Johanna vs Diablo

Don’t forget that you can press R again to cancel the breath if you need to. There are times you can just spew fire into a choke point for a second or two to zone and slow them, then cancel it so you can do other things while they are still slowed.

1 Like

OMG , why didnt tht diablo cancel n kill tht murky then lmao,

ok if it can b cancelled, then i can take it, i m just worried abt being rooted for so long

i wil try changing my lvl7 talent too next time i play … lets see how things go

Good luck! Diablo is a really fun tank to play, even with all the changes.

1 Like

ya, i realy enjoyed the W build… being almost unkillable with all those heals, specially with the W reset on stun :smiley:
its funny how 3 enemies trying to kill me while i keep spamming W with eash stun
W Q W E W E W E W… thts how many W i can hit in 5 seconds if my Q stuns,

1 Like

Diablo is more for divy comps to jump on the backliners
or, can also be used simply for controling a specific guy like zj, sylv or kt, not especially in a dive comp.

johana is more to be annoying by delaying opponents moves, she also is here to kinda poke endlessly at melee range, and minions wave clear

overall it’s this, they can have other specific purposes with different builds

1 Like

You can go Joh on any game/map tbh. She’s just tier S tank now (has been for months even after nerfs).

Diablo you go when you want dive lock someone down, get a kill; or when you still want some lockdown but you go full W build to be more tanky and control the battle.

2 Likes

ya, thts wht i been doing, the self sustain is insane wit W resets.
can keep me in battle longer, giving more time for my assassins to do their tasks

1 Like

My suggestion would be to learn a couple more builds so you can adapt once in the match as well.

I can’t help you with Johanna, but Diablo is my most played hero. I do best with him when I correctly judge the enemy team and my own team and build accordingly.

Personally, to me your build looks a bit off. If you are taking fire talents at 1 and 7 then take lightning breath at 10. This will give you more synergy with hellfire. Take debilitating flames at 16 then also as that works best with the fire build also.

1 Like

I dont take that as it says, heroes hit are slowed by 5% , for 4 seconds.
mean one W = 5% slow… and i can cast may b 3 W without the overpowering nightmare talent…
so debilitating flames i can get to 5+5+5 = 15% … and thts still not 25% to decrease the enemy damage…
this … .or im missing on something in my calculations.

Also, overpowering nightmare synergizes with souls to flames for more healing. and hellfire fore more spell power,
n yes, i started using lightning breath, i didnt know tht it can be cancelled once u start it (unfortunately i saw some diablos DIE while spitting fire and not just cancel n run, still dnt know why, may b they dnt know it can be cancelled too) :smiley:

I believe you can hit with multiple charges of flame stomp assuming you hit at relatively close range. Flame stomp has… 5 lines? I could be wrong but that’s how I read it. This means you can slow and reduce the damage of most of the enemy team with a good stomp or two, at the same time building your spell power for the lightning breath.

I have pretty good success with his AA build too. Life leach, malevolence, apoc, cruelty, domination. It only works against teams without too much range, but the reset on shadow charge is game changing in terms of engage range.

yeah, but on close range it might work,
have to try it out.

actually im an assassin player,
my total games are somewhat like this (in ranked play only)
support = 10;
healer = 80;
bruiser = 30;
tank = 65;
mele assassin = 35
range assassin = 1100

so u can guess.

i play tank only if i have to fill in n going in solo q,
thts why i like W build best, at least i can stay in fight longer.
n the ovepower nightmare grants me 2 extra chances to hit W.

but i will try other builds too… just to learn :slight_smile:

Johanna can definitely be played as an offensive hero, especially if you take falling sword get the level 20 upgrade.

Diablo would be best on Towers of doom, because you always have walls to destroy people on. While on Hanamura, your Q will almost never stun. Also, Johanna can take the vision camp twice as fast as Diablo, who will always get ganked if he tries to solo it.

For Johanna, I either go “Hold your ground” or “Laws of Hope” lvl 1. The reason I never take reinforce is that it’s redundant. You have a blind to deal with AA damage. That and Iron skin are enough to allow you to walk away from it if you have to.

Lvl 4 is usually “Sins exposed” because it gives you insane wave clear. I’m usually in solo Q so I can’t always count on a proper draft. The rest is situational.

On Diablo, Lvl 1 is usually Devil’s due.
Lvl 4 will be “Sacrificial soul” (10 souls and 50 armor) on maps with choke points since it provides more value than “Souls to the Flame” (If not I will take “Souls to the Flame”)

Lvl 7. I’m a Big fan of “Diabolical momentum” As lower cooldowns on all abilities make me a much bigger presence in teamfights.

Lvl 10 is situational, if say my team has a Leoric and Raynor, I would go L. Breath. You can burn ppl in entomb while providing Raynor with his “Ace in the hole” buff. I shy away from Apoc. when the enemy has a lot of passive move speed and mobility.

Lvl 13, Situational

Lvl 16, almost always “Domination” it allows plays that are otherwise impossible. And even a team that’s bad at following up on your CC cannot miss the second Q when you shove an enemy towards them.

Lvl 20. Situational.

1 Like

interesting, i shud try tht build, but im usually die more with diablo, with johanna its 1 death at tims only

Team: needs a tank
Tank: I Believe I Can Fly

1 Like

I knew I forgot to post in a thread! (Saw it from mobile and didn’t bother.)

Diablo is my second most played Hero with a 61% wr in ranked environment (no UD, but it would make it higher tbh). You know me, I’m high on ladder, so don’t laugh :smiley: but… my build is almost always AA Diablo and I think that would be better for low ranks where ppl just get surprised how much selfsustain you have. Try it out!

On when to use and which?

Diablo is an all in hard engager, so you draft him when the enemy doesn’t require many peels. On wally maps (TotSQ, ToD, BoE, DS), he’s really good, I always pick him when I need to pick out a single squishy (ppl love to pick squishies and it’s just so fun blowing them up!).

Johanna on the other hand is more about peeling, a more defensive Tank. Way better on open fields (like Hanamura) and actually has better waveclear than Dibbles (keep that in mind if your team didn’t draft enough of it).

I recently started to play SL again this season, this is currently my newest match -by “accident” with Diablo-:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/400938109619011585/676490274532229157/2020-02-10_18.53.56_Battlefield_of_Eternity.StormReplay

Check it out if you’re interested.

On Johanna build:
At 4 imo pick Eternal Retaliation especially on maps where the obj has spawns (IS, AP) or you’ll lane a lot (TotSQ) and with that, you can pick Blessed Momentum at 7 without getting oom that often (try to watch your casting tho).
And with those talents, Holy Fury is better than the Hammer at 13.

At 16, I almost always take Imposing Pressence. It makes you tankier not just by making you more durable, but also with providing extra CC. So you have W for stun, R for stun, Q for slow and IP (Key 1) for another slow.

And give a try to BbtL at 20. If you can hit your E well and your team needs extra shields, it’s basically your Indestructable but to your whole team and more often.

Well, Johanna can escape by popping her trait. Diablo needs to only dives at high HP, or if he doesn’t need his Q, and can target a minion to get away.

1 Like

Yea, diablo i always find more problems, and die more.

I will look into it, i been going W build all along

this is wht im going on 4 n 7 n 13, but i didnt try imposing presence, i always take hioly renewal. i will try it out.

well i was hitting my E well, i got several resets to throw out blessed hammer when i took tht talent, but i like holy fury more now. i wil try bbtl. I thought it only provides shields to nearby allies n not to myself, didnt bother to go try mode to check it… from what you say it seems that johanna wil also get a shield for 25%. that can be good. and it provides cd through your E too… thts nice

Johanna is a generally powerful tank and is more meta right now, so you’re good picking her pretty much any time. She does shine more on maps where waveclear is more powerful. She’s particularly valuable on maps with two close lanes that consistently need to be cleared, like Tomb of the Spider Queen and Dragon Shire.

Diablo has traditionally been more powerful on certain maps. He can absolutely dominate games on maps where teams fight in small corridors such as Cursed Hollow, Infernal Shrines, and Towers of Doom.

Everything being equal, Johanna is the safer pick more often, but Diablo can completely win the game for you, particularly if you are more skilled than your opponents and are reliably taking advantage of their mistakes in positioning.

15 Likes