Does MMR resets?

If i haven’t played with an account for years, is my mmr still the same as when i left? did it reset?

It sure does. There are plenty of complaints even on this forum, of people previously at Diamond or Master coming back in 2020 and 2021 after years of pause, to find themselves Bronze or Silver after doing their 3 placements.

There is also automatic decay for people over Diamond 5 (season rank decay caps at D5, 0 points and wont go below that) but that’s a different story.

There’s no official guide in how much it decays if you skip entire seasons, probably not very much if you skip 1 or 2, but very large if you skip multiple years.

For example if you were Diamond in 2016, it’s hopeless to think the player could retain that rank after doing placements in 2021. Their rank has likely decayed all the way to Bronze. That is ~20 skipped seasons.

2 Likes

I went from plat 3 to silver 5 after not playing a year and a half then doing my placement, all of which I won.

I would imagine it drops even lower if I didn’t play 2 or 3 years or more.

ok thank you for the replies.
I was rank 1, it was before the Bronze/silv etc rank…It’s been a long time. I played on a different account from then on
So if i now queue for QM on the old account i’m getting matches against relatively low skilled players?

Returning players are matched with new players in QM for a while. If you haven’t played in a long time, the game considers you a new player.

Which is good.

1 Like

Rank 1 is obsolete now, that was 6 years ago (when ranks went from 50 to 1) so I doubt you’ll have much MMR left from that, the system may start you from Bronze or Silver like a new player.

So if i now queue for QM on the old account i’m getting matches against relatively low skilled players?

QM and SL MMR’s are separate. It’ll probably put you in new player queue in QM which only has the Cursed Hollow map, for a while.

Thank you all, effectively that account would be like a smurf. I’ll try that experience then :smiley:

It doesnt reset, this is what happens: the system always estimates the mmr you belong in, when you stop playing for a while, the certainty of this estimation goes down and your mmr changes become therefor bigger. This is to say that if you play every day all day your mmr will change maybe 5 points, max 10 per game. But stop playing for one year and you will get changes of maybe ±200.

Just as a side note, this system can be exploited to speedrun to gm.

It does reset.

1 Like

That’s the most inaccurate post I’ve read in a while.

There is no more separate Rank Points and MMR in Storm League. They are one and the same as of 2019.

Ranked Points are now directly mapped to a player’s Storm League MMR.

Rank is no longer considered by the matchmaker.
Leaving a Ranked Match Lobby or Game results in a 500 Rank Point penalty which can be slowly regained in future matches.

Placement Matches have been reduced from 10 to 3.
Promotion and Demotion games have been removed and players will seamlessly transition through Leagues and Divisions.
The MMR range has been rebuilt and remapped to handle this.

It also doesn’t “estimate” where people belong, it places new accounts maximum Gold 5, and accounts that played a previous season, through their last season’s rank.

If you were Platinum 3 last season (2020) and win all three of your placements, you will maybe go to Platinum 2. The placements don’t mean much anymore.