Performance issue [loading assets-stuttering]

i am sure this is internet problem or Something, but how can i be sure, those bug are rarely i realy deal with it.

For me I would say Everything seems optimized, mostly I have ran everything that blizzard recommends which indeed includes winMTR and the packet loss was minimal to none (we are of course talking about a big time-span).
40-60ms tops.
No Overlays.
Drivers supposedly Up to date (from the vendor website).
Other games like overwatch and wow run well with the best being overwatch in performance naturally, same for some other games which are non-blizzard but performance of course varies from game to game.
also updated to the latest windows 10 (1809 newest release).
I played around with vsync, no difference, only managed to make it worse because vsync fixes most visual glitches that have to do with fps differences, obviously not going to invest on a g-sync monitor or anything like that, it should not be needed.

My thought is that maybe you are ignoring what we observe as an issue (its tiny and happens when something pops up like an objective or an ability sometimes, depending… its mostly random).

There are a few posts about this on the technical forums. It seems to be partly on Blizz’s end and also unintended hardware/software conflicts.

2 Likes

Try this:
" Settings> Update and Security> Windows Security > Virus and Threat Protection Settings > Real Time Protection (Toggle OFF)"
Someone suggested this but maybe its unrelated, check if it helped you.
PS:
Minky-
Can you provide Link(s) to Source(s) of this information?
This could help.

The microstutter could also be caused by your internet connection.

However, I will say this, the game SHOULD preload all assets related to the 10 heroes in the match at the loading screen instead of on demand like it currently does.

We are uncertain on how the engine currently works, that is only what blizzard should know.
However from the looks of things, do you see a delay as well when assets load in real time? Also, do assets indeed load in real time?
I bet the assets that stutter the game should be off-ram assets and not on-ram assets.
Furthermore internet is of course a possible culprit but not limited to that, the reason being is that it is one of the in-between processes that take place so if there is even a small delay in the flow it will indeed be pretty apparent.
PS: I wouldn’t really call it micro-stutter since its a brief freeze and not consistent back-to-back small freezes or anything like that.

Yes, the game will freeze during asset loads, and given that this game is as CPU intensive as it is, it makes total sense that it would freeze on asset loads.

The game practically does not use my CPU’s single cores even, its barely using any.
My ryzen 2700X should be able to handle it just fine, more than fine.
Problem is, the assets do not pre-load entirely and the engine is generally known to throw freezes when there is a network issue. Its one, the other or both.
( See Blue Post for Details: Freezez during teamfight and skillshots - #2 by Link-11638 )

The game is 100% deterministic and operating entirely on inputs alone. This means that all of the calculations are handled by the CPU alone. Your GPU won’t help you.

I did not mention anything about my GPU.
What do you mean deterministic? The game uses the CPU according to its needs, my CPU is running at 60% (Single Logical Core) meanwhile I have 8Cores-16threads.

Given the same series of inputs, the engine will produce the same output every single time.

That’s what deterministic means.

Never once is the game’s state transmitted during game play, only the inputs of all players in the match which your computer must compute every system tick.

Yes, however my System Specs should be able to handle the game.
I took the computer to the Store’s Technicians and paid for diagnostics just to be extremely sure.
I ran my own too after a while.
I am not sure what the issue could be.
However I described when it happens so according to the above information what do you think the issue is caused by?
Do you experience the same?

Yes, and the issue is caused by one of two things.

• Your internet connection
  • Disk streaming issues

Since you’re playing the game on a Solid State Drive, that leads me to assume it’s your internet.

If you run a WinMTR report in the Tech Support forums they should be able to further diagnose what the issue is. A couple of times, replacing my modem and or router fixed my issues as they degrade over time.

i think this is my internet too, do you think more internet power (like fiber) mean less problem ?

I wanted to add that while streaming from my SSD it is just less frequent but its still there while when using HDD its of course much more frequent or severe. In both cases its still there.
Hypothetically if I ran WinMTR and found no issues what could be the next thing to do ?
On the other hand if I find packet loss on some node between me and the blizzard server that is not controlled by my ISP directly what can be done?
This most likely is the case because my ISP told me that there is nothing they can do about it such and such.
The highest packet loss is 2% and the least is 0-1%, sometimes when I run it its 0% all the way.
Blizzard were unable to assist so far with that.

PS: Specifically when I first run the program it says 14% then goes down then stays down.

why i Don’t have those problem when i play league of legend ? This is not the same at all ?

To answer your previous questions, it should be able to speed up your streams for sure, I am unsure about if it would fix the problems with the game.
I have a suspicion though, did you also run WinMTR to see if you are getting any packet loss?
League of Legends does not react in the same way the blizzard games do plus their server is located on a different country.
I hate to see this as a possible workaround but trying to use a VPN might actually help with the issue, I personally have not tested this yet but noticed that packet loss became 0% all the way when I used a VPN service.
( According to this Thread’s Blue Posts it is Legitimate and Allowed to use a VPN Service granted they will be used for anything but malicious activities: Heroes of the Storm Forums )

PS:
I just realized that I was directed on the wrong region forum.

PSS:
By the way for me VPN has poven to not work and I would suspect the problem has to do with asset loading from our storage, that is the most likely culprit after internet.

1 Like

And that is your problem. For a good experience packet loss must be 0%. Games like Overwatch use a different synchronization model which is more tolerant to packet loss and unreliable packet delivery.

LoL uses the same synchronization model as Overwatch, WoW, D3, etc. HotS uses the same synchronization model as SC2, WC3, and practically every RTS game.

In LoL unreliable delivery does not hold back game progression and instead corrects over time. In HotS your client has to pause waiting for the packet to arrive because it cannot correct over time and instead would go out of sync.

Asset loading is not a big problem. It can cause the odd single frame to be dropped, but usually does not. This is because most hero assets are preloaded when the heroes spawn, long before actual gameplay. Sounds are still streamed but they do not cause a resource stall, instead playing late. That said if you run out of physical memory (HotS can use over 4GB if played a whole day) you will get bad stutter during asset loading as cached assets get paged in and out of the page file.

3 Likes

thanks for the information old man :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Wrong, blizzard support commented on that saying that this small dip should not make an impact into the game in the scale it does for me.
My ISP said there was nothing they would do about it. Then again their troubleshooting is so basic and unprofessional they would ask me to do a speedtestdotnet test to check my speeds, thats like… uh… what…

But anyway, most of the problem is with the game engine too, the synchronization issue is indeed disturbing when it happens and it happens, which is to say it happens constantly but causes issues whenever.