HOw do we stop smurfs

AFter reading the post’s title, I came here to say exactly that… I’m glad I’m not the only one that remembers Gargamel (and Azrael).

I think the hardest part with fighting smurfs is its hard to really know if someone is a smurf or not. Its not as easy as just picking out the new players with good winrates sense not every new player is a first time moba/rts player.

This would definitely do it but wed need the us government to catch up with the times first.

1 Like

you can not stop smurfs, but you can remove the reasons why people smurf meaning there will be less of them

1 Like

You don’t even need that, just use a mobile authenticator and watching smurfing shatter in competitive environment.

2 Likes

Part of the smurfs are due to the fact that the players abuse the reporting system. That is, first, need to make a weekly limit on reports.

2 Likes

One idea to how to make smurfing less incentive:

What do you think about my idea?

We had TL for that before but it failed as you know. Not many want to 5 stack as you think in this game. Only about 5% of the playerbase accourting to the data 5 stacks in SL.

2 Likes

Smurfs are a problem but I’m encountering very frequently players with 49.5% winrate over their 500 matches in the season, out of which 200 happens to be their main hero at 53% winrate, and they use the hero perfectly.

Normally you should expect it’s just micro. Due to my improved confidence the last few weeks, I recall a good bunch of matches looking really scary, and/or starting badly, but persistence has overwhelmed the enemies. Sure, I have some similar losses as well, some outright throws.

Expecting someone to be smurf is also a coping mechanism. A way to deny that someone your rank can play so well mechanically.

1 Like

Well it’s easy actually to spot Smurfs, its usually low level accounts with 65%+ winrate and high KDA of 5+, because average players have a KDA around 2-4 with. That’s at least what I have experienced between bronze - gold.

2 Likes

You also see most smurfs in general chat also only want to play with other smurfs in SL or in QM.

But on EU general chat they get flamed on and called bad and boosted and they should play alone and dont need help.

Or cant win games againts players in thier own league and need players better then themself to join his team and help him rank up higher then his own skill.

1 Like

Give incentives for people to become GMs and stay there. Right now once you become a GM there are no more goals for you in hots.

2 Likes

I wouldnt take gargamels advise at all, he has been trying for decades and still seems to fail.

3 Likes

If we stop smurfs, we kill the game.

1 Like

Well we can’t stop smurfing anyway, only making it less incentive and encouraging playing main accounts.

2 Likes

You wanna stop smurfs? Stop trying to report/ban everyone who is better than you.

3 Likes

Almost no one reports better players, but most of the time toxic players are reported and for a good reason.

1 Like

I mean I’ll admit I try to report the obvious smurfs but that’s not jut “better” that’s obviously at least a high plat in a silver rank, watching someone be a literal perfect alarak. And yet the game at the end somehow thinks my team was favoured in the MMR and lose the above 200 for that stomp as a result.

1 Like

So you’re abusing the system for your own sake? Actually I would like, if you get banned for that, because you abuse the feature, because there is no valid reason to report smurfs for good reasons. You are part of the problem why this community is called “soft” or “toxic” with your behaviour to abuse this already horrible report system.

I remember lucifer said that statistically “hero damage” from lower players isn’t much lower than from high players, he concluded that lower players can know their heroes well. That means this Alarak player can just be dedicated to this hero and be good with him, but it doesn’t mean he is a smurf.

Raise account level requirements be allowed to even que for qm. Make even higher lvl requirements and heroes owned only requirements for ranked.

1 Like

If we had a bigger playerbase this could be possible, but not in the current spot. But why would you increase the requirements for QM? It doesn’t make sense.

1 Like