Memes of the Storm

Hello, grandpa!

6 Likes

Dont say that, i will make 32 this week

2 Likes

i feel so young

3 Likes

To be fair, that’s also on Blizzard. It absolutely should be pronounced “Tir-and”. Blizz just decided “Tir-rahn-deh” sounded cooler/Tyrande was a cooler spelling.

2 Likes

Look at the average twitter/facebook message and you will realize most people dont know how to spell. Yet now they have the tools on the web to correct their spelling, but they still fail. 200 years ago they didnt have these, so the mess became even bigger.

4 Likes

Ya’ll talking about how weird English is and not a one of you mentions “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo?” I’m disappointed in you.

3 Likes

The spoken english language has been greatly influence by large groups of migrant people converging dialects into variety of takes on what select authors asserted should be the visual presentation of those words.

The "great vowel shift’ was a change in pronunciation between 1350-1700 with little directly known on the cause (possibly anti-french reactions) but the effect being a shift in how things were said in “english” populace proper.

The US, esp by colonialism, was another large collection of people will all sorts of dialects and language background that had pronunciations forced through the lexicon preferences of Noah Webster. while his book wasn’t popular in his life, the effect of having a written lexicon on language has had its influence over the generations such that reading stuff by Chaucer (14th century) using Webster’s lexicon is effectively a different language.

With the advent of the universal pronunciation alphabet being a thing now, “English” (or even just the american dialect of it) should revise how they teach the written language to have consistent pronunciation than indicates diphthongs (two-vowel sounds) with stuff like û,ü,ù,ū so reading is intuitive and referential, and not a trial & error with little by way of reliable standard.

what, cat, that, etc etc.

3 Likes

One of my favourites is the nonsense with him/his/her/hers.

“That’s his book. It is his.”

“That’s her book. It is hers.”

“That’s his book. It belongs to him.”

“That’s her book. It belongs to her.”

2 Likes

herhers

1 Like

What :laughing:???
That cant be a valid sentence !..can it ? :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Agree. Why can we just use 他 and 他的? It is much easier :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
他 for he/she/him/her
他的 for his/her/hers

I don’t get it.

This is one of the greatest statements I’ve ever read. Also, once again a top tier post by Xenterex, I appreciate it.

From German point of view, this makes perfect sense :slight_smile:

他 for “she”
You are a madman.
For those reading, 他 [ta] and 她 [ta] are the Chinese forms of “he” and “she” respectively. Then there’s also 它 [ta] for “it”. Just adding the 的 [de] makes it the possessive form.
Fun fact, before contract with the west, Chinese only had one single word for he/she/it. Only when they started trading globally, they came up with this distinction to not look like savages to their partners.
I’m sure Xenterex could write a more comprehensive essay on that…
Please let’s not go into those languages now…

3 Likes

It is. It’s the largest valid single-word sentence in the English language.

Buffalo is a place, an animal, and a slang phrase for bullying.

So:

“Buffalo buffalo (*1) Buffalo buffalo (*2) buffalo (*3), buffalo (*4) Buffalo buffalo (*5).”

=

“Buffalo from Buffalo (*1) that other buffalo from Buffalo (*2) bully (*3), bully (*4) other buffalo from Buffalo (*5).”

1 Like

Less language lessons more memes!

It really is faster with gimp than with paint. Who would have thought.

13 Likes

You were waiting for right moment, weren’t you?

5 Likes

Memes = words
Language = words
Therefore
Language = memes !
:sunglasses:

6 Likes

I threw it together for this occasion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Say it in a meme then I like

3 Likes

More memes = more jokes