No weather in stormleague

I only seem to get the fog one, which does mostly nothing.

iirc, someone noted setting effects to low sorta-disables themā€¦ (but I like my effects).

1 Like

i donā€™t want to lower my settings at any point so not doing that either i like weather effects to be ingame but who doesnā€™t like them can lower it in that case! my settings are very high so iā€™ll see them perfectly and soon iā€™ll have all Ultra when i manage to get my PC PARTS :rage: freaking corona delaying shipments is so annoyingggg

2 Likes

I do like this compromise. I think they need to keep it in brawl or PTR for now, though. It needs work in terms of effect on game performance. There is a noticeable decrease FPS even on low graphics settings. This directly impacts the playability of the game at the basic level. Not sure how this got through quality control.

I think the changes are unnecessary and make the game worse. RNG that canā€™t be planned for and directly impacts the outcome in a PVP/skill based game is a big issue. Seems like they are trying to make the game a very casual arcade style game that you can play for 2 min on your phone when youā€™re bored.

1 Like

Invisible heroes in unpredicted spots can be VERY game changing for those that understand how to use it. This in itself makes these changes so bad with higher player skill and understanding. Impacting the outcome of a game based on RNG and an uncontrollable effect is usually what the devs try to avoid in a PVP/skill based game.

3 Likes

This is what I donā€™t like about it. I donā€™t want too much RNG in a PVP game.

To be fair though I havenā€™t seen to much abuse of the system so far in the lower ranks except when I played Malā€™gannis in the rain and my sleep getting interrupted.

I think your title should read ā€œNo weatherā€, because it is nothing but annoying. And now, stealth for all?! A mechanic that should not exist to begin with, and everyone can have it now?!?!

To be honest, i think that the only weather mechanic that is actualy decent in general. The rest just breaks a lot of balance aspects. Being able to go fully stealth in a bush allows stronger ambushes, and can also be used by more heroes to hide their presence better.

And i think this also opens up another potential feature: a big high grass field in the middle of a map (a lane wide field). This could allow a major shortcut through the map, but has an added risk of stronger ambushes. Jurasic park in hots.

The snow is something that should have been on just 1 map only, and possible just permanently active so the particle is effectively not needed, or tied to an objective. It adds a dynamic part, but currently its too random in most maps because it goes on and off all the time, and exists on maps that shouldnt have snow in the first place.

To me this anomaly however is not positive, and i rather see it removed entirely. All the maps we currently have do not benefit from these effects. And it feels too much like the critical hit system in tf2. It can benefit the better player, but it just as much can hinder the better player because you cannot always influence when a teamfight will happen. It still benefits the better player more often, but they would have won anyway (for those that do now know, the random critical hit rate increases by dealing a lot of damage in that game. and the rate could go up to like 5x the regular rate).

I hate playing ranked and the weather hits and my computer freezes. The anomaly also sometimes gives a nice advantage in solo lane etc if you have no wave clear and now you do.

I dislike this anomaly for many reasons, RNG in ranked play is one of them. My system and connection is perfectly fine, but the lightning storm anomaly gives me severe lag spikes, which Iā€™ve never had prior to this.

What is worse, is I have to now worry about what the weather does to my teammates systems. Yesterday I had someone get disconnected in SL every time the lightning hit. He had a brand new gaming rig, or so he said and I donā€™t think he had a reason to lie. He seemed very annoyed by it. This lost us the game, the weather, not a satisfactory reason to lose.

I know this had the potential to be some fun, but please just remove it from ranked and leave it in QM or even better ARAM where a gimmick like this can just be fun and just be what it is, a gimmick.

2 Likes