Official Heroes page changed

Old:

New:

9 Likes

Probably better to not read too much into it. Maybe they forgot to update the difficulty ratings but decided to downgrade the thing wholesale instead?

2 Likes

Oh thank the Nexus! Of all the things I wanted them to change, it was the hero section of the hidden HotS forums! There was simply too much information, too much original art work! So glad they copy and pasted not just new works from other games, but even used in game models for their pictures!

3 Likes

But they cant even give us the last missing avatars.

2 Likes

Yeah, the individual hero pages are also gone as well. There’s just the Leoric error 500 messsage when you try to visit them. They’re also unclickable on the new site.

https://heroesofthestorm.blizzard.com/en-us/heroes/samuro/

(I wanted to see if they’ve updated Samuro to reflect his status as Very Hard in the client, which was upgraded from Hard a while back)

1 Like

I guess it matches the game better, but there shouldn’t be much reason to drop the details pages or else.

Ideally this could be done over the weekend as a single page app. Maybe not linkable (like AltRightFrog’s example above) but otherwise keep full functionality.

No reason for them to bother too much when fansites do their job much better, hots wiki being one of them. I only wish they moved from fandom to another domain like wow wiki did recently because the website is becoming unusable without custom adblock filters.

2 Likes

Could be WIP changes that were made long ago while HotS still had more development. Something required they update the website, such as software, infrastructure or security updates. Instead of using the existing web page and then spending a lot of time fixing it, they used the WIP web page and finished it off, possibly with some functionality missing.

This is what happened with Warcraft III Reforged and StarCraft II after their development stopped. Eventually the WIP content for those games was pushed to live, with various degrees of success and a few bugs.

6 Likes

7 Likes

They’ve gradually made changes to all the older game pages. StarCraft II and StarCraft Remastered had their websites updated with a lot of things removed. It’s basic maintenance.

1 Like

90 legendary heroes from Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Overwatch are summoned to the Nexus.

Sad Viking noises.

5 Likes

No one commented on the biggest difference between the old and new.

It is alphabetical now!

5 Likes

Cassia would like to have a word with you.
(Also Sonya and Johanna. Not scrolling further. Curiously, these are all Diablo heroes.)

I think I figured, why, they are sorted by their search terms.
Johanna is Crusader, Sonya is Barbarian, Cassia is … Amazon maybe?

Gonna call her Cassia Prime.

And my standard WLK paladin ability Seal of Johanna. Having lost two crusaders recently, referencing their coffin makes sense.

I can tell you the exact reason of the change.

They didn’t want Qhira to be the first thing players see.

(I like the new picture better anyway)

can you believe it?
a change in the UI
Live an in our face

I’m so happy with this information.

It’s sorted by the internal alphabetical name - so Sonya is Barbarian, Valla is Demon Hunter, E.TC. is L90ETC, Qhira is NexusHunter, Li-Ming is Wizard, Brightwing is FaerieDragon.

The weirdest thing about this new page is that the artwork is slaphappy with sources and how they’re built - Alexstrasza, Gul’dan and Garrosh are all using artwork from WoW, and some Heroes have poorly cropped images or are grabbing the wrong layers from internal artwork, like Orphea and Hogger.

Sonya and Gazlowe also seem to be using old art, as Gazlowe has become a smoker again, and Sonya’s art features her old face.

8 Likes

Wow, I didn’t even notice all of them until you pointed some out. Talk about a rush job, haha.

Unfortunately, Tychus is smoke-free.

5 Likes

Yes, shame, no cigar for Tychus, but I welcome the return of Sonya’s wild and classic beauty.

Still waiting for Sonya’s new cosmetic line.

1 Like

Why would they change such a random thing? Why bother?
And if they didnt want to put the work to make it actually good, why change it in the first place?
The original one was waaaaaay better. It was actually satisfying going through all the heroes, now it looks like… :poop:

1 Like