How to force the enemy to waste their time. ( With Leoric)

Not the optimal example of course.

I have a few games where my team’s core is near 50% but the enemy team’s core is low , and they actually don’t go for our core after killing us because they’re paranoid that I will finish their 8% core, even when I couldn’t possibly race them. You can sometimes single handedly cause a loss not to happen with Leoric, because someone (or everyone) on the enemy team will babysit you, which is completely wasted by you just hearthing away.

8 Likes

Had a chuckle there actually. Bubble hearthing like that is just mean.

1 Like

Lol, fantastic strat here. I have enacted this type of strategy with Medivh in raven form before as well. Just fly around a low % core and it’ll draw at least 1 or 2 eager beavers back to you.

The hearth timimg was impeccable, bravo good sir.

2 Likes

Leoric IS mean. You’re talking about a guy who’s too angry to die lol.

I was actually 3 seconds too early.

You don’t necessarily have to stay within sight, better to simply show up and keep them guessing. They are aware of the threat and you don’t need to help them pinpoint the location, so the shorter your ress timer the greater panic it creates. Also plenty room to the side of the core and when you bait them further right you create five extra seconds of run time which could help enable a completely uncontested boss if your team were to decide on it.

Red aren’t feeling catapult pressure yet but I don’t see boss timer and can’t comment on their chances. Unless the lanes collapse towards their base they still have a lot of time to turn the game around. I explain more in post below.

1 Like

As this particular tactic is about goading the opponent to do the obviously wrong thing, being too subtle risks them not taking the bait. Likewise, as this is borderline trolling, committing fully to buy a few more seconds is equally silly and potentially hazardous.

2 Likes

Assuming Leoric has Mithril Mace capped, without which he shouldn’t even attempt this. I would also consider Ossein Renew essential. You can’t really compensate for lack of this talent with Abathur.

• at level 20 it takes around 30s for Leoric to destroy 11k worth of shielding
  • down to around ~22s with Burning Despair, barely enough to land 2 hits on exposed core
  • generally unfeasible until you earn a few more levels, but viable in combination with catapults/objective/boss pressure under right conditions

• at level 25 he breaks 11k (capped value) in 23s, but there’s still double that amount on an intact core left
  • down to ~19s with Burning Despair
  • assuming Leoric’s 550dps and fixed Core dps of 220, he lasts 33s at most uncontested
  • so at lvl 25 the most damage he can do in a single life cycle which included breaking the shield is close to 1/4 of core hp, so over time it will possibly require a 5th life even before you assume a SINGLE AA-based defender so five minutes is an eternity

The shield fully regenerates in 70s (initial delay before it kicks in included) and your default ress timer after level 20 is 65s if I am not wrong. While Burning Despair equals around ~20% dps, it doesn’t really scale well. Only the base value which provides a significant boost to Leoric’s siege capability.

With ideal talents (ossein, mithril, burning) and completely unattended by opponents you might break the shield just barely and land two or three hits on the exposed core. For defenders it is best to completely ignore him for a while longer.

Time isn’t in Leoric’s favor and he could do much more with a simple split push. The worst thing a defending player can do is allow themselves to be drained of life which enables faster respawn for Leoric. If they do this and are forced to move away at a critical moment, they’re in big trouble.

If he attacks a shielded Core at level 30, he would break it and bring down the HP to around 50%. It would at best take him one more life to destroy it completely (with renewed shields), but I doubt it would be doable in less than three because of the RNG with his crit attack. This isn’t something anyone should worry because the game is long over by now.

TLDR: Team Red panicked over nothing. What happened next, did they take mercs and turn in?

Correction; my numbers start from 20min of game time onwards, something which could have easily been stalled for, just 3 more minutes.

1 Like

I believe this was the point. Still, nice to see it backed by numbers.

1 Like

Actually, I want it to be obvious. I want as many of them as I can to think they should stay around and get a free kill.

It’s true that if I had placed myself closer to the hall of storms, I would have incurred more travel time to them.

I pretty much always have Ossein renewal. There’s very little reason not to pick it. It’s better than both the other talents.

Oh shoot, nvm them. Bad play, horrible job there.