Choose a talent!.. I mean, item. (Healer role)

Hello.
I want to make a thread and discuss well hated by everyone idea - items in HotS.

At the start I want to say - I won’t suggest gold/buying system and farming minions.

Everyone knows Gladiator’s Medallion. Some people love it, some hate it, some don’t care.

I want to suggest a system (for healers currently) of items, what you can choose at the start of the game (the choice is permanent until the end of the game).

Let’s start:

• Gladiator’s Medallion (it’s no longer baseline and you need to choose it. Duration and CD are the same. Now can be used on allies too.)

• Healing potion (target or self using) - choose a hero to heal up to 25% of max hp over 5 seconds. Healing stops if hero gets damage. Cooldown - 5 minutes.
    Everytime your hero heals other heroes - cooldown gets reduced by 0.5 seconds. Picking up regen globe reduced cooldown of Healing Potion by 5-10 seconds.

• Mana Potion (target or self using) - choose a hero to restore up to 25% of max mana over 5 seconds. Restoring stops if hero gets damage. Cooldown - 5 minutes.
    Everytime your hero uses a basic ability - cooldown gets reduced by 0.5 seconds. Picking up regen globe reduced cooldown of Mana Potion by 5-10 seconds.

If this potion was used on hero, who has Energy or other kind of resources, it restores 25% over 5 seconds of it.

• Potion of Protection (target or self using) - choose a hero to give him a shield with 25% of max hp value for 5 seconds, what slowly decays. Cooldown - 5 minutes.
    Everytime your hero gets damage or deals damage - cooldown gets reduced by 0.5 seconds. Picking up regen globe reduced cooldown of Potion of Protection by 5-10 seconds.

Those are enough for the start. I may try to add some ideas about new items, like Tuuret and First Aid Kit from Volskaya/Hanamura.

I hope you will like it. Please write a good and informative feedback.

EDIT: GM was updated.
EDIT 2: Potion of Protection got another possible CDR mechanic.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the same effect as Deckard Cain’s Q?

Or same name different functionality?

Yes and no.

Deckard’s throws potions somewhere and people pick them up.

Those potions, what I suggest, you use by pointing and clicking at someone.

Oh.

Isn’t that just plain better because you don’t need to positon it and there is a 100% chance it will heal instantly?

As I wrote, Healing and mana restoration are not instant.

But effect will start instantly after clicking at someone.

MOST of these I’m ok with, but you shouldn’t make any mechanics revolving around mana

3 Likes

Hmm, good point.

I didn’t add CDR to mana because it would be OP.
And still you can’t use it during fight because you lose buff by getting dmg.
And it’s not spamable. So I don’t see a problem tbh.

no no, it’s simply cause the variance in

• characters who don’t use mana
  • characters who use mana weirdly (example, Whitemane)

I’d recommend spell power.

Let me add something and you check it.

1 Like

To be honest I would like 3 different items available for everyone but you can only choose 1 for the rest of the game. Not only healers.

1 Like

Percentage based on shield, mana or health is not balanced for a single target. Tracer would get negligible benefits by taking any potion while Diablo would get much more values.

I would keep the choice part and implement these new medallions:

• 50 armor for 1.5 sec.
  • Invisibility for 8 sec until getting hit.
  • Nullification, reducing a hero’s dmg by 75% for 3 sec.

better, ty

Why? Mana and healing are over-time effects and can be canceled by any dmg you get during effect, when Shield decays over 5 seconds like Lucio’s Sound Barrier.

I don’t think this one would work that well tbh. I like the item’s functionality, but the cdr would be really inconsistent across heroes. Lucio would get insane (comparatively) CDR, but Uther wouldn’t get much at all.

Role based items would be interesting for sure though. I think it would work better than the one-size-fits-all medallion

5 Likes

That’s the point.

As Lucio you don’t have good out combat healing without your E and he sucks very hard at restoring his tanks.

With Uther I can agree, but he has already a lot of tools in his kit (Armor, Stun, Burst heal, etc). Of course you won’t be able to spam Healing potion as often as Lucio, but Uther still wins Lucio at burst healing during fights.

1 Like

Generic shield, and generic mana regain.

BAD idea.

They had trouble balancing heroes due solely to Tassadar’s shields. Imagine if anyone can potentially get one?

Also, I don’t think giving mages and high mana tension heroes free mana on an activatable is a good idea. Some heroes are super strong specifically because they don’t do well in long fights.

Zagara would be unbeatable in lane early game.

2 Likes

Gotcha. Makes more sense now.

1 Like

It’s not Plasma Shield with stable hp value and Lifesteal. This is % hp value shield, what slowly decays as Lucio’s Sound Barrier and it gives you no there buffs.
Plus, 5 minutes cooldown. Even with CDR you won’t be able to spam it so much and it would be a horrible idea to try hyper-carry strat around Potion of Protection.

Again, 5 minutes CD. Plus, you lose buff by getting dmg so you can’t use it during fights, you will need to leave fight to restore what isn’t always possible.

If you use MP for such thing, you won’t have it for an actual fight.
And I don’t think it’s a good way to use it.

How to kill game’s balance