Heroes of the Storm Balance Patch Notes - July 20, 2021

Exactly. You can’t buff Zagara in any aspect unless you somehow make her to require more active participation in being played. Right now she’s just a Summoner who spawn stuff and then run away, letting her minions do the majority of the damage (inconsistent damage mind you. High potential, but inconsistent). She needs a major overhaul, not just some number buffs because that would make her broken. She should be encouraged to attack alongside her summons more instead of fleeing and hoping her spawns do the work for her. This is why people will complain and she will be nerfed into the ground again. Just like Auriel Rez, just like Imperius’s overnerf, just like Falstad’s W quest.

Yeah like Harmony or something. Also the icon for it… it looks weird, could it have not been a combination of 3 colored trait icon?

1 Like

I mean that set is called “Shen-Long’s Fists of Legend” so it works

1 Like

Just gonna wait for the forum to be filled with “You ruined Artanis, his E is unplayable now” based on how little patience this forum usually has for gameplay changes.

Illidan rework

Morales changes look great, though I’m a little worried about Juice Pirates again.

I see Q build Muradin is still a bit of a meme.

Artanis changes are definitely cool. I do have a couple nitpicks, though.
They’ll need to increase the number of Block charges he can store (but maybe give them a maximum duration?) to actually make Reactive Parry worth picking outside of the usual niche situations.
Final Cut is underwhelming for the same reason as Follow Through.
We now have even less reason to pick Zealot Charge at level 20 now.

I love the changes to Burrow and Tunneling Claws for Dehaka.

I’m very happy something similar to what I’ve suggested in the past got added to Kharazim.

The ability to toggle Stukov’s ranged attacks from Fetid Touch is a good change, albeit one that should have been made a long time ago.

Tyrande buffs are cool, but almost certainly too much. Mark of Mending is going to make some Tanks virtually immortal.

Also

if I see you playing Tyrande on my team while I’m playing Zul’jin and you don’t pick Trueshot Aura, I’m reporting you.
…nah, I’m just kidding maybe.

It looks like Falstad’s Q build may finally be viable once again. W build was also overnerfed, so it’s good they’re fixing that.

Jaina buffs are… cool.
I really like the buff to Ice Floes, that’s always been one of my favorite talents.
Also, there’s a lot of typos in this section. Northern Exposure is an E talent, not a W talent, and Cold Snap is at level 20, not at level 16

2 Likes

Why would anyone think that? Especially with all the buffs he got. It feels different but overall so much more smooth. You can now E and then Q right after.

Do they? She got some mixed changes including some significant nerfs. People should know that her baseline energy regeneration got nerfed, but her level 1s have additional generation mechanics. Her safeguard armor and health also got nerfed. Her main weakness, being unable to deal with AOE damage is still very much a problem, which in a game where Blizzard has been giving out AOE like candy, does not really ameliorate some of her weaknesses.

And her annoyingly themed safeguard and grenade tiers are still there. The new grenade talent is not necessarily bad, but like okay, I guess I’ll auto attack after a grenade? Not the most interesting. They really couldn’t just put back irradiate beam could they? They also put second opinion at 20, which after Blizzard’s new design trend to make 20s gonzo stupid is severely lacking.

Juice Pirates is barely even a thing now. A lower cooldown will allow for more failures? Safe zone could theoretically maybe help that a little with an extra second of protected, but that’s such a terrible talent that is also at level 20 because offensive medivacs are so hard to control and often leave you vulnerable.

Hospice care is pretty crazy though. It’s like a mini palm, and combined with shield sequencer is borderline broken.

Overall, I’d say she’s not really all that much better, and the people who hate Morales, will still hate her. Which is fine by me. I find the whole idea of people wanting to be wave clearing gods and not care about teammates to be bizarre. But the rework is a pretty big miss for some of the issues that I had with her (namely lack of utility talents, boring themed tiers, inability to deal with AOE in an increasingly AOE heavy game, armor redundancy).

2 Likes

You do know you should be constantly Auto attacking as any healer right?
The exceptions would be Deckard and sometimes Stukov.

She also got buffed to a new dimension, and she was already fairly strong to a point where she was abit nieche.

Because people are impatient, the added 0.4sec cast time is gonna screw over the timing of her switch during his Q, meaning everyone has to learn Artanis all over again for the timing.
Which by experience, this forum just doesn’t wanna spend their time on, but stil wanna spend time complaining about it.

Yes.

Yeah, it was a joke. It’s just kind of uninspiring. But thanks for reminding a Tyrande main about that.

A new dimension is like strong words. Tyrande was buffed to a new dimension. Morales doesn’t really change all that much with her changes. A mixed bag that sort of doesn’t fundamentally deal with her issues.

It’s a lot less than that, it’s like .1875 seconds which is super fast, and it’s no longer channeled, so it’s going to feel a lot better than standing still for a lot of people even if they have to get used to it slightly.

1 Like

That is a bit of hyperbole, as you don’t have to learn him all over again, just retrain your muscle memory to the new timing. I was missing more Es than I am used to, but I know I will have the timing down to reflex sooner than later.

2 Likes

It is a hyperbole, it is obviously only the E that changed

Heck even when we got the XP “changes” people went amok on the forums, it apparantly ruined all their games and life was missery.
Apart from it being mainly a visual change and made the gameplay easier by having the XP remain in lane for abit longer.
I was laughing for months at how the neverending XP posts just kept on coming.
Apparantly writing a page long review on how bad something is, is easier than actually taking the time to learn to play with something, that didn’t change their playstyle by a mile.

1 Like

Valla not on the list…

guess ill be continuing my winning streak with her.

I play Jaina with a nice 56% WR with her. She didn’t need changing, the fact she’s been buffed is a concern. She was in a great spot of terms of balance.

From the other thread

Ok I managed to play one hero in this patch that’s been changed, and all I have to say is… MOOoooOOM! DEHAKA IS BEING DISGUSTING RIGHT NOW! He’s op! That burrow movement should’ve been based-stacked eons ago. Burrow-movement is so fun! If you spec into dat talent 4 where he goes invis and knock-back, you can make pro body-blocks or set ups. Especially at 16, you can chase and body-block low HP heroes or scatter the back-line lol. That elongated tongue with the Gambit gives you a decent chance as a carry as well!

1 Like

And it took them a long while to make it acceptable. Now globes stick around, it becomes less likely to lose XP (note, you still lose some XP, but at least not all of it) and rewards staying at the lane a bit more. Which makes even weaker laners capable of soaking a little.

But plenty of heroes still suffer from the change. Which those heroes can only resolve by simply forcing themselve to brawl. And this doesnt work if those perfect offlaners dont offlane, causing your team to still lose massive amounts of XP.

At least XP was made visible now, thats the only positive aspect here. But people still dont understand the importance of it. And thats because brawling all round is the most reliable way to become MVP.

1 Like

I’d say this response is a lie from one end to the other.
Before we had the globes, people basicly guessed how XP gain worked, there was no XP that stuck on the lane so you simply had to just be there when the minions died.
No Heroes SUFFER from XP staying longer in lane, some heroes just got better, example Xul.

XP made visible is FAR from the only positive aspect of the XP change.

Players actually enter the game now going “Ahh so that’s where i get XP”.
Every player can see a lane not being soaked by seeing the massive amounts of XP laying around in the lane, despite stil being absolutly useless at lower ranks where people for some reason STIL can’t seem to collect XP BECAUSE they are brawling like mad.
Which is also NOT how you become MvP.

Not in the sense of showing up on the screen nor in the sense of actually being the most valued player ingame.
80-90% of my games when smurfing from bronze - gold was MvPs, and that was litteraly from avoiding brawling and constant teamfights.

This is the whole teamfight dilemma all over again, don’t ecourrage poor teamfight behaviour, that’s just not how the game is ment to be played, and not how you rank up nor stay at a high rank.
Crazy.

1 Like

Phase Prism [E]

• Cast time increased from .0625 seconds to .25 seconds.

Is this a buff for Artanis?

If you are being bullied, you are losing XP because the globe range is shorter than the old soak range. There was a reason why TLV could easily stay in a bush and soak that way.

Heroes that do not involve strong waveclearing capabilities also arent able to quickly go out, burst the damage and move back to safety. Those heroes suffer and lose some XP as they usualy are going to depend on the weaker globes. Usualy those are heroes like nova that are more PvP suitable.

Dont state that people lie if you dont have a clue about the change in mechanics and its effective result.

The biggest MVP factors are staying alive and getting takedowns. Brawling makes you more likely to get the takedowns for this. And then only staying alive matters.
XP is only a modifiers similar to the highest damage or siege. And each of those is already beaten by 2 takedowns (both count as 2 on the algoritm).

There was a post on this forum once with all the MvP criterias, it is a LONG list of points.
So no, rewarding incorrectplays is not how things work.

It promotes activity, littearly TLV was the only one hit by it, or Aba aswell, but they fixed the issue for Aba, and TLV doesn’t in all reality actually have an issue with this.
Good TLVs got no problem with the XP soak AT ALL, which is why we got plenty of TLV mains in Master and GM.

Not all heroes are bloody buildt to clear a whole wave, that’s why we got comps, and different heroes for different occations and jobs.
You don’t just pick a team full of Novas and then go “Well this game sux, we can’t make a team full of Novas now because waveclearing is an issue, XP globes clearly create an issue here”.
As if they could that previously, if you got pushed to pieces previously, then your gonna get pushed to pieces now equally much.

Like i said last time to you, before you post these things, you should show up with your rank.
Tried this previously aswell with others on this forum, and they oddly go quiet afterwards, your giving out tips on something i am 100% sure is incorrect, as i consistantly rank up my accounts, and i would refrain from ALL these “tips” that you give out, as that is how i played when i started out in this game, learning eventually how NOT to win.

So if your gonna have this discussion, post your rank to me, put me in my place by actually sitting in master or grandmaster, and i will shut it, and say “Well then clearly two tactics works, thought it oddly didn’t work for me and nobody does it at a high rank, and it is HIGHLY frowned upon from D1 and up, it clearly works for some then in some wierd magical way.”

Yes, and each takedown is 1 point. where getting the highest of the game in the categories (siege, hero damage, xp) is 2, and highest on team is 1. Death timer reduces your score based on time spent dead, where this is applied percentagewise.
As a game can easily have 30 takedowns on 1 side. This dominates all the scoring together with time spent dead (which in the late game does affect quite a bit as 1 minute dead in a 20 minute game is already 5% - or 1.5 takedown in the 30 kills example).

They got hit the hardest. But werent the only one. All low waveclear heroes currently suffer as they become very incapable of proper soaking when it turns into a 1v2. And yes, this is less than 10 heroes. But that doesnt mean it isnt negative. Soaking should be rewarding towards all heroes.

Going QM as nova and facing horrible teammates is a very common thing.
then again, you went nova… which might be considered equaly horrible

But still, QM should be decent for all heroes, and having some flexibility in tasks is therefor nice. Even if suboptimal. Soaking is however one of those things that just should be rewarding in order to get players to do so.

This is a complete nonsense comment. Because it is irrelevant to the issue. Soaking should especialy be rewarding on lower ranks, as thats where you want to teach the importance of soaking.
And although to a certain degree it still is, popular bronze heroes should generaly not suffer as much (these are the typical heroes that are bad at waveclear and only work for PvP).

I could even say that master/GM knowledge is counter productive towards understanding bronze/silver. Because those players play a completely diffirent game, just because a lot of skill aspects simply do not exist there.

Rank doesnt say anything for everything. And i had personal experience at balancing mvm missions in team fortress to get an idea of how diffirent skill levels are. In my map it was extremely difficult to make missions for the easiest mode, just because you need to balance towards the clueless. And to a certain degree that comes down to guiding them, and not overload them with stuff that they just cant follow. Again, at the lowest skill levels they play a diffirent game.

And on a side note, the last change in which XP stays longer is to me the positive change it needed in order to push those players to soak. It could still be better, but at least it provides the teaching aspect. So its not too bad entirely anymore. Its now more of a factor of which benefits do you consider more important.

So before you misunderstand me here. I do like that they tried changing it, and the current approach is an improvement. Its however currently not as optimal as it could be. And thats because of those situational cases.