[Hero Rework] Nova, make the ghost creepy

I admit I’ve forgotten this counter play, this is right that Heroes block each one a shot to protect the real target.

Sorry but this is the first goal of the rework, she will not be viable unless being able to clean Minion waves without using her ult.

i honestly don’t think you even play the hero or master the hero i could be wrong but if you do then you don’t know that much about how she works to actually be qualified for making a rework like this. as i said before this would make her Broken i’m not repeating that again so yeah.

4 Likes

In general Triple Tap follows a similar concept that no one tries to do with Pyroblast, you use it for Burst when playing accordingly and there’s team work involved, not as a finisher.

I think Pyroblast is fine choice to pick as long as you know how to use and of course not as a finisher in general which is what players use instead.

But then again there’s a lot of competition with Precision Strike that makes Triple Tap simply weak in comparison, unlike Pyroblast does have some (when not used by actual potatoes), e.g AoE damage, global pressure with it, 60 seconds cooldown, can hit multiple targets for actual decent damage.

Once again, this is not the point, and if it’s so important for you, then argue which mechanic is broken, and don’t say me it’s Mortal Wound at level 1, just in term of stats, it’s far from broken compared to Varian/Xul/Garrosh.
You have to quote precisely what he so “broken” to you, explain why, and why It should not be added because it doesn’t match to the character and/or Lore.

I’ve read the whole topic and all I get from it, you seem to have not much experience in playing Nova.
It looks more like you have played to level 10, maybe 15 to get an idea of how she could work and now you post a complete rework to match your imagination how she should work and neglecting the experience of other players, that played her for many hundred matches. Sorry but it just doesn’t work this way.

2 Likes

Why? Backdooring structures with Nova is a viable strategy, but it’s extremely game-specific. I don’t see a reason to remove this option from her kit.

Sounds like a talent, more than a baseline change.

Those 2 are a mess of overabundance of functionalities. Each ult has an active element and 2 passive ones, which is ridiculous. More often keeping it simple is better.

It’s a bit difficult to balance Snipe when it has both piercing AND explosion. I’m find with sacrificing the explosion to get piercing, but having both at the same time would just lead to an overpowered ability, that will get nerfed, and nerfed, and nerfed again. And when it’s so nerfed, that it’s already at a laughable state, they will just nerf it again. So it’d be better to have “Piercing Round” as a talent here instead.

So practically a 3 seconds long root, which doesn’t prevent mobility…
Considering it’s a common thing to take ~4k dmg over 1,5 sec in HotS, 3 seconds of being unable to move any meaningful distance would pretty much spell the doom for most of the hero pool. (Ofc there are different scenarios in which the target may not die, but that’s just way too OP)

These 2 upgrades seem particularly similar and bland.

Usually when you change a level 16 talent to a level 20 one, one tends to buff it, instead of nerf it.
I suppose you misspelled 25 and mistakenly wrote 15 instead?

That’s particularly stupid. If it’s gonna be a level 20 talent, at the very least it needs 1,5 seconds of unrevealable.
I miss the good old days when Ghost Protocol was putting Nova in unbreakable stealth for 2 seconds, and she could attack and use abilities while stealthed. I was eating basic attack based heroes for breakfast back then.

As for the overall design:
There are some decent ideas, but streamlining her whole kit to revolve around snipe is a terrible idea. DIVERSITY is what makes the game interesting, and having multiple viable builds, some of which that don’t rely on Snipe, is a lot healthier for the game.

You can actually see that I had some similar ideas about Nova (specifically the “make it easier to confuse enemies” part), although executed in a totally different way here: Nova [big] rework concept

While this is a bit more conservative rework, that doesn’t completely change her: Nova [small] rework concept

2 Likes

Not that I think swapping places with a clone is OP, its just that that’s kind of samuro’s big thing.
I feel that giving it to her makes their clonage feel a bit too much like each other. I

It is funny, when players wrote they are GM from the early alpha, but then they obviously don’t even know the basics…

Like:

:smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Or make it so each round that pierces an enemy hero makes it 20% stronger :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This is what it looks like when someone “plays” at being a game developer.

No logic, just random stuff with no basis for design choice.

2 Likes

lol, rekt

3 Likes

Then explain me how does it work to improve my rework.

You still can do hit, but you’ll sacrifice your stacks.

About Triple Tap, there’s many way to change it so that it becomes a viable, skilled and balanced ult. Currently this is a VERY long range ult, that collides with structures and hits the first enemy hit, which allows 2 counter plays, but if you don’t have anything then you’re sentenced to death.
If you have a better idea to make this ult more “fair”, and keep those weaknesses and manage to improve the skill, then post your idea.

About Precision Strike, I had 2 goals:

• “Force” the player not to use this ult to kill 7 minions. Which has been done by reducing the damage, and put a new functionality dealing damage to Heroes depending their missing Health.
  • Link Precision Strike to W/AA Build (and Triple Tap to Q Build).

I like when Ultimates are linked to builds/Basic Abilities because it creates synergy.

It deals damage in AoE only when it hits an enemy Hero, this will not be like Piercing Bow for Hanzo which OS any Heroes in the middle of 7 Minions.

Maybe this is too much, but that’s not the point. The question is “Is this talent well designed ?”. It only works whenever you hit with your Q after using W, so if an enemy is between you and your target, you’ll miss, or if the enemy has a Mobility Tool, you might miss him.
This talent is very strong against Heroes without mobility like KT/Jaina etc… Others talents are designed for others situations.
Maybe 80% is too much, but as said before, this is not the question.

Do you suggest something better ?
I admit the new Precision Barrage looks like Fast Reload, but I had no ideas to create a better level 20, particularly when 2 Precision Strike is more OP than a reset when you kill, because it forces you to use it at the good timing.

This isn’t a nerf. Pinning Shot will benefit Snipe’s Bonus, so depending your number of stacks, ultimate (+60% or 80% if Triple Tap) and talents (Perfect Shot), you increase drastically increase the damage of Pinning Shot. Armor Reduction is a mechanic extremely powerful in the game because your entire team benefits it, that why I’ve chosen to allow the player to increase by itself the damage of Pinning Shot and reduce the power of being able to OS any enemy Heroes with Nova when she works with her entire team.

The problem is that Nova relies on her Snipe to deal damage, this is the Spell that gives her identity. I don’t want to allow some bad player to be able to deal massive amount of damage with their Basic Attacks without being able to hit a single Q Spell, this is why I’ve changed her so that she entirely revolves around being able to hit with its Snipe.

Yes I know, the problem is that matches to Nova very well as well.

“No logic” ? OK xD

About the “big” rework, I’ve not played SC2 so it was a bit hard for me to understand, and stopped at the middle (despite I like Ghost Maneuvers)

About the small one, I really like Tactival Retrait, but as I didn’t kept Ghost Protocol on her main kit, it has not interesting for me.

Back to Ghost Maneuvers, I like it so much (and it seems that it matches to Nova’s Lore), does it bother you If I remove Ghost Protocol at level 20 to put your talent ?

Edit: I’ve add every comments on the first post to explain every single change.

Really appreciate your work. This must have taken you a lot of time

I mean Twin Blade Varian can maintain that same 40% basically indefinitely on one target so honestly this is probably tghe only thing balanced about this rework

By the way Cat can you give me a hand, I was working on a Nova Rework of my own and I want to make sure I’m not losing my mind with my observations

When I play Nova I don’t think Sniper I think Operative
I think running and gunning, constantly on the move, and put simply I always envision Nova’s C-10 funcitoning more as a mid range assault rifle rather then a sniper rifle, especially when compared to Ana’s kit

Would you as a Nova player be ticked if a rework leaned into that notion rather then trying to make Sniping the focal point?

Yeah, technically you can do it, but you get punished for it, so it’s not something you’d want to do. Technically you can stay into zoning abilities as well, but should you?

You can see my idea in Nova’s small rework concept.

That is one of the things I like the least about your rework concept. I’m often using PS to clear 14 minions and being unable to do that would be a huge nerf, to her already non-existent wave clear.
Apart from the piercing snipe, I don’t know how will you help Nova in that regard.

90% of the time you don’t use W if you can’t follow it up with Q, when you use it as an opener. If there is a hero between you and your target, your positioning is bad.

When something isn’t broken, don’t fix it. You speak as if the current Precision Barrage is the most broken ult upgrade in the game, when it’s not.
But there are many things that can be done to make a “different” ult upgrade, such as:
Flat cooldown reduction, damage increase, AoE increase, delay decrease, you get healed for part of the damage done, debuff enemies (reduce their speed, or armor), and many more… you get the idea.

Yet streamlining a hero is a terrible idea. Snipe wasn’t as crucial part of Nova’s kit before the stealth nerf. She could BUILD HERSELF to have a powerful snipe, and IT WAS HER CHOICE to do so. IT WAS NOT FORCED onto her. It was MORE REWARDING than it is now, but it wasn’t always viable. Imagine playing against Illidan. Have fun hitting him with Snipe. Therefore she needs a fallback options, for when her “high risk, high reward” build is not going to pay off.

Imagine what will happen if the devs nerf Hanzo baseline, but integrate his level 1 Q talent into his base kit (something similar to what they did with Nova, but with more clear drawback). When he is matched against Abathur, he will be unable to complete his quest, and therefore the change will be a strict nerf.

And it’s those situations where you want to have a fallback option, because no matter how good of a player you are, there will always be bad matchups, where you’d want a safer build, of which you know you can get value of.

Doesn’t bother me, go a head.

1 Like

Psst
Hey Cat
Did ya see my post above?

I, as a Nova player, actually encourage that direction!
It’s actually in line with SC2 Nova’s assault mode.

1 Like

I am sorry Wereelf XD I apparently had a brain fart moment and associated the Nova portrait with Catherina lol

No problem, but I’ll give you a word of advice: make designs with build diversity. Have a build that revolves mostly around Snipe for those players, who like the sniper fantasy of Nova.

Melke you drink too much tea! that’s why you confused me with WereElf.

3 Likes