How do I ragnaros?

I’ve been playing since this hero came out but he’s the only hero that I haven’t been able to figure out what he’s supposed to be good at and how he’s supposed to do that. Has anyone made any good guides on how to play him or has tips on how to play him beyond just timing lava wave to get extra minions

1 Like

The only thing, I can say, he’s good on big maps, because his lava, what gives him a map control.
And he’s good on Braxis, because he can def zergs easily.

2 Likes

Every Rag ability is good for clearing lanes

Try to save E as an escape or use it to get a little move speed for the kill

Use W to poke enemies down or finish off fleeing foes

Mainly use his Q to clear waves for that amazing heal.

If your team has lots of Waveclear like TLV or Murky i would recommend going Smash for pure damage and as a finisher.

If the enemy had a lot of push vs you like Zagara or Sgt hammer, Lava wave would be super helpful if your team lacks the waveclear.

And try not to be too stingy with your trait, i see people use it one or 2 times a game but the cooldown makes it so you can use it like 6 times a games at least.

And don’t be afraid to bait the enemies into a destroyed fort and go ham on them.

As Far as builds go i recommend going W build if they enemy has a Squishy backlinelike ming or Zuljin.

E build is a good choice if you have a heavy diver like Kerrigan or illidin, which kinda makes you feel like a support in a sense.

And i go Q build mainly vs a heavy frontline. i can be talented to do 9% health every 2 seconds in a good Team fight.

His main weakness is that he is a somewhat squishy melee that doesn’t have the best escape and he is used more to push back enemies rather than kill them.

if you are Bronze- Gold maybe even plat i would highly recommend climbing with Ragnaros, great waveclear and teamfight presence while being able to do camps.

Have fun trying the elemental lord of fire pal.

Best of luck to you

4 Likes

By Fire Be Purged !!

TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON!

1 Like
  1. Don’t push waves all the way. If you get dived, you don’t have a way to escape.

2. If you go Q quest level 1, you have to go catching fire. You don’t have much survivability so it’s better than nothing.

3. If you have a good frontline, always go W build.

4. Level 16, Giant Scorcher melts tanks.

5. Remember to use your trait to save your structures

6. Lava wave the lane where you have the strongest merc camp, or where your boss will go.

2 Likes

Assuming you played every hero, In terms of his “Assassin” role, they play pretty similar, they are both squishy targets but they require you to take risk and get close.

Thrall damage is stronger though but Ragnaros has better map control.

Edit: I want to add that for some reason, Ragnaros is the hero who more questions have been brought up here in the forums including myself.

Every now and then some person will ask how to play Ragnaros in here which is interesting for that matter.

1 Like

E build is best build, allows you to better get in range for your Q and autos. Increases damage, chase potential, survivability with shields at 13 and double all of that with echo at 16. You have to play early game safely as he’s pretty squishy until 13.

Ult choice is map dependent, as Lava Wave’s value will change. You can make Sulfuras Smash work with nearly any CC from a teammate and it just got buffed.

1 Like

well a second main to ragnaros, ill burn the confusion for u

he is a very unique hero, unlike melee assasins, who have some sort of health and a bit of sustain such as kerrigan, he has VERY low health as a bruiser ( like malthael’s) but unlike ranged assasins, who can deal insane dmg from behind the curtains, his basic attack is the second strongest in the game. also, he has:

-cc from talents

-a BIT of sustain from some talents ( like 4 in total, to make him be more reliable living)

-ranged dmg ( the meteor is very good poke and damage )

-solo lane potential is high ( all his abilities clear minion waves in less than 5 seconds, well executed i think he can clear the best of all heroes, and lava wave as well is at his disposal, and early game i had situations where noob enemies would ignore me destroying the first fort in 5 mins)

-team fight potential is VERY high ( his sulfuron smash is awesome in team fights if u can aim properly, and his q provides healing and area dmg to all enemies, his w if talented can destroy their backline and be a disruptor, and his e can save a teammate if theyre smart enough to disengage)

all of this will tell u he is like no other. why?

CAUSE HE DOSENT HAVE A ROLE !

thats right! he is the no.1 hero ( more than varian and kharazim) who is TOTALLY SPECIALIZED by his talents. he has 3 builds to DIFFERENT NATURE ABILLITES as well as 4 SUSTAIN TALENTS! he is a pure make ur own hero.

lemme show u:

low ranged dmg: meteor build
strong obj and pushy team: lava wave and molten core up at 20
actual bruiser: go sustain and submerge and q build
bad team fight comp: go sulfuras smash ans meteor build
engage disengage assasin? go sustain,submerge, and e build and a bonus is that u save ur allies.

the possibillities are ENDLESS. he is a hero u can mold to fit anywhere. and i learnt this with like. 25 to 30 lvls of experience (considering my old account) ragnaros if we take his talents away, is AWFUL. he would be sooo plain and boring. unlike other heroes, who can still be impactful early game. which is why i sololane to get xp even before going mid for the mini fight to boost myself up to become better in terms of xp and power.

ps: i didnt actually help u decide what to pick with him ( i pick w build cause i saw it fitted the most situations above and dealt sweet dmg) cause i wanted u to try him urself, and use my advice. i SWEAR his dmg outpt can be GREATER than a good fenix if well executed.

to encourage u, i had a game where:

(it ws 35 mins)

had 4 deaths ( 2nd least to junkrat with rocket ride)
did most hero dmg aside from valla more than fenix
did most seige dmg
had 28 KILLS up my sleeve
and gave 35 K XP TO MY TEAM

AS RAGNAROS!!

i hope this encourages u to try this awesome hero and remember. he was made to be nothing, u make it be something on the battlefield with talents.

all these advice they give u, they give u as from their own experience NOT IN RAGANROS, but their OWN raganaros. one might say go q build when another says go w build. its all ur choice really. however u see the comp, enemy, and map, ragnaros will mold to fit there. and the clearer u see, the better u play.

they should make him a hard hero since it can be difficult to decide, and if u mistake the talents, ur SCREWED BELIEVE ME. even if u pro play with wrong talents, u wont achieve anything but shame.

edits: all cause im not an english speaker and my sentences are trash :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks so much everyone. I gave Ragnaros another shot last night after reading the posts that were here and this guide from a master/GM rag player:

docs.google. com/document/d/1TfH0ADjILX7Fq71464GW9j8bvC-b8AW0_qs9DcjYzVY/edit

And now that I understand how to play him and what he’s good at I am having a great time playing him and am going to be playing him a lot more now. The matches I played I was by far the most XP soaked and siege damage, made some great plays with lava wave and molten core, and felt like I had a massive impact on all the games I played.

1 Like

Don’t sit there auto attacking. You need to go in, smack someone, Q, then leave until your Q is ready again usually. Use E for yourself or allies, probably avoid using it for damage unless you are E build.

You can use W towards you if you are being chased to heavily damage pursuers.

YES BRUH :smiley: so happy to hear that.

BY FIRE BR PURGED

Always, remember raggy has one of the strongest traits in the game as it allows, him to tank objectives like BhB cannons or Temple lasers without all the damage hitting the structure.

He’s a very macro heavy assassin. Not poor in TG by far, but he lacks utility beyond dmg because his macro game is so hot.

It’s best to think of him similar to gszlowe and probius. He’s a very similar kind of hero, albeit with slightly more AOE TF presence because his defense is weaker and overly reliant on using D to def a Fort.

In my still limited experience with him the hero I’ve found he compares best to is Abathur strangely enough but with more of a physical presence in the game. He protects structures well, can give a diving hero some extra burst damage and speed, can pressure multiple lanes at once, alright poke damage, a siege damage and xp monster, but in exchange for being more vulnerable has higher hero damage

sarcastic answer:
Purge the outsiders with fire.

Sitting on ~75% wr in high Diamond (EU) with Ragnaros.
Played him to Lv 30 as of current.

From my experience:
E Build is almost always the best. The dps potential from builds doesn’t vary too much but E provides a 40% slow (don’t underestimate this), a small bit more mobility, and damage that is flexible in its range since you could also put the blast wave on your tank. (Blistering Attacks at 7 for more burst and trade potential)

An exception could be being up against a fat frontline. If you want the %x damage at 16 on your Q you might aswell go full Q build.
Be careful though. Heroes with evasion or blinds can negate your Qs.

Ults:
I love Lava Wave. It’s global soak and good defense against aggressive pushs.

Smash is basically a point n click delete. Not a bad ult but neither is Lava Wave.

I wouldn’t get Lava Wave on Towers of Doom or when we already have more than enough soak through a decent Abathur or something. It all comes down to how much your lanes are covered.

Lv 20:
Literally all the talents are good in some situation.

The one with the least conditions is Heroic Mode.
Heroic Mode reduces the cooldown of what makes Ragnaros broken by a large chunk and buffs it even further. If you are already ahead in map control this is a very good pick. Just let your team know that fighting near destroyed fortifications makes things easier.

Then there is Submerge:
Submerge recieved a buff just recently. If you feel like you are too vulnerable in tfs due to cc lockdown or massive burst you might want to consider taking this.
It can also be used semi-aggressively by using up your abilities and then entering submerge so they can recharge without you being vulnerable. This is best with E build as the Blast Waves will continue despite you being in stasis.

Lava Surge:
This is your emergency button. Press it when you are behind a lot or have too much PvE pressure on your core. Sometimes your team just can’t afford to risk splitting for depush.

(That upgrade to Smash I never take):
It just got updated and now has an even longer stun/slow. At this point the ult is just complete overkill. There may be situations in which the other two options aren’t needed and you can just go for it.

Disadvantages of being a fire lord:

• Some ranged heroes can bully you out of your lane.
  • Your builds come alive at lv 16.
  • You are a PvE hero who can’t solo bosses.

Advantages:

• You can provide more xp than any other hero who can also contribute to fights.
  • Molten Core is the reason your kit can’t get buffed.
  • There is burst potential.
  • You’re not in the meta so nobody really knows how to counter you.

A little something for those of you who have friends willing to play borderline broken healers:
Try out nano boosted E build. After 16. I was just as surprised as I imagine my enemies were.

2 Likes

Just as post above said. His e build is prb strongest. Its pick all e tallents. ALL of em.On 7 its mostly extra aa dmg since he hits like a truck.

This build rly works since his lvl 16 talent for e is quite strong since you can now use it twice with every cast with all of the talents you picked. And at 16 you will have 3 talents buffing it.

His trait is rly good for defense and popping it strait in their team (when the tf starts near destroyed forts) usually means they lost that fight.

However. Due to that massive power spike you get at 16 you are rly weak before you reach it.

Also you need frontline. Aka 2 tanks. Rag is bad when he cant get close to enemy.When you reach em they aint running due to you being sped up and them being 40% slowed but you aint doing s**t if you cant reach em(or you reach em with like under 20% hp).

1 Like