Nova idea: add utility not waveclear

So she’s a sniper hero in a game where waveclear is important… (unless you pick explosive rds later)… one of the things I like about hots is the unique kits, why not make her more utility focused since adding too much waveclear or blink like escapes isn’t part of the character, and adding more burst makes her a pain like back in beta.

Complaining about burst with an Avatar of Kael who has some of the worst burst in the game. I guess at least you didn’t have KTZ but he at least takes skill.

Ideas of stuff she can have as baseline or talent given abilities. Not saying she gets all of these just spitballing on things that a sniper ghost from SC could have as a kit without being burst, waveclear, or insta escape.

EMP Grenade: deals no dmg, slows units in an an aoe and removes friendly buffs applied by basic abilities (ie: can’t remove R-buffs). Talentable to deal dmg vs shields?.. i would even consider having this replace pinning shot (ie: or make pinning shot generate an emp blast in an aoe around the target while the “shot” target still recieves dmg and applies the pinning shot debuff including any talents related to pinning shot).

Griffin Transport: Like morales medevac with less hp and only nova can enter. Gives nova somewhat more escape without something cheap like a blink. Also good for sniper theme (snipers typically relocate or are dropped behind enemy lines)

Flashbang: Grenade that deals minor damage and blinds in an aoe (gives her soft peels vs AA)

Scanner Sweep: same as sc2, useable as reveal or for scouting.

7 Likes

Huh,
For once you come up with good ideas
I don’t mind these

I had an idea a while ago for a wave clear utility ghost in the form of another hero, bringing Duran in the game as an original SC1 ghost kit.

Canister round rifle. A long range AA with splash, just like in SC1. 100% dmg to minions and mercs, reduced dmg to structures.

And the 2 ults would be Lock Down or Nuke. Lock Down would be the team fight ult, essentially a point and click long range stun.
Nuke would be the utility ult, basically the ability to call down a nuke after a long channel delay like warhead junction.

The trait would be cloak, along with the ODST style barracks drop from the SC2 single player. When traveling from the nexus, Duran can drop to any location with vision, remaining cloaked.

I really like your scanner sweep idea for an ability also.

The role Duran would fit would be a dedicated roaming split pusher, in b4 old sylvanas. If the enemy team leaves a lane empty, his role would be to punish it quickly and safely by advancing the lane quickly, using his nuke on structures, and then quickly escaping.

Weakness would be health pool, mobility, CC, and single target burst.

She’s supposed to be a pain…
I haven’t felt remotely threatened by novas burst damage even once since the rework

3 Likes

I think a good way of adding more utility but also keeping in her niche would be more armor reduction talents. Perhaps remove crippling shot, and add the talent baseline? (probably 10 armor reduction rather than 20)

Maybe she could have a talent instead called “target acquired” that makes her deal 25% extra damage to a target for a short time? Like a hunters mark that only benefits one person.

Ironically the best iteration of Nova that I really liked was when she was a split soaking monster with 30% run speed and easy AoE wave clear. I maintained a solid 70%+ win rate with her in Hero/Team League at Diamond level.

Her last major rework (and then subsequent nerfs) are the reason she sucks so much in lane and is pigeonholed into rotational ganking or being played as a typical ranged assassin on 2-lane maps.

She used to be able to do everything. I proposed the idea of giving her a baseline explosive shot in the ~25% range and making the talent just boost it up to 100%. Also give her baseline snipe stacks every 20s or so to make her less reliant on hanging out near heroes and poking for stacks, but still punishes her if she misses in a team fight. Would probably have to lower her snipe damage by ~5-8% too.

3 Likes

her nerf was unnecessary in the first place honestly. i wish if they knew what are they doing to the hero when they think of nerfing it or wait i wish if whining players to stop complaining about losing to that ( hero name ) and calling it so op rather than learning to play. these bad players resulted in every bad decision was made in this game.

1 Like

Another idea for an activate-able ability

Neural Inhibitor: reveals target for 5 seconds. Disables abilities/benefits of all quests and talents (minus lvl 10) for duration

-or-

Reveals target for 4 seconds. Every 0.5 seconds nova can cast a move command in 2 radius around the targeted hero that cannot be cancelled for 0.25 seconds.

Absolutely not.

The reveal we can work around with, especially because that actually matches thematically with Neural Inhibitors (which are sometimes used interchangeably with Psi-Screens in SC lore and are used to both control the wearer and suppress their psionic abilities like telepathy), but the ability to just turn off someone else’s talents would be insanely broken in every possible way.

I’ll just leave these here:

Have you heard of stuns? They make it so you can’t do anything… 4 second of no talents is not game breaking

I just think her escape needs to be 1 second not 0.5 seconds

There are talents that work with being stunned. You get a ton of armor or even CC reduction at some points. That’s the problem with an idea like that: the counterplay is pretty much not there. It’s gamebreaking.

Not to mention you wouldn’t even be able to cleanse that because it’s not even legitimate CC.

1 Like

HAH! What a great joke! I’ll have to save that one for later, right next to the quotes of Tracer mains asking for release nerfs to be reverted!

In all seriousness, no, never in HotS should an ability remove talents on the simple foundation of how many bugs that could cause, remember that TLV’s abilities for QWE are all learned from talents, if you turn off a quest stacker’s talents does it reset quest progress?
Will you complete quests again when it ends?
Will the annoying Quest Complete! Graphic and sound replay every single team fight due to this?
What happens to Alarak’s sadism gained from talents?
What about level 20 talents which don’t directly buff the R? Etcetera

Never.

Yeah thats the point it’s a non cc means to disable an enemy hero where you use the knowledge of their talents to disrupt them mid fight. And yes that means activateables from non 10 talents would be disabled as well as lvl 20 upgrades.

There are cc means that completely shut down a heroes ability to cast or move so an ability than only effects talents is not a game breaking as you contrarians are suggesting. It would just need the duration balanced

How are you so upset about a hypothetical change? Calm down and eat turkey

Profile pics are a representation of your waifu and husbando, not your main.

That said, your taste in waifus is interesting.

I didn’t get this memo or I would have Nova as my PFP jeez