Info from Ex Blizz employee Fabien Serot :Part 2

I get that, but why was doing that so important that they had to create a larger dev team than any other IP? That’s what I think is stupid.

1 Like

We’ll never know. Maybe they didn’t like that a game that was more or less created from WC3 was leaving them in the dust?

In any case, that decision shaped everything else that happened, for better or worse. They wanted a large cast, but didn’t want to wait to release the game until after they were mostly all designed. So they got a bunch of people to release them super fast.

2 Likes

Possibly… who knows lol

Yeah I think it was their way to make it easier to accept that they were late to the moba party and thought by expediting the creation, it would pay off. And here we are.

Some PC gamers playing on phones does not equal the majority. Most PC gamers do not play phone games. Phone games are mostly popular in places where PC ownership is low.

This is dumb.

Blizz con is a PC game event. It just is. The percentage of people at blizzcon who do not own a PC is probably approaching zero.

Thats like saying Jeep designs the wrangler with USPS in mind because USPS drivers use them. You cant logic at all bro.

Diablo III sold 3.4M copies in the first 24 hours of release on PC. In the first week of console it barely sold 300k.

My guess is a significant portion of that 300k had it on PC as well.

Blizzard is a PC gaming company. Blizz con is a PC gaming event. The fact that an insignificant portion of people play diablo on console doesnt change that. In fact Blizzards flagship and best selling game ever is only on PC. WoW.

We don’t know that.

That statement cannot possibly be based on actual data. Where do you get this from? How many is most?

Data?

Saying “it just is” doesn’t make something so. The people who created, funded and organized the event say that it is not a PC game event. Our own opinions are irrelevant.

This statement is not rational. The percentage of people at Comicon who do not own a PC is probably close to zero. Therefore, Comicon is a PC event? I’m sure you can see how that doesn’t work.

That is factually the exact analogy you just made with Blizzcon…

Assuming that is accurate ,I don’t see how it’s relevant to the discussion.

Look, you can repeat this until you’re red in the face. But the company does not consider itself a PC company.

(Also, you don’t seem aware that Blizzard originally made games on Amiga, Commodore 64, and Atari ST. Followed by Lost Vikings and Rock and Roll racing. Then they made Warcraft on PC in 1994)

No its rational. the vast majority of blizzards games are on PC, so why would someone who plays mobile games go to an event from a company who’s games are mostly on pc? I’d argue most are fans because they own PC’s and have played Blizzard’s games.

I don’t think there’s a game that wasn’t released on PC, so its not a stretch to believe the vast majority of Blizzard fans own a PC.

1 Like

You cant convince me phase isnt just lowkey trolling people.

Have you not noticed that all of your statements are based on what blizzard did in the past? What they’re doing now is Diablo immortal. But if this works you up enough that half your agrument is swearing, maybe you shouldn’t be discussing this? In any case, I will not be discussing this further with you. Blizzard have given their official stance on this. Arguing about it is pointless.

Please stop suggesting that a person who plays mobile games cannot also play PC games. We both know there is no value to that argument. I don’t know anyone who plays Mobile games exclusively and won’t touch PC games.

No, it’s not a stretch. But it doesn’t matter. Owning a PC is irrelevant to being in the potential demographic for a mobile game or not. If you had to specifically target people who didn’t own PCs, no one would make mobile games ever.

Then you should try reading more, and projecting less.

The whole whining about “pc or not” seems to neglect more than it uses. Blizzard is a company that makes “games” and their events have included console, card, and mobile games for years. Hearthstone is a mobile platform; Overwatch had a console release, as have Diablo and Starcraft.

Blizzard also releases games for mac os (not just ios) because it is a company that makes games for multiple platforms pending conditions to do so. Some people might not even play any of the games and did the event (and/or company) because it has people dress up and make fanart.

Drawing bad exceptions for some “pc master race” claim doesn’t help that a vocal fanbase were surprised that Diablo 4 was not announced despite blizzard saying it wasn’t going to be that year.

The capacity for people to fixate on limited details and fault others for the “logic” they don’t get does not mean the other outlets the company utilizes no longer exist no matter how much they want to pretend the monkey see, speak, or hear no evil

1 Like

That isn’t what I’m suggesting. I’m suggesting that:

1. People without PC’s are more likely to play mobile or console games because of their lack of a PC.
  2. Most, if not all Blizzard fans own PC’s especially considering you need a PC to play most of them and can play all of them on PC.
  3. People who are big enough fans of Blizzard to go to Blizzcon are most likely fans because of their PC games, not a new mobile game announcement.

You’re not getting what I’m saying. I am not saying they’re targeting people who don’t own PC’s. It’s just that because of their constant release of PC games in the past, the vast majority of their fans are PC owners… so why would you assume mobile games are something your fans would want?

The backlash for that has merit. It’s like Apple trying to make kitchen appliances… they could (because Samsung does), but that’s not what people like Apple for. Mobile games are not what Blizzard fans are fans of Blizzard for.

One mobile game.

2 Likes

No one knew that a mobile game would be announced, so it is absolutely impossible for anyone to be a fan due to the announcement. But I’m not sure what your point is with that.

I’m not assuming anything. Blizzcon is owned by Blizzard, it’s where they make their announcements and it’s already paid for. It would have made no logical or financial sense for them not to announce their game there. Whether we like the game or not, it was the best place for them to announce it. They don’t have to share the attention with anyone else.

Well, it isn’t until it is. They didn’t announce D.I. at Blizzcon because they thought it was what the fans would want. They announced it because that’s where they announce their product, and D.I is the product they were working on at the time.

It was never about what fans wanted. Fans never ask for any new I.P. or project, because it’s new. But companies still have to make them in order to grow.

It came out in 2014, and has had consistent expansion and announcements for years since. If it’s outperforming computer releases, then other games were going to follow…

This one I find wierd because even during HGC days I would only see like 15k-25k at most while LOL would get like 100k+

Very interesting indeed.

1 Like

They had console releases that were mostly flops compared to PC for OW and Diablo.

D3 sold more PC copies in the first hour or two on PC release than weeks on console. The copies sold over the life of D3 on console would have never even paid the development costs if it were only a console release.

Hearthstone obviously is a different animal.

Blizzard is a PC gaming company that has console releases. Its goofy to try and say its not just because it released D3 and OW on console. They were not big console successes. If they had to rely on console sales, the company would dissolve over night.

Its laughable to try and say they arent a PC company just because they have a tiny bit of sales on console.

yeah because you are wrong.

OJ Simpsons stance is he is innocent. That doesnt change reality. Blizzard can consider itself a cake bakery if they want. Doesnt change the fact their revenue is mostly PC related.

Reading this legit makes me shudder.

1 Like

Exactly. Since no one knew, why would the majority of fans at the event be non-PC owners anticipating the realse of a mobile game? Surely the audience at Blizzcon isn’t there solely because of hearthstone.

I am not saying they should announce their mobile game anywhere else. I am saying that they shouldn’t be surprised that people disliked the fact they announced a mobile game since the vast majority of players are probably fans due to their pc releases, not a mobile game. How hard is that to understand my man?

They’re out of touch with their fans that’s why. Didn’t the stock value drop a decent amount after this announement? So while yes Blizzcon is thier stage to show off what they’ve been currently working on… if they’re working on something their fans don’t want then they shouldn’t be surprised if things like this happen.

2 Likes

I give this statement approximately a 67% chance of penetrating, but thank you. It’s very cogently stated.

2 Likes

Having not watched the interview myself I can only suggest that Fabien meant the “most successful (Blizzard) franchise on Twitch”

Yeah without watching the interview myself I would have to agree. I think HGC twitch was amzing but Bliz probably did go to hard rather than letting it occur naturally

1 Like