Leaver bots why are they so bad?

In all seriousness, I wonder, since there’s such a huge uptick in leavers in QM for the last year or two, why are the bots so bad?

If you play vs AI, which I used to play a lot of and sometimes still do … the bots are easy, but they’re not nearly as bad as the QM bots that leaving players convert to… Why is this? Why can’t leavers become half decent bots?? Why do we have to ping them? why can’t they just carry on playing like the vs AI ones do? It would be really helpful if they didn’t automatically convert into deadweight especially given that every 3rd game has a leaver

thanks!

the typical player is bad at the game, so if the bots were ‘less bad’, it’d be better for players to leave to improve their ‘chance’ to win.

Ai overhaul was done to use pinging as a way to ‘control’ the bot – ping to follow, unfollow to get them to retreat – so there are some perks to having an ai without necessarily being exploitatively ‘good’.

However, since players aren’t so keen on playing with ai in a similar manner, they tend to neglect the ai and reinforce that they’re ‘bad’ because it’ a lot easier to just blame something than learn how to use it.

1 Like

They were fine until the AI overhaul. Then it went downhill. But in all fairness you should put the blame on the people who leave in the first place.

1 Like

Oh I do. QM is plagued with leavers now, as you probably are aware. It’s just the bot is so useless it’s 95% going to be a loss - if the AI was more capable it would be more balanced.

They should revert back to before the “overhaul” - btw I didn’t know that happened.

Yeah, the AI overhaul really dragged the bots down. I remember they used to play semi-decently before. But then they became a joke. Perhaps it was because I’ve gotten better at the game, but just the fact that they could no longer act without any player input, and the player input was EXTREMELY limited, didn’t help.

1 Like

It was made like this because people were complaining that the bot ai was consistently wading into death, feeding the enemy team. And it was happening quite often, even in vs ai, to get blizz to give up on improving the ai, and leave em like this…

I like the current A.I better than what was before, as the A.I then was really dumb and would go off and do its own thing, get ganked, and would just make the game harder than it needed to be…and I am exclusively an A.I player. It always felt like the A.I that took over for the player was dumber than the enemy A.I.

While the current leaver A.I requires micromanaging it synergizes significantly better with players as the A.I will follow a player around until dismissed (which it will then hearth back to base) after which point it can be picked up again. Previously the A.I, if not getting thumped by the enemy team, would just wander off and do its own thing.

Or if the A.I is too much of a hassle they can stay back in the hall.

If your whole team is dead - nobody can control the AI. Yes, in some situations is better for the AI to wait for the players to respawn, but other times there ARE things on the map they can do, without feeding the enemy.
And if you are doing something (like objective), and your base needs defending, and the AI just respawned - you can’t tell it “defend the base”. You can tell it “stay AFK” or “help with objective”, but not “defend base”.
And the fact that it needs to follow you, makes it even more stupid. It doesn’t retreat when it’s low on HP. And if you’re melee and it is ranged - it will often overextend when following you. So often do I try to stay behind to cover its retreat, but it just turns back to re-engage >.<

If I remember correctly, before the changes, you could tell it to “defend here” or “retreat”, etc., which was a lot more useful than just “follow me” or “stay afk”.

1 Like