How To Make HOTS Grow

Yeah, but HoTs died because it didn’t encourage competitive play.

1. People have to love your game to spend money.
  2. HoTs took all the excited competitive players and punished them for things like “don’t suck”.
  3. All the competitive players went back to LoL - a far worse game btw, but geared 100 pecent to competitioin, get gud or get out.
  4. Empowered snowflakes made the HoTs environment even more reactionary and passive toxic.

You have great ideas, but I personally think it’s as simple as - gear your combat game to competitiion, or watch it fail.

2 Likes

The community was given an opportunity to crowdfund a grassroots attempt at keeping competition going, and as of right now Division S has raised barely over $15K total. This is keeping in mind it has received enormous donations from some community figures and rich fans.

Even then, its qualifiers are pulling a quarter the viewership regular HGC league play pulled when it has less than a tenth the prize purse and it isn’t even regular season time yet. This only proves that the enormous investment in HGC was needless and a case of absurdly diminishing returns (with hundreds of thousands if not millions invested in a product that would be lucky to attract a hundred thousand concurrent viewers). I wish this wasn’t the case, but when left to its own devices, the Heroes esports community has shown no ability to pick up the slack and fund grassroots development (not for lack of passionate and talented individuals, but for lack of interest from the masses). When it was supported by Blizzard it failed to reach any Twitch bit cheer targets and it failed to drum up viewership/excitement.

2 Likes

I agree, the player base just isn’t there for high level competitive play.

What we have left is the true decicated people who mostly played since 2014-15. And that is not a large community, maybe a few thousand to maybe ten thousand at most.

Catering to our crowd is not financially lucrative, compared to hosting a Moba for tens of millions of active players like Riot or Valve do, who can afford $25 million prize pools for tournaments.

I understand why they put in minimal effort in this game and why some designers like BlizzLana left for the competing firms. Money.

And it makes every new update and hero release all the more sweeter. Even 1 new hero release yearly from now on is good, 2 will be great. Having any sort of working game queues at all is great.

1 Like

The competitive players left because hots catters to snowflakes, plain and simple.

I just played a game with a murky who refused to do the obj under his theory that when he pushed they have to send 2 people to stop him, so we win every obj by fighting 4 on 3. Just flat out delusional nonsense. BUT . .

If you say anything at all, you will be reported and banned. The very very very worst players have learned that they can just freind you and report you everyday, hacking the moronic reporting system that hots has implemented.

If you want real competition, you build a game around competitive players. HoTs players are the very worse reverse toxic snowflakes I’ve seen anywhere.

Game has zero balance. In fact, Blizzard keeps buffing heroes that have needed nerfs for a long time. Not to mention, every new hero is just beyond belief by design. They are no longer looking for a competitive game. They are trying to create purchasable candy toons.

So in my opinion the game has a few heroes that just are not fun.

Kael’Thas, Butcher, Varian and now also Deathwing.

In my opinion they add nothing to the game and only make lower league play worse. Since I alted a bit I finally understand why ppl hate butcher so much.

I was in a team and I was just running around afk as nova in a qm on my alt to get as low mmr as possible for rank so I can be placed in bronze and play from bronze to diamond. and the butcher would easily eat them all. So I tryed to help the enemy by luring them to the mercs he would take and then die right on vision and the butcher would still kill them all. It was incredibly hilarious. An unloosable game.

Kael’thas stupid bomb mechanic forces people to change the normal gameplay of grouping in fights every time vs a kael’thas which is extremely pesky. I personally find this adds nothing to the game and Kael’Thas isnt really fun to play either.

Varian is just such a throw hero that only really ever makes sense for blow up combs.

And Deathwing is just full on designed to be good for QM play which is a sign the game is in the eternal QM deadend.

Solo players having to play with toxic premades in ranked is the next issue.

All this must be fixed and the game actually cant be saved anymore.

Play it if you enjoy it but you should realize that blizzard was to greedy with the design.

All heroes should have been accessible from the start and money for skins only.

The current principle in 2k20 doesnt hold people dont fall for it.

Agree, I’m not even sure devs play the game, it’s just “what is noone using, let’s buff that”

yep, I stacked over 600 on buthcer this weak . . . 600!

I remember when getting 400 was crazy.

The problem is, the player base isn’t any good at the game. It’s just super easy to feed now.

This is the biggest contradiction of the game. Blizzard stated that they want a casual fun brawler but they want us to use some team strategy on low casual level of play.Teamplay is not a casual.Casual players do not care about strategy. Teamplay is for hardcore players but hardcore players are not willing to give a chance of HotS because the game lack the mechanics that they want.

1 Like

Why are we bringing back a necroed thread from over a year ago… Are we THAT BORED being sheltered at home. Try playing some games rather than playing Carona Virus Thread Troll 2020.

why are people so concerned about a necrod thread. this is a great example of why hots is so bad, people just freak out about anything.

maybe this “necrod thread” states exactly what this person wanted to say. maybe the topic is still relevant. maybe who cares why he revived it because it’s a public space where he can do anything within the tos. these passive aggresive point out irrelvant nonsense types, is why hots is horrible

btw, totaly agree. hots has never had a coherent goal - the casual moba with a competitive scene, just bad thinking.

I used to discuss how bad players were, and that hots needed a way for players to rank other players to make matchmaking reasonable, but everyone on these forums insisted the answer was to find 4 other freinds and create a team . . . like you can even find 4 people that play hots anymore . . .

1 Like

They wanted to cater to everyone cuz money.