Itherael, Archangel of Fate concept

Thanks!

Well, it might be too strong, I’m thinking about that as well. But I think it can be balanced with numbertweaking.

Good framework, but there are two main things I feel the need to point out.

That Q’s duration is insane. It’s an effective immunity to basic attacks and point-and-click effects, on top of a movement speed increase. I’d suggest reducing the duration to 2 seconds and increasing the speed buff so it grants more of a burst of speed.

W’s name strikes me as really wonky. Mark of Misfortune or Burdened Destiny would probably fit much better.
It will also need a hard cap on how high it can stack. I don’t think any ability should allow you to stack up -100% spell power on a target, let alone a basic ability at baseline.

I’d love to see a level 20 talent called “Crossed Threads” or “Interwoven Fates” that links two allies or enemies. 50% of the healing done to one of these allies and 50% of the damage done to one of these enemies would be dealt to the other.

2 Likes

Well he doesn’t have direct heals/shields like Tass or Aba or Zarya. So I think the Q duration is good, tho if not, simply decreasing it by 1 sec is fine for me.

And the W’s slellpower debuff is fixed 20%, only the duration can be slightly inceased with AAing, sorry if it wasn’t clear enough.

Also, yea, some names are not the best, I didn’t like the W’s name either but couldn’t think any better at that time.

Its cool and all but it’s all just buffs,debuffs, and mobility. Every character needs some kind of main damage ability to use unless they’re strictly AA (like Sam or butcher) but the kit you proposed doesn’t seem to be designed to encourage AA only.

Even Medivh, the support you’re trying model after, has a damage ability in the form of arcane rift.

3 Likes

True, but Medivh is ranged with a weak AA. He could have strong melee AA, his W want him to AA, and his Q and E can help him to stay alive and stick to his target.
But fair concerns, maybe W should be less utility and more dmg, that’s the most filler ability.
He also deals a lot if the enemy is mobile thanks to the E resets.

One last thing I forgot to mention earlier:

Itherael’s sword is not his main weapon like El’druin is for Tyrael or Solarion is for Imperius. Each angel has an artifact, his is the scroll of fate. It is possible they could have him using this in combat.

If you’ve ever seen the “Wrath” cinematic for Diablo, Itherael is showcased using a melee weapon, a sword, but keep in mind Auriel is also showcased using a melee weapon, a whip, yet in-game she fires bolts of energy from ranged for her auto attack.

All I’m saying is that it could go either way. He could be a melee hero like you proposed or he could sit from a distance and use the power of his scroll to unravel the enemies’ fates from afar.

3 Likes

Auriel has her Q and E from the Wrath animation. Slapping with her cloths and chaining someone to terrain.
But yeah, they might change him. That’s absolutely possible.
Tho his (only) known move is that cool teleporty stabby-slashy. He could use his Scroll for his ultimates.

That would be some sort of AoE then, going by Deckard´s Scroll of Sealing.

Consider Medivh’s Force of Will. It has a 1.5 second duration and prevents all damage, but not CC or other debuffs.

This would make the target vulnerable exclusively to effects and damage applied by AoEs or skillshots, meaning about 50% of all CC and damage in the game would be rendered useless. While it would definitely be more niche than FoW, giving it literally twice the duration without making it an ult would break him utterly.

Oh, lol.

Well in that case it probably needs a buff or some really strong talent upgrades, especially if he’s going to be a melee hero.

I bookmarked this one earlier on because I think there are some neat aspects of it but I’d like to dig in a little more on making a truly epic hero.

The whole play of “Can see everything, can’t tell his allies” is an interesting concept.

Also, I like the plays on making things intangible as a completely new mechanic to the game (though, I wonder if Blizzard would want to extent that idea to Spirit Walkers from War3).

There’s two big concepts I’d like to lay out for consideration without getting too much into details of how I think it should play out till some others weigh in.

First — I wonder if we could tinker a bit with preventing Itherael’s ability to use pings — instead, replacing the ping wheel with some interesting elements that allows him to shed direct light on what’s going on around the map. It might even be interesting if Blizzard went a step further and added a voice overlay that makes his voice on Blizzard Voice Chat services sound different and language instiquishable for the player as well as having a similar affect while typing.

It means Itherael would have almost universal vision, the tools to forecast the fight, but is largely forced to play within the rules (assuming you just circumvent it with Discord, but less I digress).

The other aspect I’d love to see explored is going back to Tyrael’s original design. Back in his own design, Tyrael (In Alpha) he was a FANTASTIC niche tank that didn’t have jobs of health or armor and his shields where only kind of helpful. He had to tank by shaping the battle field via Holy Ground and a long since removed skill that would massively displace heroes with Smite.

Shaping the Battlefield would be a very interesting mechanic to take these two Talents from Tyrael and retool them.

Itherael’s speaking lines are far and few in between with most of it being one liners in books. I don’t think its a terrible stretch to push his speaking roles into a secondary thing that he does only rarely and only when his words won’t reshape time.

This does lay some interesting ground work for other potential heroes too.

3 Likes

There is a mainthread for things like this, post there.

But sure, I’ll review it

Pointless, this just makes it better for people with mics than without. You might as well set it to just reveal all heroes.

That’s just stealth. Just make it stealth.

The CD is way too long for a combat debuff and when it works, it’s practically a limitless slow. That’s just too powerful no matter the hero. Plus, it doesn’t state how long the application of the slow is. Is it for 5 seconds as long as the buff is active? What’s his AA speed? Important questions here.

Teleport to just whereever?
CD resets when WHO does a blink? The range and specifications here are incredibly vague.

Ok now you actually have an interesting ability here.
But the cooldown is far too long for a utility “make it so that supports can’t support”.

If this is a global isolation, no, that is way too powerful. You could make the ult 3 minutes and it would be too good. This is basically “If your team isn’t stupid, win the next teamfight”.

If it reveals all Heroes to your whole team, the enemy becomes targetable by point’n’click and longranged abilities (like globals) to your allies which I didn’t want. Just be able to warn others and gather information.

Stealth is breakable and has the shimmerceffect. I want neither of those.

It would be a global teleport but only on enemies. Making the range most the times to risky to utilise.

Abilities like Burrow Charge, Blink, Bolt of the Storm, Genji’s dash and so on (high mobility abilities) would have a “mark” in the code.
If Enemy used Marked ability = true then reset E’s CD.
At least that was basically my original idea.

That ability is a death sentence, so mskimg it low cd might bd broken.
Usually 60 cd is “you can have it in literally every teamfight” so I wanted it to be available in “every teamfight if you play smart”.

The effect is like the Isolation, yes, but no silence. Maybe still op, possible.
But my friends said a character in LoL has a similar ult. So it can be balanced in a Moba.

2 Likes

This is an ability i really liked !
I had tought on making an ally or enemy “untargetable” through the tassadar rework ideas i had a while ago and before that throught the hero concept for the zerg queen ( not like zagara , think of the sc1 queens ).

Anyway overall nice concept ! I do have to agree with tazrizen on certain explanation a a bit vague but i still really liked it ! ( specially with the whole reveal stuff )

1 Like