Caram comic #93: The Game

Suggested by @Hoku:

<-Prev Comic | Next comic->

My Comic AMA:

11 Likes

Well, I’m missing something again :frowning:

2 Likes

double intendre :open_mouth: (intended entendre?)

• missing the joke
  • missing the portal
2 Likes
I'm sorry Kara, I don't quite get it.

Minor nitpic from a designers point of view.

With speech bubbles, it’s kool to color them so they can match the character speaking. But when you mix dark colors with a dark text, it becomes harder to read. There is barely any contrast.

A good example of contrast you did use was the Haunted Wave which has a dark purple body but with a light color outline.

For your speech bubbles you can do a number of different combinations that can be color-coded and readable.

• Bubble outline matching the character
  • Text color matching
  • Bubble outline and text color matching

If you really want to fill the bubble to match then use a much light text color to contrast the dark brown, like white or light brown. Hot Pink bubble fill also requires a lighter text color to contrast, like a white, or even light pink.

If the character is all white, then it is safe to just put black text for them. If their color is a light color that would be lost in a white background, then it is ok, to darken the color of the text based on the character color.

Filling the bubble with color also pulls the focus to the bubbles instead of the art. Best bet is to go with text color and or outline color matching the character speaking. You already have a line pointing to the character, in case people don’t make the connection with your choice of colors.

You can even decorate the bubble if you want to try and mimic the way they speak. Like, Auriel has a more echo-y that doesn’t seem from this world. So you can add something to the bubble outline like heavenly gold circles.

Special font should also be reserved for a character trait. Cursive for someone speaking elegantly (educated or high-class type, Tyrande), or a font that is rugged for someone with a deep voice (Diablo/Azmodan). It’s meant to give a hint of HOW they speak so readers can get a better sense of their character. Characters that speak normal, just get normal font, otherwise it is another issue of readability.

Hope this helps.

My stab at it:

Medivh wants to play games while Sylvanas doesn’t.
She sends out Haunting Wave which you can swap places with. Portals also does the same thing, but Sylvanas doesn’t want to play any games, so she just leaves Medivh hanging.

4 Likes

It’s a joke about their voicelines.

Medivh says, “Let the games begin”

and Sylvanas has a voiceline, “I have no time for games!”

3 Likes

I actually put that in my post but removed it. Thought it was obvious.

Medivh opens a Portal “Let the games begin!” to attack the enemy Sylvanas who has “no time for games”, so she sends out her Haunting Wave, and start running in the opposite direction. Medivh can’t decide which to follow and thus misses her entirely. Sad. Just wanted to play.

2 Likes

One should go for the main body in that situation, correct?

You cannot win this alone unless you can CC Sylvanas. The best is to send a Hero after Syl and another after the Wave.

3 Likes

Heh, I like what you did with this.

3 Likes