I am so crap with Malthael..... tips?

I feel like im suppose to kinda dive?

I played a few games and cant really get my head around his kit.

E or basic attack to apply mark then if in range hold Q or W teleport and engage?

But I have no escape so I really vulnerable?

Harb explains the value of how to do some things that sound wrong on paper. But great in reality. Like doing a nonlethal last rites in order force the chogall to hearth instead of fight

1 Like

Build:

1. Fear the reaper (unstoppable for 4 sec 25% move speed increase)
    4-- Black Harvest completing this increases dot dmg timer to 6 seconds
    7-- Massacre your W applies trait as spash
    10-- Last Rites. It damages and it heals beware of protected and bunker.
    13-- If you need escape In The End, if you need damage Soul siphon, if you need spell armor for pyro or jaiana then Shroud of wisdom but keep in mind it takes 2 SECONDS before spell shield kicks in so you need to anticipate damage incoming or it will do no good
    16-- Mortality ALWAYS MORTALITY ALWAYS never turn down 8% HP damage on a talent.
    20-- Angel of death. Taking this reduces your level 10 quest from 15 aod kills to 5 for the 15 sec cd on AOD and gives you 100% of the dmg as healing. You can take Shrowd of death if you need zoning…

Soul siphon heals based on the number of dots in the area around so your sustain depends on have your mark on a lot of targets. People say dont focus the tanks, but tanks are your largest source of healing as are the entire enemy minion wave. So like Kerrigan needs minions to kill for her to build shields you need lots of targets (minons, monsters on shrines guarding shrines. You need souls around you. You also need your team to be there to follow up on the damage you do. Last rites is your only closing damage. You will hurt a lot of people but your assassins need to close !!!

i think this video is good guide how to play malth check it out .
2 Likes

malthael is an anti-tank bruiser. If your opponents don’t have at least one tank and one other high hp unit, malthael is outdrafted - he is the only hero that would have a harder time against a bad murky than he would against a good cho’gall.

And for QM basically just don’t even bother, as well over half of QM games are almost entirely ranged.

Malthael is a solo lane bully. He can survive good vs most match ups. His dmg is great vs squichys.
He provides amazing macro. I think thats what most forget.
Also great vs mobile targets because you have a gap closer

@ OP

I usually E the minion wave then tp to a minion in order to get into melee range then use melees to keep my stack.
If i plan to escape or to play a bit safer I use my E / W on a target and walk out the heat of combat.
Its something that takes a few matches to practice. But it has some natural synergy with the feeling. “I need to put my trait on everything”

1 Like

What build are you using?

Thanks for the video!

Yes I am way better with Mal now!! He’s quite fun to play with tanks and healers on the team.

Just had a game with all dps, he sucks with all dps

This is a common misconception regarding %based damage - they are not somehow magically more efficient against tanks, they, in fact, kill everyone just as fast regardless of how much HP they have.

I would say Malth has a bit more self - sustain with tanky groups. His lvl 13 ‘soul siphon’ takes 4.75% of the heroes max health, also killing a tank with Last Rites is easier too. Also he can stay in group fights more if there are tanks cause they dont hit as hard.

1 Like

actually, it has little to do with hp so much as armor. Tanks tend to get lots of armor woven into their abilities, and malth ignores all of it. Of course, the thing is that tanks are balanced around having that armor, so naturally picking malth against tanks negates their advantage - whereas picking malth against squishier targets does not negate any such advantage.

and along the same lines, tanks are also balanced around having more hit points. Again, this is something malth negates. Plus, tanks have to be in melee range, which is the main way malth spreads his mark. Plus his self-heal does a percentage of marked enemies health. Combining these elements makes malth, you guessed it, more efficient against tanks than he is against squishy units with no armor, low hp, and who tend to stay out of range.

Its not the damage that makes him better against tanks its the healing he gets back from his talents which is more against tanks because of their deeper health pool and its because tanks have a lower attack rate so he trades well with them.

1 Like