[PTR] Xal'atath feedback

UPDATE: I am aware that the PTR has been updated today (Sep 23), and some of the “clunky” and “underwhelming” aspects have been significantly improved. I am very happy about that! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:


I played Xal’atath vs bots on PTR multiple evenings in a row.

First of all, I’d like to thank Blizzard and the HotS dev team specifically for reviving the game in the traditional sense. Xal’atath will be an amazing addition to the hero roaster. That being said, I’ll focus this feedback on exclusively negative aspects of my Xal’atath experience, as I believe they are the ones that matter in practice.


Gameplay.

General.

In her current PTR state, Xal’atath feels considerably unresponsive (aka “clunky”) in her gameplay. This ultimately comes down to the slow nature of her abilities and bad feedback for the player. I’ll elaborate on this more while talking about each individual ability.

Abilities.

Void Volley (D) — this is easily the most frustrating of all Xal’atath abilities. The frustration comes from a number of factors:

  1. Extremely slow startup. The trait has a brief casting time, and, once cast, has a considerably slow projectile startup animation.
  2. Lack of visual indicator. The point on the ground where the trait will be firing to is not marked in any way. This makes it difficult to understand in the heat of the moment whether the trait has been cast or cancelled.
  3. Mythic Quest being tied up to the trait. The aforementioned two factors makes the trait feel unreliable and make Xal’atath to expose herself to more danger than necessary. This, in turn, leads to an unnecessarily increased difficulty in completing even the first step of her quest.

Shadow Mark (Q) — this ability is supposed to have an entire build around it, based on the talents. However, I am forced to discard this build entirely due to how extremely slow the projectile is. I played against bots, and I understand that bots are programmed to dodge projectiles. However, it gives a good idea on how difficult it is to hit. And, on top of that, there’s a center hit requirement to mark someone. A center hit requirement… on a projectile that’s impossible to hit in its entirety.

Dark Heart Ritual (W) — this is, in my opinion, her most useful ability so far, especially with the lvl 1 talent for it (that increases its size tremendously). The ability is great for PvE, has great talents, and can defend the channeling objectives like Altars or Tributes for considerable time.

Void Step (E) — this is an amazing idea for a unique mobility option. However, it has two major and, may I say, artificially created downsides:

  1. It requires a set target that (apparently) cannot be set or changed during the blinks.
  2. It disables all abilities, leaving only a basic attack option until the ability is complete or cancelled. This is particularly crippling to the whole concept of ranged assassin. I recommend considering enabling all basic abilities, trait, and even the Void Eruption ultimate cast (pausing the blinks for the channel duration). In the worst case scenario, please let us at least cast her trait during the blinks! An assassin is supposed to be all about “in and out”.

Void Eruption (R1) — great concept for her ultimate ability, but it slightly lacks in its current execution. While it’s great to be able to blind and damage while channeling the ability, its usage is currently very situational and is likely to result with everyone just running out of range. Possible improvements would be increasing the projectile speed or giving an ability to detonate it at will.

I understand that the ability is literally a giant blue ball, but that should be no excuse for blue-balling a player. :smiley: Lvl 20 upgrade is awesome though!

Void Convergence (R2) — another great concept for her ultimate ability, and it’s good as it is, except for one detail: Void Minions attack marked heroes, but not marked monsters, which makes this ability a lot more awkward in boss fights than it needs to be.


Bugs.

Ultimates disappear.

Both her ultimate abilities can simply fail to appear on the map despite triggering a full cooldown. Apparently it’s related to the terrain (they get blocked by it), but I have the same bug happen to me multiple times out in the open as well (though it’s a lot more rare).

Attack speed bug.

Her “Relentless Whispers” lvl-16 talent gives her tremendously increased attack speed for the duration of her E. However, if her E is interrupted by any means, she keeps the increased attack speed until she uses E again.

Enemy Xal’atath’s Q.

Xal’atath’s Q moves not only her W, but the enemy Xal’atath’s W as well. I did not encounter this bug myself (bots don’t seem to play Xal’atath), but I saw it in content creator’s videos.

Silence area.

I don’t know whether this is intentional or a bug, but her triangular silence area (from her lvl-7 “Silence of the Lamb” talent) is not aligned with the triangle of her E.

Heartseeker skin’s visual bug.

Only when wearing the “Twilight Xal’atath” skin — on the MVP screen, the default void orbs on Xal’atath’s shoulders are displayed.


Skins.

I personally really like her “Twilight Xal’atath” skin. However, it would be a very nice touch if the skin also changed the hue of all her abilities from blue to the same red-orange hue of her inner cloak.

Please consider.

I really appreciate this post.

I would like to add my opinion in some of the areas.

Void Volley (D): I think if you cast it beyond its max range, it should just cast at the point of max range. This would make it way, way less of a problem. I’ve practiced it a lot, so I’m not overly concerned if this is not changed; It’s good enough for now.

Shadow Mark (Q): You are right. Bots are incredibly aware of projectiles and it’s hard to evaluate it. So I have been playing Bright Wing pvp to practice. The speed, range, and area are about the same, if not identical. I have complained about 20 center hits being very unreachable. The talent does say “Adept” so I have mixed feelings. Its a risk. The reward is now good enough to take that risk. Even if you only get to 12-15 lands the scaled reward is very valuable. I feel as though they have fixed this issue.

Void Step (E): Casting anything other than the autos during this might make it insanely over powered. I like your thinking here but if its alowed to have whatever you want while you teleport I feel that would be too much. I would like to see it auto-target ANY first and closest target (preferring Heros) if you do not have a target when you first cast it. As for the Triangle. Look at the icon of the ability. I am 99.99% sure that the reverse shaped triangle for the silence is intentional. It already makes a very big visual of where you are about to teleport with it backwards. Having it exactly will make this even easier for enemies to target you as you land at the next location.

Void Eruption (R1): You are able to spin it around and get damage while its building up and if you see the enemies running out of range, you can already “detonate at will” By launching it early. You want them to run away a certain distance, then you launch when you believe they will be in the detonation area. The final detonation part is the skill shot portion and should not be changed. I believe it does give a bit of a push, as Blackhole does? I could be wrong.

Again, this is just my take, and I really appreciated your comments here. It got me thinking about it a lot, and I don’t pretend that my opinion is superior to yours in any way.

Thank you for your appreciation.

I agree with this, it would, indeed, make her trait feel more responsive. But at least now that it’s possible to cast it during E, that aspect might be compensated by this fact.

I believe that we will not truly know this until she goes live. However, since they have added this on PTR currently, I already tested it against bots and I don’t see this being strong at all. The most important ability to cast during her E is her D. Against real players, her Q might also be the case, but I can’t truly test this against bots.

My opinion — it doesn’t feel OP at all. I believe that it serves to offer options rather than overload her with power. The latter is what he E talent combo (lvl 16 + lvl 20) did in the previous patch, but that is no more either (due to the “Relentless Whispers” talent nerf and the +30% damage increase cap).


Sorry I didn’t address all the points you made. I just believe them to be opinions for the most part, and everyone is free to express their opinion.

I’m just happy to take part in getting to testing the first new hero in 6+ years thoroughly be she goes live. And judging from how the current PTR is reacting? The devs are definitely listening to the community, which is priceless nowadays! :smiley:

Do we know if the enemy team seeing the triangle pattern of void step is intentional?

Also it’s hard to see whose void heart is pulsing the damage. Usually you can see red if it’s enemy. They both just look purple.

Fanhots posted a YouTube video called:
Xal’atath - BIG BALLIN TIME

At 1:15 both Xals cast void heart near each other. I can’t tell them apart (besides knowing who cast them where). They look the same to both teams, so you can’t be sure you’re not standing in their teams or yours.

I’m almost certain that a psyonic storm would have a red outline from an enemy. I feel like this is an important bug to fix.

As far as displaying the cast pattern of void step to the enemy. If that’s intentional then that’s fine and I can learn to live with that but if we can not display the location you are about to be I would prefer that. Maybe use a compromise and have a center point of the triangle display so they can see you are mid cast of the ability so they can run and hide without giving them a giant target reticle in one of the most interruptible abilities in the game.

I tried to play custom and the trial “try” with Xal on the enemy team. Robot Xal is 100% useless. She stands around doing nothing. Occasionally she will auto but that’s it.

So pray someone doesn’t choose Xal and go afk because you don’t even get a crappy bot to help you. Insta 4v5.