any notion of “consequence” as they can. This creates a defect in their experience-to-complaint process where they complaint cause with correlation, blame anything else they can, and otherwise assume anything that doesn’t reward their effects is part of an effectual conspiracy to personally afflict them.

Part of the issue of people ignoring the actual limitations or consequences of “choice” is they then try to find “solutions” to the wrong problem. When they can’t get the exact thing they demand, they look for a ‘middle ground’ that isn’t actually between the points of concern because they really weren’t noticing which point is what.

The main function of the concern is “I don’t have what I want”, but that tends to come veiled through simpler complaints that don’t really care about anyone else but themselves, so they dehumanize any other variation that isn’t instant gratification.

That’s part of why all these complaints are on “the system” on not on the players. People don’t fault low pick choices, lack of incentive in their ‘wanted’ mode, that “stomps” stem from player performance, or are a consequence of bad talent choices, observant play, or regulating the experience to being a “waste” due to their own efforts.

This is right.
Also do not expect anything out of QM when all you play is ranged assassins.
You are dime a dozen and the other roles aren’t, you get matches with what queues.