Custom game content for HOTS

Would there be a possibility to have a creator mod like in SC2?

People would probably create amazing content!

2 Likes

I don’t think so…

SC2 has one since the launch.
HOTS never had one and lacks staff to make it.

Its unlikely but not impossible. In the last big AMA they said they weren’t planning on it but its also not off the table and are collecting feedback on what hero creator/editor could be.

1 Like

Someone would just find a way to create dota through this game…Dunno if that’s a good thing.

It’s very unlikely, more if you think of the fact that Blizzard didn’t care too much for this game like some years before, but leaving that beside I saw a problem with the content that you can create if this will be possible, I mean, Blizzard needs to find a way to prevent copyright problems with this tool.

Cause imagine that, for example, somebody create a map for the game and in the middle of the map are three triangles that looks exactly the same like the Triforce from Legend of Zelda games, or something like that. That should be a problem for Blizzard I think.

Leaving all the problems behind I love the idea and is one thing that i would love to see in the future, that way maybe, with user created content, the game could come back to life.

This is not how copywrite works.

It’s just an example, could be even the name of the map. Create a map with the editor and name it “Summoner’s Rift”, and becomes more popular than the oficial Heroes maps, making new people come to the game, so everybody sonner or later play that map. Do you think Riot will let it pass?? That could be some serious problem for Blizzard.

More if you know what Blizzard did with the custom content in Warcraft 3 Reforged to avoid just this. And to avoid that someone could create a new game starting their own game, just like what happened with the original DOTA in the Warcraft 3 editor.

Blizzard wouldn’t care because they wouldn’t own the content. If you host a content creation platform, by law you are protected on what your users contribute. It’s the responsibility of the creator. It’s the reason why YouTube channels get DMCAs instead of, y’know, YouTube getting shut down.

For the record, naming a custom map “Summoner’s Rift” or including a triforce aren’t grounds for copywrite. Those are just references. Official things like to change those to be safe, but Riot and Nintendo have better things to do than hunt down fan content that includes references. It only becomes a problem when you’re taking copywrited assets and using those (such as, literally taking the Summoner’s Rift map from LoL’s files).

For the record, remaking Summoner’s Rift using HotS assets would still not be a breach, because you’re not stealing assets. Riot does not have copywrite over that map shape.

The reason why Reforged is so draconian is because they were greedy, overcautious, and literally ruined every single part of that game. I expect better from the HotS team.

I don’t pretend to be a copywrite expert, and I might be wrong on some specifics, but I know this isn’t the issue.

Don’t worry, it looks like you know what you’re talking about, and could be true.

But don’t forget right there what they did with Warcraft 3 Reforged, all content made by users with the editor of that game is property of Blizzard and they can delete and make whatever they want with that content.

I see what you said about that stuff, and I think that decision was not made by the team behind Reforged but Blizzard (or even activison who knows) itself, I would not miss if they’ll do the same with a HotS editor. But could be wrong obviously.

It was promised a LOOONG time ago, but never came to fruition. With the current team that is employee’d being so small, its not happening.

Right? I mean, the barely made it with 2 new heroes per year :joy: