Malthael hero issues

When he first released, i was actually glad his trait didnt apply to structures. From a fantasy perspective it would feel weird if a structure had a soul and malth would suck its soul away.

From a gameplay perspective it seemed like a deliberate weakness in the hero that actually made sense.

1 Like

Just played against a Master Sonya in SL as Malthael (map: Braxxis).
I admit she did force me to pick LR -which is rather rare for me-, but I could handle her in 1v1s even pre10. After that, piece of cake.

Every other bruiser is higher, with the exception of Dehaka, who seriously needs help. Sonya for example is sitting at 20.8% Maybe I should start playng her.

When you use Tormented souls while nano boosted and hitting 3+ targets. You throw so many Q’s that they can’ t kill you until it wars off. And you can move around with W as if you had a teleport. It takes a silence or other heavy CC to stop you.

Though other heroes can still poison them…

It is, but I’m wondering how much sense it makes. Since other bruisers have good siege and sustain, and still hit like a truck

I wanna see that replay.

2 Likes

You realise this is 1 out of every 5 games right?

Not sure I understand your point.

Yea, not surprised, the others are fancier and more combo oriented.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/400938109619011585/758367465511059456/2020-09-23_16.31.28_Braxis_Holdout.StormReplay

Edit: I checked HeroesProfile for this patch:
Diamond+ Malthael: 9.22% pop (higher than: Chen, Varian, Dehaka, Ragnaros, Leoric; 52.01% winrate)
Masters only: 9.94% pop (> Varian, Chen, Dehaka, Ragnaros, Leoric; 47.42% wr).

Now about the pop of Bruisers:

• Imp is (imo) still op.
  • Xul is still Xul.
  • DW, Rexxar, Artanis are niche but in that good and that niche is not rare.
  • D.va and Gaz got reworked so favour of the month, everyone wants to paly them (question how balanced they are).
  • Sonya and Thrall always safe.
  • Yrel is actually the best (imo), but also among the hardest and mostly just for high Masters, but ppl starting to catch up on the meta.

So we have some Bruisers who are really in the spotlight atm and some that needs some tuning.
I’d still consider this patch too new to draw conclusions.
(And the GladMed also havesome effects.)

What about when your ana gives you terrible nanos :stuck_out_tongue:
I tried I promise.

1 Like

Your saying that sonya is 1 out of 5 in every master game. Thats too much

Yea very true. Corrosive poison perhaps?

Once HOTS devs accept sustain tanks with high health (5 years to give multiple of those subclass of tanks) then Malthael will be appreciated.

I don’t think that explains it. Raynor is not fancy by any menas, no combos, he’s just about the simplest hero around. And he his fairly popular.

Yeah, I just noticed bronze and silver at the bottom were not unchecked on my end. Though the Varian and company are not what I would consider great bruisers. So it’s a relief that he’s above them. Like I said. I’m not saying he’s doing horribly.

Hey, the comp was bad to begin with lol.

Well, that’S not up to me I’m afraid. Popularity 26.9, pick rate 18.7. My earlier stats included silver and bronze by mistake. But She’s still doing really well.
54% WR.

I scanned 10 matches of my profile and that off a friend

I saw her 3 out of 20 matches.
2 times infernal shrines once on sky temple

Heroes are popular because they are strong. If Raynor was nerfed, he wouldn’t be used even if he was simple. Weak heroes aren’t used unless they’re ahri in LoL because she has sex appeal

1 Like

Heroes are popular because they are strong

Popularity can also come from ease of use, for example in the current patch Kael’thas has 55% popularity (across all leagues) but only 49% win ratio. Meaning he is picked or banned in more than half of all ranked games.

He is easy to get some value out of even in low MMR though, just by spamming living bombs on people. (Unlike, say, a very unpopular high win ratio hero such as Probius, who gives zero value to his team if not played by a very good Probius player)

1 Like

Just watched the show. a few things of note.

1. Using Deckard announcer while playing Malthael is blasphemy. Stop that!
  2. The sonya kept trying to max range her spear against you. So she missed a lot. (Especially doing it while you were mounted.)
  3. There was a point where you had a Last rites kill on the enemy Stukov, but you went for the KTZ instead. I assume it was called in voice. But if not, what made you switch targets?
  4. The Sonya player picked neither “Battle rage” nor “Nerves of steel. Which is what lets Sonya bait last rites, by popping shield and/or gaining health, or both. He /she went for spear cdr, despite missing the spear a lot.
  5. It seems we fight the same way, by not using our AA in rhythm with our attack speed, and abusing W repositioning.
  6. We also have similar builds, though I often pick “Mortality” at 16. And I’m not as good as you are at using “Shroud of wisdom” properly.
  7. Like it often happens to me. When your team was winning, you went bot expecting someone on your team that was already top to grab the top shrine. Which remained empty for a long time.
  8. You Q more often than I do during laning when no enemy hero is present. And I actually don’t use E for waveclear at all (Except on the zerg wave). That gank on Sonya by Tychus was clutch :slight_smile:
  9. I want the pilot Valla emoji now :frowning:

Well, needless to say it’s a small sample and can’t be expected to be representative. But how many Malthaels in those same games?

People think it’s easy. They figure they can throw some living bombs and eventually win. Just like they expect to win by using the Q key a lot on Azmodan. But it doesn’t quite work out that way.

1 Like

Same can be said of Ming, +50% popularity, 47% win rate. She is too popular compared to how hard she is to play.

Perhaps people think they can just spam calamity and orbs for free wins?

3 Likes

Remove the perhaps, and you win :slight_smile:

1. Deckard announcer is my fav. I can’t not use it ;p
  2. I guess she expected me to be bad/worse and not trying to bait her spears out?
  3. Can’t recall the situation, might check latter, but no voice, we were solos.
  4. Dunno her thought process.
  5. As Malthael you need to kite cuz your AA in duals not worth getting the enemy’s.
  6. I was thinking about Mortality that game, but the Q talent is more appealing with Die Alone.
  7. Yea, that was sad. They also took some unnecessary fights.
  8. I just wanted speed. (Or maybe sustain?)
    I also usually don’t use E either but I wanted to be safe there. I was trying to be careful so I have the whole wave worth of sustain ready.
  9. Summer :wink:

What I mean is he screwed himself and gave up an advantage he could have had over you. It made last rites a guaranteed kill on him, and made fighting that Sonya easier.

Only from lvl 16 would that make a difference and once at max.
I can use it after she was forced to activate it. She can’t keep it for an ult that kills someone who’s already dead (why I mostly pick TS. I picked LR only for the duals).